Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MIKE HAS MANGE! Treatment Info

Default Re: MIKE HAS MANGE, MAY HAVE MORE SERIOUS ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by MollyBear361 View Post
    poor guy definitely needs some help
    I HOPE WE CAN GIVE HIM SOME MOLLYBEAR...SAW SOME PICS OF WINSTON EARLIER TODAY. JUST LOOKED AT SOME MORE. HE'S SOOOO CUTE!!!
    " For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Henry Beston

I agree that if you trap him he will further injure his mouth trying to get out. If his teeth have been knocked out they will grow back. If you see that his bottom teeth have way overgrown we can deal with that when he's feeling better. In the meantime, I'd just give him as much ripe avocado as possible. It's got lots of calories and fat, will not sting any wounds in his mouth, and will coat his tummy for his AB's. I like to mix meds in Simply Fruit. You know, the jams & preserves sweetened with only fruit juice? They LOVE that stuff. Blueberry or cherry. Give him the jam/meds first thing, then the avocado.

Georgia
    LICENSED MISSOURI WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girls Mom View Post
    In the meantime, I'd just give him as much ripe avocado as possible. It's got lots of calories and fat, will not sting any wounds in his mouth, and will coat his tummy for his AB's. I like to mix meds in Simply Fruit. You know, the jams & preserves sweetened with only fruit juice? They LOVE that stuff. Blueberry or cherry. Give him the jam/meds first thing, then the avocado.

Georgia
    THANKS SGM...WE HAVE AVOCADO READY FOR HIM. WE ALREADY MIXED TODAY'S DOSE WITH THE PEANUT BUTTER AND MOLASSES...MAY TRY THE SIMPLY FRUIT TOMORROW. I WONDER IF HE'D JUST LAP IT UP. HE HAD A DIFFICULT TIME WITH THE PECAN THAT THE MEDS WERE ON YESTERDAY.

" For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Henry Beston

I don't have any advice that has not already been suggested. I do think your plan of getting hime food laced with meds and then reassessing the teeth issue is a good one.

Poor Mike! This has been a horrible last month, so many of mine and other's squirrels have been hurt.

Good luck Mike!

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

poor little mouth...hope he continues to come get hand outs...
    get well Mike!

Little Mike update.... Mike didn't come to the house yesterday until late...I watched for him ALL day! He did take his meds. :nurse
    I can't get him to go for the avocado??? He would rather struggle with a peanut!!

Mike visited much earlier today...I thought he didn't look as bright. Again, wanting to struggle with a peanut instead of softer foods. Also, when he comes it seems like every other squirrel in the neighborhood show up too! Hard to get meds in him with everyone wanting their turn on the nuthouse or plate!

Overall, he is really pitiful. I've tried to see what is going on with his mouth but can't figure it out. Marty picked up the ingredients for the Boo Balls, I'm going get some ready tonight...hopefully he will be begging for them!!

Here are some pics from yesterday and today....rain does NOT help Mike's appearance!

Thanks again everyone for your input and help!!! MUCH MUCH appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    "Never, never be afraid to do what's right;
    especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake.
    Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our souls when we look the other way."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Poor guy...they look pathetic on a good day in the rain. He looks a sight... Poor guy! Mike
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

It's mating and molting season, so a lot of them look totally awful.

Did he have a swelling on the top of his nose? Is that looking better?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

HEY JLM27 AND SAMMYSMOM...I THINK THAT MIKE WAS A LITTLE IMPROVED OVERALL TODAY. HE SEEMED TO MOVE AROUND OK, HELD HIS OWN WITH THE RIVALS, AND HAD LESS TROUBLE EATING TODAY ALTHOUGH HE'S OBVIOUSLY NOT RIGHT. HE GOT HIS FINAL IVERMECTIN DOSE YESTERDAY...HIS MANGE SEEMS TO BE IMPROVING...HE'S NOT SCRATCHING AND THERE SEEMS TO BE VERY FINE FUR BEGINNING TO GROW WHERE THERE WAS ONLY PINK SKIN BEFORE. HIS NOSE LOOKS BETTER TOO...EVEN THOUGH THERE'S A NEW SCAB, IT'S SMALLER AND NOT AS THICK AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY AND IT'S NOT INTERFERING WITH HIS BREATHING LIKE BEFORE. NO SWELLING ON THE TOP. WE'RE STILL NOT SURE ABOUT HIS TEETH...I THINK THERE'S A TEETH OR JAW ISSUE. WE WILL CONTINUE THE CIPRO FOR A COUPLE MORE DAYS THEN SEE WHERE WE ARE.

Henry Beston

I'm glad Mike is feeling better. Mating season is really hard on them.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Poor Mike.

I hope he continues to get better. The WildBite is a healthy snack with vitamins. . Peanuts are like crack for squirrels, they can't say no.

In one of your pics, you can see top and bottom teeth.

Thanks for taking care of him!

HEY TD...MIKE SHOWED UP EARLY TODAY. GOOD SIGN, IMO. I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE TOP TEETH...THEY'RE HARD TO SEE IN THE BEST OF CIRCUMSTANCES AND THE WAY HE EATS, ALL HUNCHED OVER LIKE HE DOES, IT'S JUST HARD TO TELL. HE STOPS CHEWING EVERY SO OFTEN TO COUGH/HACK, DON'T KNOW. IT'S LIKE "ACK ACK ACK" REAL FAST...THEN HE GOES BACK TO EATING. HE'S MOBILE, BUT SLIGHTLY UNCOORDINATED ALTHOUGH HE STILL HOLDS HIS OWN WHEN APPROACHED BY ANOTHER SQ. I'M WONDERING IF THERE'S A NEURO ISSUE. JUST GUESSING NOW. WE'RE GOING TO TRY BOO BALLS (ALREADY REJECTED THE SOFT VERSION), BLUEBERRIES AND CHERRY SIMPLY FRUIT (SUGGESTED BY SGM). TRYING TO GET ANOTHER WILD BITE IN HIM WITH MEDS (CIPRO). ON THE BRIGHT SIDE...HE'S CHEWING BETTER, HIS MANGE IS MUCH IMPROVED TODAY...NO SCRATCHING, AND HE WAS UP AND ABOUT BRIGHT AND EARLY. THANKS FOR CHECKING ON HIM.

Henry Beston

It sounds like he is slowly getting better.

The mange treatment, the food, the Cipro that you are giving him should really help. The rest will be up to his amazing squirrel healing power.

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    HEY TD...MIKE SHOWED UP EARLY TODAY. GOOD SIGN, IMO. I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE TOP TEETH...THEY'RE HARD TO SEE IN THE BEST OF CIRCUMSTANCES AND THE WAY HE EATS, ALL HUNCHED OVER LIKE HE DOES, IT'S JUST HARD TO TELL. HE STOPS CHEWING EVERY SO OFTEN TO COUGH/HACK, DON'T KNOW. IT'S LIKE "ACK ACK ACK" REAL FAST...THEN HE GOES BACK TO EATING. HE'S MOBILE, BUT SLIGHTLY UNCOORDINATED ALTHOUGH HE STILL HOLDS HIS OWN WHEN APPROACHED BY ANOTHER SQ. I'M WONDERING IF THERE'S A NEURO ISSUE. JUST GUESSING NOW. WE'RE GOING TO TRY BOO BALLS (ALREADY REJECTED THE SOFT VERSION), BLUEBERRIES AND CHERRY SIMPLY FRUIT (SUGGESTED BY SGM). TRYING TO GET ANOTHER WILD BITE IN HIM WITH MEDS (CIPRO). ON THE BRIGHT SIDE...HE'S CHEWING BETTER, HIS MANGE IS MUCH IMPROVED TODAY...NO SCRATCHING, AND HE WAS UP AND ABOUT BRIGHT AND EARLY. THANKS FOR CHECKING ON HIM.

Thanks for checking in FW!

Have an update on Mike....fortunately he is a frequent guest on the deck, so we have been able to keep an eye on him. Yesterday he was here early, but not multiple times. He seemed better, still hacking and struggling to eat/swallow (takes him sooo long to eat anything).

Today, he was a registered guest on the deck!!! Many visits...and he ate soooooooo much better! YES, avocado, grapes and pecans I would throw to him, few peanuts. As for my Boo Balls...grrrrr Total rejection! All the other squirrels liked them though! WTH??
    The girls (Venus and Serena) even love them...so much love, Mike, was put into those balls! Show a little appreciation please!

Anyways, he is doing better, looking a bit better too, but still has the issue with his mouth. Another scab has formed and is loosening near his nose. Mouth issues/teeth issues...not sure.

Here are some pics from the past two days...

Always! everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    "Never, never be afraid to do what's right;
    especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake.
    Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our souls when we look the other way."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thanks MJS. Winston is a handsome boy. Mike looks a little better. Hope he keeps coming by on schedule to get his meds.

How's Mike? Has he been home lately? I've been worrying about him.
    LICENSED MISSOURI WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR

Mike, how are you????

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast