Thread: Is Fox Valley Day-One Formula 20/50 good for a 1 year old squirrel ?

Default Is Fox Valley Day-One Formula 20/50 good for a 1 year old squirrel ?

Hi I was told to give my 1 year old flyer Fox Valley Day-One Formula 20/50 along with Henry's Picky Eaters Squirrel Block so that he doesn't become malnourished. Is this true ?

Default Re: Is Fox Valley Day-One Formula 20/50 good for a 1 year old squirrel ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxisacutie1
    Hi I was told to give my 1 year old flyer Fox Valley Day-One Formula 20/50 along with Henry's Picky Eaters Squirrel Block so that he doesn't become malnourished. Is this true ?

Just curious who told you this?
    Will he still take formula?
    What kind of diet is he on now?

Default Re: Is Fox Valley Day-One Formula 20/50 good for a 1 year old squirrel ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York

Just curious who told you this?
    Will he still take formula?
    What kind of diet is he on now?
    Mrs Skul told me to do this since my squirrels diet was a mess. Helens Little Critters is where I got him and she told me all the wrong information and directions on how to care for a flyer. Thankfully Mrs Skul helped me get him on the right track, but I just recently moved from NY to PA and Ive noticed his behavior changed a bit and his interest in food decreased. I know she told me to use this to get some extra vitamins in his system but I never had the chance to order it. So now id like to know if he needs it because I can order it now. He has hamster mix during the day and at night he has steamed veggies (corn, carrots, green beans) with freeze dried chicken and he has a variety of hard shell nuts in his cage.

If he will take it, I think it will be ok until you get what is better for him. Hang on for a while and the ones that know what is best for him will be logged on any minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxisacutie1
    Mrs Skul told me to do this since my squirrels diet was a mess. Helens Little Critters is where I got him and she told me all the wrong information and directions on how to care for a flyer. Thankfully Mrs Skul helped me get him on the right track, but I just recently moved from NY to PA and Ive noticed his behavior changed a bit and his interest in food decreased. I know she told me to use this to get some extra vitamins in his system but I never had the chance to order it. So now id like to know if he needs it because I can order it now. He has hamster mix during the day and at night he has steamed veggies (corn, carrots, green beans) with freeze dried chicken and he has a variety of hard shell nuts in his cage.
    Oh if Mrs Skul told you.......you are FINE, perfect!
    Mrs. Skul is one of the flyer experts.

Jaxisacutie1

Confirm this with Mrs Skul but I believe the Fox Valley you need for flyers is 32/40. It has higher protein. Flyers need higher protein than other squirrels. They get the 32/40 as babies and as adults. PM Mrs Skul or Anne to confirm.

If Jax will take it, by all means offer it. My flyer takes a little out of the syringe and laps a little out of a baby food jar lid and he is 2 years old.

Oh perfect ! Thanks a bunch you guys ! I really appreciate it ! And one last question, this morning I found a piece of tangles hair on Jax's neck. Should I leave it until he untangles it or should I try cutting it because its a ball of matted hair. And also can he have grapes in his diet? I saw on the nutrition triangle that grapes were okay, but I just wanted to double check. Thanks again ! Jax says "THANK YOU"

I would be concerned of him choking. Please if you can safely remove it, do so as soon as possible, maybe give him a treat and while he's occupied quickly clip it off with some baby nail scissors or something safe like that.
    Also, grapes need to be peeled otherwise they can choke on the skin. And fruit should only be given as a treat, one small piece a day. Probably a quarter to a half of a grape for a little flyer.
    I just really think you shouldn't wait for that baby to get the hair from around the neck himself, it could quickly tighten and choke him. Get it off asap.

Quote Originally Posted by kastillo
    I would be concerned of him choking. Please if you can safely remove it, do so as soon as possible, maybe give him a treat and while he's occupied quickly clip it off with some baby nail scissors or something safe like that.
    Also, grapes need to be peeled otherwise they can choke on the skin. And fruit should only be given as a treat, one small piece a day. Probably a quarter to a half of a grape for a little flyer.
    I just really think you shouldn't wait for that baby to get the hair from around the neck himself, it could quickly tighten and choke him. Get it off asap.
    Its not around his neck its a piece on top of his neck. Its directly in the middle of his shoulders. Its nothing that can choke him, but I just don't know if its uncomfortable for him or if it would get worse if I leave it. As far as his diet, I normally give him broccoli, a small carrot, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, a cube of apple or another piece of fruit and a piece of freeze dried chicken treats because sometimes I cant get my hands on mealworms or wax worms.

Always always ALWAYS get any hair, thread, or string OFF of a baby squirrel as soon as possible! You would not believe the damage these things can do, including kill the baby. OFF with it!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '