Thread: Lost Baby!! Need help, suggestions.....

Post Lost Baby!! Need help, suggestions.....

Approximately 24 hours ago Rocky climbed away and has not come back. He is approx. 10 weeks old, his littermates have left the nest so we decided it was time to move the cage outside. We are still feeding him FV and giving him Henrys Blocks (growth formula) and were Not at a releasing stage.
    We have been keeping the door shut while he's in his cage, and bring him inside periodically for liquid feedings and to play. We took him out to sit on the patio and turned away for a second......... and he was gone. He came back once, or fairly close, but a black bird scarred him off.
    We have left out Blocks and water and the door to his cage is open and still outside.
    We are both wrecks. We've been not sleeping, sick, crying, and praying all day.
    ABSOLUTELY ANY comments you can share about the habits of these guys can help. Do they tend to climb up, and stay up? We're keeping food and water out. Will other squirrels attack him? Should I call wildlife control tomorrow? I'm not licensed. Of course I am praying for the best, but know he may have been found by a cat, or ..................
    He's small, prob about 1/3 the size of the adults I'm seeing around.
    We feel like we lost a child, and like failures right now. Anything will help.

Default Re: Lost Baby!! Need help, suggestions.....

The best thing you can do at this moment is to leave his cage door open and place a bowl of his favorite foods out for him (first thing in the morning) with a few nuts for him to eat....... squirrels are up at dawn. While he was probably scared the first day he took off, he is probably out there now (high in the trees) enjoying being a free squirrel now and hopefully he will find his way in a few days. If he does manage to come back please do not take him outside more unless he is safe and secure in his cage........ he can still enjoy nature from this point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaScott
    Approximately 24 hours ago Rocky climbed away and has not come back. He is approx. 10 weeks old, his littermates have left the nest so we decided it was time to move the cage outside. We are still feeding him FV and giving him Henrys Blocks (growth formula) and were Not at a releasing stage.
    We have been keeping the door shut while he's in his cage, and bring him inside periodically for liquid feedings and to play. We took him out to sit on the patio and turned away for a second......... and he was gone. He came back once, or fairly close, but a black bird scarred him off.
    We have left out Blocks and water and the door to his cage is open and still outside.
    We are both wrecks. We've been not sleeping, sick, crying, and praying all day.
    ABSOLUTELY ANY comments you can share about the habits of these guys can help. Do they tend to climb up, and stay up? We're keeping food and water out. Will other squirrels attack him? Should I call wildlife control tomorrow? I'm not licensed. Of course I am praying for the best, but know he may have been found by a cat, or ..................
    He's small, prob about 1/3 the size of the adults I'm seeing around.
    We feel like we lost a child, and like failures right now. Anything will help.
    They are wild animals with a hard wired instinct to be as they were meant to be, free! I wish I could tell you he will be alright.
    What you have described here is why a soft release done in a proper manner is so important! Young Rocky has taken his freedom and much too young to be on his own from being a captive squirrel, he should not have been outside his enclosure.

Keep your eyes out for him, he may return once he has explored and settled down from all the strange sights and sounds he has encountered.
    Do not call "wildlife control!" Beside getting yourselves scolded, possibly fined for keeping a wild animal captive, it will serve no purpose. If they were to seize him, he could be euthanized due to the fact that he has been raised in captivity.

There is a hierarchy among squirrels in the wild, he will have to fend for himself, may be chased further away by older squirrels.
    I hope he comes home...
    If he does, please do a proper "soft release" in the manner it is proposed for the intent and purpose of a successful release that will benefit him in the wild.
    Good luck to you and please keep us informed of any news.

Thanks for the support Rhapsody, I was up before 5:30 and had blocks/treats out, they have not been touched.
    If anyone has the sticky to release 101, can you please attach the link? I searched under all the areas and was not able to find.
    IF we ever see him again, I know that doing a release properly is paramount, this is why we are so upset with ourselves. My husband feels completely responsible for what happened, he knew I didn't want him outside on his own.

I have some release info on my website:
    http://mothernaturesrescue.webs.com/release.htm

Think I may have seen my little boy!!!!! I was outside today and saw a little squirrel (I suspect my Rocky) with a larger squirrel that seemed to have taken the little guy under their wing. One thing I noticed is that the larger squirrel might have been male, is it ever possible for an adult male to be showing a baby the ropes?
    I could certainly be wrong, they were around 15ft or so up the tree.
    The smaller guy was all playful, jumping on, over, under the bigger squirrel. The little one also seemed very curious to come see me, but wouldn't get too close. Maybe instincts have already kicked in? He seemed to be taking his cue's from the larger squirrel.
    I am so hopeful that our baby is acclimating to being a wild and free squirrel.

A HUGE thank you to everyone for all the help!!!