Thread: Help: Young squirrel with multiple "sores".

Unhappy Help: Young squirrel with multiple "sores".

There is a young looking squirrel who comes around to get the nuts we place out for the neighborhood squirrels. He recently showed up with what looked like a sore or perhaps a bite mark near his eye. There is another of these wounds on one of his legs. The squirrel seems healthy (other than having what appears to be a sever case of ADHD) but I am worried that this could be some disease? Could he infect other squirrels? Anything I can do to help him?

Here is the best pic I could get of the "sore" near his eye.

Default Re: Help: Young squirrel with multiple "sores".

It looks more like an injury than an illness to me but I am not expert.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

This could be pox - fibroma - a very difficult virus to treat. But a short time ago, one of our rehabbers posted about a new med she is using that boosts the immune system and gets rid of this. If you go to:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...618#post847618

the first post has dosages and a link to the place that sells it. She administers to her wild squirrels through their water and I see you are providing that so you could, too.

If you can snap more pics of the wounds and put them up we might be able to do a better job of diagnosing...

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    This could be pox - fibroma - a very difficult virus to treat. But a short time ago, one of our rehabbers posted about a new med she is using that boosts the immune system and gets rid of this. If you go to:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...618#post847618

the first post has disages and a link to the place that sells it. She administers to her wild squirrels through their water and I see you are providing that so you could, too.

If you can snap more pics of the wounds and put them up we might be able to do a better job of diagnosing...

I'll try to get some more pictures. He is a very small guy and as a result he is always zooming around the bigger squirrels when trying to get peanuts from our porch. Most of the pics I get end up being blurry because he is always at full speed.

I have looked at Pox pics and the sores on my guy look a little different. There is no swelling and the hair looks missing in the area of the wound. At one point it seemed to scab over (became grayish) so I thought he was getting better but now I am not so sure. I'll post more pics as soon as I get some.

If it is pox, I'll try that formula you mentioned in the other thread although I am not sure how much water my squirrels get from the bowl I leave out?

"Scratch" (that is his name) showed up today. He is incredibly hyper (jumping over other squirrels, sprinting everywhere). I think he gets bullied by the other, larger squirrels so he has to be pretty fast and aggressive to get food. I took a bunch of pictures but 80% just turn out as blurs since he does not stand still. The sores don't on his face don't look like squirrel pox to me but I am no expert in this field. There is a sore on his right, rear leg that does resemble the pics I have seen of squirrel pox. Could they be bites from other squirrels?

I feel bad for the little guy.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

more pics needed to really say... but it seems to be battle wounds... I love black sqs! lucky you...
    thinking he is healing, active is good!

It is pretty clear that whatever the "sores" or lesions on his face are healing. They have dried up and don't appear to be bleeding or anything. The mark on his leg remain unchanged (and looks somewhat different from the marks on his face). He is still extremely active!

"Scratch" appeared to be getting better but unfortunately I have not seen him in over a week. I have seen his mother and brother and they look fine but no Scratch.

He really got bullied a lot from the other squirrels, so I hope he is just staying away but I am worried because he was pretty small. He always seemed so tough and fast for a little guy, I hope he is alright.

This looks like something I've dealt with before, the baby was in my care for a few days before these sores started, first small lumps getting bigger and then more in other places. Neosporin or peroxide did not work, these lumps developed a scab out of no where since there never was an open sore, it was odd. I took the baby to the vet who could only surmise one of two things, either parasites or skin infection which he treated for both with 2 meds, only one does of each medicine. I can not tell you for the life of me what he gave her, as this was about 6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Monipenny
    This looks like something I've dealt with before, the baby was in my care for a few days before these sores started, first small lumps getting bigger and then more in other places. Neosporin or peroxide did not work, these lumps developed a scab out of no where since there never was an open sore, it was odd. I took the baby to the vet who could only surmise one of two things, either parasites or skin infection which he treated for both with 2 meds, only one does of each medicine. I can not tell you for the life of me what he gave her, as this was about 6 years ago.

I think the sores were healing on their own. I wonder why the other squirrels gave him such a hard time? Is this common?

It is very common for bigger squirrels to not share and take food from the smaller ones even in captivity. They will run off and even hurt them over food. Whatever it was that my squirrel had cleared up quickly after the vet visit. I failed to mention this earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Monipenny
    It is very common for bigger squirrels to not share and take food from the smaller ones even in captivity. They will run off and even hurt them over food. Whatever it was that my squirrel had cleared up quickly after the vet visit. I failed to mention this earlier.
    Thanks for the info. I'll just keep an eye out for him and hopes he turns up over the next couple days. I always tried to throw him some some treats so he would not be left out when there were too many other squirrels around.