Thread: Is this mites or what?!

Default Is this mites or what?!

A few days ago I noticed that Cheeky had some red spots close to the junction of his abdomen and thighs. I thought maybe it was ant bites. Now he's starting to scratch. What do ya'll think this is?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    LICENSED MISSOURI WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR

Default Re: Is this mites or what?!

One more - up close.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm new to this so I'm not much help.

I can say that I think it's possible that it is. Google searches have shown similar looking bites on humans. Try "chigger bites squirrel" in Google.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ch...c-501_503.html

Would it be possible to be fungal (a mushroom). Can squirrels get such sores?

It is hard to tell not knowing his habitat situation but I don't think it is mites. Usually a case of mites presents as hair loss and not often sores. Is he scratching at his tummy?? To me it looks more like insect bites. Ants, mosquitoes, or fleas, maybe. Even some little biting bug in his bedding or nest box. I would empty out all bedding and nesting material and inspect for little biting creatures. Treat with Revolution or Capstar if needed.

Marty

**Mites can make him feel itchy and he could be making the little sore places by scratching his tummy.

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat
    It is hard to tell not knowing his habitat situation but I don't think it is mites. Usually a case of mites presents as hair loss and not often sores. Is he scratching at his tummy?? To me it looks more like insect bites. Ants, mosquitoes, or fleas, maybe. Even some little biting bug in his bedding or nest box. I would empty out all bedding and nesting material and inspect for little biting creatures. Treat with Revolution or Capstar if needed.

Marty

**Mites can make him feel itchy and he could be making the little sore places by scratching his tummy.
    Yes, he's scratching. He plays and sleeps in the trees in the yard during the day, then gets back in his box in the release cage at night. He didn't start this until I opened the release cage to let he & Johnny out. Johnny is living over in the pine trees with the girl squirrels - Cheeky won't leave the yard.

If that is the case, I would definitely treat hin with Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    If that is the case, I would definitely treat hin with Revolution.
    Okay.

I had a mother cat some years back that had similar looking areas close to he ears. The vet couldn't see any mites but did notice an increase in earwax so she said it could be mites (ear mites in that case) or seasonal allergies. That's when I was introduced to Revolution. It worked; mites it was. Unless someone chimes in that it could be mushrooms or some other illness, I would say using Revolution is still a pretty good option seeing as it covers a variety of unwanted guests

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish
    I had a mother cat some years back that had similar looking areas close to he ears. The vet couldn't see any mites but did notice an increase in earwax so she said it could be mites (ear mites in that case) or seasonal allergies. That's when I was introduced to Revolution. It worked; mites it was. Unless someone chimes in that it could be mushrooms or some other illness, I would say using Revolution is still a pretty good option seeing as it covers a variety of unwanted guests
    Yeah, I'll call to get some Revolution tomorrow.

I would try the Revolution. If that does not clear it up then we should look further into allergies. My bet is on the Revolution, however.

Marty

I was outside trying to get pics of Cheeky's bite or rash or whatever and this was too cute not to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELNDz8tKaMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnEK6WmwzE8

Oh my, Cheeky is very itchy. Revolution ASAP, please!!!

I just love squirrel manicures. I could use one myself.

for sharing those darling videos.

Marty

Awww...Hi Cheeky. My bet is on the revolution too. If it doesn't work you haven't hurt or lost anything anyway!

Umm guys just for clarity: are you recommending she use an entire tube or just a couple drops?

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish
    Umm guys just for clarity: are you recommending she use an entire tube or just a couple drops?
    Couple of drops down the back ONTO the skin...kitten revolution is what i've seen them recommend...

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat

Marty

i agree it is bug season also. All my wild. Have the same thing. It is bug bites

Quote Originally Posted by Unikorngrrl
    Couple of drops down the back ONTO the skin...kitten revolution is what i've seen them recommend...
    Yes, I agree too. I use a drop or 2, depending on the weight and age of the squirrel, placed between the shoulder blades on the skin. Others may have different dosing instructions. This seems to work for me.

Marty

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

Definitely not mites. Not sure what it is, I'd go with ivermectin or a little revolution just in case. Could just be a rash.
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!