Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rash from Suckling?

Default Re: Rash from Suckling?

I could really use that baking soda paste recipe. The rash seems to be drying up. It's kind of crusty. I think you might be right about being some kind of yeast infection. I also quit using baby wipes to wipe them and gave them a bath in diluted Dawn water

I ordered some antibiotics from Cal Vet tonight and I am having them FedEx overnighted. I'm just afraid somethings going to happen. They seem a little bit less enthused about eating, but that could be because I am feeding more frequently. I have not noticed suckling, but I am still going to get a new bin so I can separate them.

One of the squirrels sneezed some formula, and I'm deathly afraid she'll get pneumonia though no clicking, or wheezing. I have seen them yawn a couple times but they stretching at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by schrislip00 View Post
    Which Jackie? I PM'd Jackie in Tampa and it wasn't her.
    Hmmm - I thought for sure it was Jackie (in Tampa)

I could really use that baking soda paste recipe.
    Ok _ I doubled checked the threads I have posted and it wasnt Jackie...... it was 4skwerlz that gave me the recipe and it is just plain Baking Soda Paste made with water.
    .... it worked like a charm on the ants bites --stopped the itching and healed the little guy right up in no time flat.

Pics & Story:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...Pox&highlight=

Thanks!!! I'm going to make it up right now. I have some Aloe Vera juice and it worked wonders on their dry skin in the first few days I had them so I'll mix it up with that.

Okay. Made the paste with water and baking soda and aloe vera juice. The girls didn't seem to mind, they actually closed their eyes when I was applying it. I caught them suckling, so they are separated right now. Got some better pictures of the rashes. Antibiotics are on the way, lets hope I don't have to use them. On the one squirrel, it kind of reminds me of cradle cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Please help! Rash is BAD! Open wounds starting. I got the antibiotics today in the mall. I have ciprofloxacin, metronidazole, and sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim. Should I get infant tylenol or infant motrin?

She seems to be a little less active than the other girl, although her appetite is still hearty. Weight is up again today as well. They are still separated. Breathing is okay and poops and pee.

Here's a picture. Hope I get some responses soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

You should PM Jackie in Tampa.

This is bizarre. The yellowish stuff - is that the paste you are applying?

Do you have any silvadene cream? It can be ordered online without a script but if you get it locally you will have to get from a vet. Do you have other animals - their vet may be willing to sell you a tube. I would wash everything off of these babies and try some silvadene.

She is wet because I washed her in diluted Dawn again. Can anyone tell me if infant motrin or tylenol is best?

The yellow is like a crust. I was alternating between baking soda paste and Neosporin. Right now I am letting it dry after the bath.

She is wet because I washed her in diluted Dawn again. Can anyone tell me if infant motrin or tylenol is best?
    Infant motrin only.

A crust. Do you mean that is happening spontaneously - the skin is weeping and forming that yellowish crust? In that amount?

Can you get any silvadene?

NO Tylenol. Washing her completely and letting her dry off is the best plan at this moment. Crittermom is a wonderful source of information!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Infant motrin only.

A crust. Do you mean that is happening spontaneously - the skin is weeping and forming that yellowish crust? In that amount?

Can you get any silvadene?
    I took my dog to the vet yesterday and the tech said there was a vet that might possibly see a squirrel. I will call them. Yes, the skin seems to be weeping and forming the crust. You can't really see any puss or anything though. Just that matted yellowish fur.

Even if they won't see your squirrel, they should be willing to sell you some silvadene. It is antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral which means it hits a whole bunch of bugs. It is commonly used on burns but is excellent on all kinds of skin issues. It is also water base so you don't have the gunky issues you get with neosporin, etc (and it is vastly better than neosporin).

Can anyone tell me if infant motrin or tylenol is best?
    Infant Motrin....... if you give me her weight I can get you the dose.

If this is what I think it is, these remedies may not work.( Not sure about the silvadene if it would work or not.) I have seen this with another rehabilitator's babies several years ago. Back then we worked together to try to figure what was going on but nothing worked for her babies. After a skin scrapping, the lab results revealed her babies had Chlamydia. She lurks on TSB from time to time and also felt that this was not a typical suckling incidence. I have spoken with her and she said her Vet gave her a cream called Gentamycin to put on the affected area. Not sure without lab tests but it looks very similar. It is rare in squirrels.

Sorry, I haven't been on I have been out and about. Okay, so I called my personal vet and no one would see them unless I have a certificate of purchase from the USDA. Well, obviously I don't have that. So I called a lady that was recommended to me and her husband is a vet. After some persuasion they agreed to see the squirrels and they did do a skin scraping. They said the cytology was normal. Just a secondary skin infection like a diaper rash. He said to keep them clean and dry and use the Neosporin. I asked about the silvadene but he didn't prescribe it. I really didn't want to press my luck, I'm grateful they even looked at them and they just charged me for the skin scraping.

I still want to give her some Motrin. The squirrel with the bad rash weighs 119 grams.

Thanks everyone! I'll keep you updated. They just ate again and their appetite is still very good.

If anyone knows where I can get silvadene online, I am willing to purchase it for her. The vet said it would take a couple days to see improvement.

Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad it was not what I thought it could be. However, keep a close eye on it. It really is pretty unusual to have a rash like this with suckling. Get well little baby one.

I have not seem silvadene sold online without a RX but others may know.

I pulled some up from Mountainside Medical just last week but the site seems to be having issues right now...it is www.mountainside-medical.com and had multiple sizes...

To make the neosporin easier to apply, put a blob of it in a microwave proof dish and nuke it for a second or two - it gets almost liquid when warm and goes on lots thinner and easier.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast