Thread: BIRTHDAY FOODS????

Hybrid View

Default BIRTHDAY FOODS????

I need some help for some birthday treats for my Squirt who is turning 1 yr this weekend. He always gets his veggies and some fruit and his block but i need some ideas of something i can give him for a day that wont harm him thats different than his everyday healthy meals. All creative ideas welcomed

Default Re: BIRTHDAY FOODS????

Quote Originally Posted by newsquirrelmommy View Post
    I need some help for some birthday treats for my Squirt who is turning 1 yr this weekend. He always gets his veggies and some fruit and his block but i need some ideas of something i can give him for a day that wont harm him thats different than his everyday healthy meals. All creative ideas welcomed
    Well, a few nuts (unsalted almonds, unsalted walnuts, unsalted but cooked peanuts in a shell) will certainly not hurt Squirt on his Birthday. He will love em too.

Avacado (NOT the skin or pit) is also a squirrel delicacy.

You could make a little cake with Avocado icing and nut topping.

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Well, a few nuts (unsalted almonds, unsalted walnuts, unsalted but cooked peanuts in a shell) will certainly not hurt Squirt on his Birthday. He will love em too.

Avacado (NOT the skin or pit) is also a squirrel delicacy.

You could make a little cake with Avocado icing and nut topping.
    Tubedriver!! Thanks for your feedback, i just want my little guy to have an amazing birthday He does love his avocado and nuts. But as for the cake, can he actually have cake itself? Flavors better than others? Do i bake it with real cake mix? Milk and everything? The avocado icing and nut topping is so creative i know he'll absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by newsquirrelmommy View Post
    Tubedriver!! Thanks for your feedback, i just want my little guy to have an amazing birthday He does love his avocado and nuts. But as for the cake, can he actually have cake itself? Flavors better than others? Do i bake it with real cake mix? Milk and everything? The avocado icing and nut topping is so creative i know he'll absolutely love it.
    Not sure about the cake itself. There are instruction somewhere on this forum about making up "cookies" that are good for squirrels. You could make up the cookie and then top with avocado and nuts! I'll see if I can find the cookie recipe!

I found a thread where some squirrels eat Oreo cookies! That might be a nice birthday treat for Squirt!

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

I grind up Picky Block to a powder, add a Tablespoon of Baking Powder (no aluminum kind), a splash of FV powder and an egg. Mix well and if not the consistency of cake batter, add some water. Then I pour into small round cake pans (I use 2 different sized individual muffin pans) and bake at 400 till the center is dry (poke with knife, if it comes out dry it's done).

Make sure you grease the pans.

Then I smash avocado and add just a tiny bit of FV powder, and whip well. When the cake is cool I ice the cakes with it. I use blueberries and pecan halves as decorations.

One year I also used a tiny acorn shaped carrot cake as the cake topper. Ellie pulled it off and ate it!

In the pics below the pink stuff on the blueberries is just tiny drops of pink writing icing from a tube. ALSO, if you are going to use the avocado icing, do not prepare it in advance...a couple hours is okay but not the day before.....it'll turn brown and yucky looking on you.

Name:  IMG_2299.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  295.9 KBName:  IMG_2292.JPG
Size:  284.7 KBName:  IMG_2278.JPG
Size:  236.9 KBName:  IMG_2276.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  232.9 KBName:  IMG_2255.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  251.3 KBName:  IMG_2254.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  260.5 KBName:  IMG_2253.JPG
Size:  257.1 KBName:  IMG_2252.JPG
Size:  293.8 KBName:  Ellie & Cake.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  156.5 KBName:  IMG_2297.JPG
Size:  239.5 KB

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

That is awesome!

We will need pics of Squirt eating his cake too!

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    That is awesome!

We will need pics of Squirt eating his cake too!
    Thank you Tube Driver!!

Yes, NSM, we will need a pic of Squirt eating his cake!!!!

The pics I posted were from Ellie's first birthday. I made the same exact cake for her second birthday....both years she ate the cake (I gave her a small piece each day). When the avocado got yucky I threw it all away. It is fun and neat that they can eat the cake and it's good for them (versus chocolate or true cake), but it is a huge waste of HHB's. But birthdays are only once a year so splurging is okay!!!

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page