Thread: feeding

Default feeding

So I got the FV formula, and Sydney loves it, also got the growth blocks, she nibbles on those, i am giving her formula every 4-6 hours (she is about 6 weeks) and leave a block in there all the time, i also offer her a little plain yogurt every day and 2 of the following: chopped up mushrooms, zucchini, green beans, black berries, apple, sweet potato. What else should she be getting? How much of the block should she be eating every day? She still only seems to drink about 2-4 ml per feeding, she weighs 62 grams. Can she have a small apple branch? with or without leaves? She seems to really like the wheel, and we let her out of the cage a few times a day to explore, under strict supervision
    Thanks for you help and suggestions

Default Re: feeding

Sydneysmom ....from everything I've gathered here and the advice I received, you need to try and give them the blocks only, until they will eat them...then start the veggies and other treats
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

She should stay on formula for as long as she likes. Many/most people only offer blocks while still on formula until such time as they are eating their blocks without hesitation, then introduce other foods.

As to branches, yes, they love them. Feel free.

not sure how old sydney is but she sounds very young.

the important thing about feeding goodies to babies is that they soon will spoil and they will not eat the healthy foods.

if Sydney very young under 8 weeks, i would hold off the goodies and make sure she LOVES the henry's blocks first. When she is eating them up, then you can add more treats.

oh i see she is 6 weeks old on re reading.

i would give her an almond in the shell for teething purposes. an apple branch with no leaves might be okay to teeth on, watch for choking at this age.

best thing to chew on is an old deer antler. one that is bleached in the sun.

if it is nasty antler, wash off and bake in the oven at 250 for 45 minutes to sterilize. LET IT cool for 8 hours after baking

hope this helps, i am no expert, but throwing in my 2 cents... lol

Thank you everyone, i will stop with the fruits/veggies and just feed the blocks and formula. i gave her an apple branch to chew on and she had a ball with it did i also read that she could have a cooked chicken bone to chew on? she seems to be teething. Squirrel lady, thanks for the almond idea, i will pick some up when i go shopping, i left a few leaves on her apple branch, she just shredded them, should i strip all leaves off? On the look out for an antler

Thanks so much everyone, you all are so helpful

Just for a slightly different -- and easier -- take on this, when my rehab squirrels are 6-9 weeks old I give them FV (formula) plus Henry's Blocks twice daily -- and all the high-quality rodent block they want. (I use either Mazuri or Zupreem.) Once they are really eating their blocks every day I introduce a FEW dark green veggies like kale, escarole, chickory and dandelion leaves. I don't start giving them nuts, pumpkin seeds, sweet potato or anything else until they are over 9 wks old and starting to wean themselves. I have found that this method builds chubby, healthy squirrels and keeps mamma from running to the veg market every twenty minutes. (And throwing out huge bags of stuff they refuse to eat....)
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '