Thread: I need to leave the babies for about 48 hours

Default I need to leave the babies for about 48 hours

So my babies are about 4 months old. They live in my heated basement in an enclosure built specifically for them. We are overwintering the two sisters. I feed them 2 HHBs per day each, veggies daily, some fruit daily, and a nut each every other day. My family needs to go out of town for 48 hours. The little fuzzies only like my daughter and me. There is no other option to feed them while we are gone. Is it ok to leave enough food for 2 days in the enclosure and go for 48 hours? One of the girls is bigger than the other one so my daughter is afraid the smaller one will not get enough to eat while we are gone. What so I do? I can condense the trip to 24 hours, but that would create way more human stress.

Thank you.

Default Re: I need to leave the babies for about 48 hours

I've done it in a pinch. I think they will be fine for 48 hours if you leave out plenty of food. If the bigger one tends to keep the other away from the food, place 2 different food piles in 2 areas away from each other. I've had to do that. Also, make sure the water bottle is nice & full too.

I would definitely leave a bowl with marbles or stones in it filed with water too. Just in case the bottle gets stuck. Getting a bag of the rodent blocks that you can buy at Petco etc. might be a good idea too. You can leave a big bowl of them and it seems less likely that one would eat all of them the first day. It would ensure that they were not hungry.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

We will leave a water bowl and a water bottle. I still have some of the forti-diet blocks they used to eat before they got so picky. I will leave enough HHBs for 2.5 days and some of the forti-diet blocks (just in case).

I'm going to miss them while we are gone. They are supposed to be my daughter's responsibility, but I can't wait to give them the HHB in the morning. The smacking noises they make when eating them cracks me up.