Thread: Calcium

Momma's rat Guest

Default Calcium

Someone told me I should give my Bella a calcium vitamin. Is it safe for her to have human ones like I take and if so how much should I give her?

Default Re: Calcium

Quote Originally Posted by Momma's rat View Post
    Someone told me I should give my Bella a calcium vitamin. Is it safe for her to have human ones like I take and if so how much should I give her?
    I would think a "calcium vitamin" would include vitamin D
    and that is what you would want to avoid unless the D is also
    what's called for. If your just needing to increase calcium intake,
    plain calcium without the D would be best.

Extra calcium isnt needed if the diet is correct, and if it's not correct, you'll end up having problems that calcium alone can't solve. Can you tell us what the diet is, exactly?

Though he needs vitamin D (which he should get from his diet) too much can be lethal, so we generally recommend not giving it as a supplement.

I see from another thread that you give Kaytee Forti-Diet but the rest of the diet looks not too great. Could you specify exactly what he gets each day?

Also, here is the healthy diet guide. Kaytee is OK (so long as they are actually eaten and not stashed, and not just one or two) but Henry's blocks are the gold standard. Some people will just give one Henry's in combination with cheaper blocks if money is an issue. Anyway, the guide:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...(Revised-2-13)

Going to the link, you get an html version which says one thing, yet has a link to "Printable PDF: HealthyDietPDF-2:13.pdf" which is different. Specifically Bell Peppers moved from "Group 1" to "Avoid".

The .pdf is titled, HealthyDietPDF-2_13.pdf, so folks might think it's the same version.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.