Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

  1. #21

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264
    Is it a female? Wondering if this has anything to do with perhaps being in heat or maturing (something to do with mammory glands?) Are the lumps hard or soft and squishy? The fact that they are perfectly symetrical leads me to believe it is a hormonal thing (they look to be the same size, same location). Although they could be lymph nodes, kind of odd they are exactly the same size. Can you feel any lumps in the groin area or neck?

    Just went back and reread first post, 5 yrs old. You say 'he' but from pics, looks like a female to me. Don't know anything about this type of squirrel but the area the lumps are is making me think something to do with mammory glands.
    I'm pretty sure this is a male squirrel as he used to have swollen testicles a few years back and was quite shocked too!

    The lumps are soft and squishy, no other lumps felt in other areas.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    from here they look like fatty tumors..just guessing..
    a vet would be able to aspirate them and have a better idea.. generally these tumors are benign, and often, even if removed, they come back.

    I would try the steroid treatment first, unless you do have a vet willing to try, of course that is the best advise, in a perfect world.

    Here is a very brief basic article that will help you understand the nature of them and why I would think this.
    I also had surgery on my dog to remove two and my 10 y/o sq also has them under his chin on his neck. He s too old to treat, but so far he is fine. Generally these tumors are slow to grow.
    Oral Prednisone dosed at 2mg/kg SID is what I would do.
    good luck... yes he is gorgeous. How much does he weigh?
    __________________

    lipomas (fatty tumors).
    These tumors are nonpainful, round, moveable masses that have a soft, doughy feel. They are generally slow-growing, usually benign and found in subcutaneous tissue (just below the skin and above the muscle). They can, however, be found in deeper tissues, such as the dividing walls of muscles, abdominal organs, in the mouth, inner ear and more.

    Solitary lipomas are more common in women, while multiple lipomas are more common in men.

    These tumors generally do not have a known cause, but for some (mostly in men), they are caused by a genetic condition called hereditary multiple lipomatosis. It is characterized by widespread, symmetric lipomas usually appearing over the arms, legs, chest and abdomen. This condition can be associated with Gardnerís syndrome, which also includes intestinal polyposis (many tumors or polyps within the intestine), cysts and osteomas (bone tumors).

    Treatment is relatively simple. For small (under 1-inch-diameter) lipomas, some physicians use injectable steroids. The steroids cause the lipoma to shrink and sometimes to disappear.

    Enucleation can also be used for small lesions. It is done by making a small incision, removing the tumor from the surrounding tissues and then pulling it (whole and intact) through the small incision. Stitches are rarely needed.

    Finally, for small and large lipomas, some doctors perform liposuction. This is most effective for areas where large scars should be avoided. One drawback to this procedure is that complete elimination of the tumor is very difficult.

    The most effective way to remove lipomas is through surgical excision. Tumors near the surface of the skin can often be removed in the office with a local anesthetic. However, removal of large, deep tissue or multiple lipomas should be done in a hospital setting under general anesthesia.

    Lipomas generally do not interfere with normal body function. However, if they become painful, large, are fast growing, impede movement or become noticeable under clothing, removal is recommended. Most general surgeons are willing to remove them, and some even recommend removal of all lipomas because some cancerous tumors can mimic the benign lipomas.

    Removal of the lipomas is generally safe, if you are having difficulty as a result of the size, number and location of your lipomas, you should have them removed.
    Thank you for your advice!

    However, it will be pretty difficult for me to bring it to the vet as its not legal to keep it as a pet.

    Called a few clinics earlier and they advise me to bring to the zoo!

  3. #23

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Are they symmetrical? It is sort of hard to tell in the pic but are they in the same place on either side and the same size? I would tend to not think lipoma if they are - it would be odd to have two perfectly symmetrical fatty tumors...

    Um, is there a penis someplace that we can't see?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL.
    Posts
    8,435

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    I just read through this....just wondering what others think about you taking him to the zoo/I don't know where you are (country) but are you sure they wouldn't try to take him away from you I don't mean to scare you but I just am not sure However if it is a matter of his life I guess you would have to do something I hope you can find a safe vet for booboo what a handsome guy
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14


    The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

    I'm not poof reading any of this

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Orangeburg SC
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Wow pretty squirrel, I am not an expert but the swelling are of the same size and location on the left and right. I could be the little one packing on insulation for the winter (fat), Hormonal (glands swelling), allergy (glands swelling) or fatty tumors but they aren't often mirror images of each other...

  6. #26

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Found an old photo of him (or her?) when it was still a baby!

    Possible to tell if its a male or female?



    Will definitely not be bringing him to the zoo as i doubt they will bother to do much.

    Also, the lumps are perfectly symmetrical...

  7. #27

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    That sure does look like a little girl to me. I wonder if this swelling is a mammary issue, perhaps related to mating/breeding??

    What you saw before and thought were his boy bits may have been the vulva swelling during mating season - it does that. There is no mistaking a male squirrel and his package - they really should walk on stilts!!

  8. #28

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    That sure does look like a little girl to me. I wonder if this swelling is a mammary issue, perhaps related to mating/breeding??

    What you saw before and thought were his boy bits may have been the vulva swelling during mating season - it does that. There is no mistaking a male squirrel and his package - they really should walk on stilts!!
    OH GEEZ!!!


    And all along we thought its a little boy all these years!!! And "he" always seem to be so territorial, marking chairs etc with urine and rubbing its whole body with the urine and thus we thought it's a boy!

    So, its a girl?

    is the swollen mammary glands normal? How long will it last?

  9. #29

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Just thought I would post a picture of a little boy. Can you see the difference in the positions?



    And a little girl


  10. #30

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    Just thought I would post a picture of a little boy. Can you see the difference in the positions?



    And a little girl

    Is that white thing his penis?

    thank you so much for the photos!

  11. #31

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Quote Originally Posted by booboo
    Is that white thing his penis?

    thank you so much for the photos!

    Yup. At that age, they are all head and pee pee!!

    You aren't the first to make this mistake...

    Do you have a zoo in your area that displays these little beauties? If you do, I wouldn't bring him or even mention him, but if you could speak to a keeper and ask about the mammary area swellings - lie and say you have one that comes to your yard for food and you noticed this change and were just curious - you may find out that this is something that has been observed in others.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Orangeburg SC
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Yep... they really should walk on stilts... Male's hydraulics are about where we would think the belly button goes. I believe you have a little girl.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    Yup. At that age, they are all head and pee pee!!

    You aren't the first to make this mistake...

    Do you have a zoo in your area that displays these little beauties? If you do, I wouldn't bring him or even mention him, but if you could speak to a keeper and ask about the mammary area swellings - lie and say you have one that comes to your yard for food and you noticed this change and were just curious - you may find out that this is something that has been observed in others.
    Thank you!

    They are so common here that its roaming around freely in the zoo and do not need to be displayed. Will try my luck when i happen to be around the area!

    Hope the swollen mammary glands is not something serious!

  14. #34

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Booboo, people aren't suggesting that you see a zoo vet because your squirrel is unusual, they're suggesting it because they will often see animals that other vets won't see. People here in America sometimes take their squirrels to zoo vets because regular vets often refuse to see squirrels or will generally euthanize them if they do.

    Given that your type of squirrel is usually found in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand, are you in one of those?

  15. #35

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264
    Is it a female? Wondering if this has anything to do with perhaps being in heat or maturing (something to do with mammory glands?) Are the lumps hard or soft and squishy? The fact that they are perfectly symetrical leads me to believe it is a hormonal thing (they look to be the same size, same location). Although they could be lymph nodes, kind of odd they are exactly the same size. Can you feel any lumps in the groin area or neck?

    Just went back and reread first post, 5 yrs old. You say 'he' but from pics, looks like a female to me. Don't know anything about this type of squirrel but the area the lumps are is making me think something to do with mammory glands.
    Umm...thats what I was thinking! Has this squirrel been around any other squirrels ? Could be pregnant?

  16. #36

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Quote Originally Posted by farrelli
    Booboo, people aren't suggesting that you see a zoo vet because your squirrel is unusual, they're suggesting it because they will often see animals that other vets won't see. People here in America sometimes take their squirrels to zoo vets because regular vets often refuse to see squirrels or will generally euthanize them if they do.

    Given that your type of squirrel is usually found in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand, are you in one of those?
    Yes, that's right!
    Not really comfortable in revealing the location as the fines are quite hefty here and most importantly, do not wish my little one to be confiscated!
    Have already PM those who asked where im located at!
    Thank you all for your understanding!

  17. #37

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Quote Originally Posted by sid'smommy
    Umm...thats what I was thinking! Has this squirrel been around any other squirrels ? Could be pregnant?
    Nope. We only have 1 squirrel and so far, only a wild baby squirrel love to sneak into our house, but that was years ago and after we chase it out, didn't come back again.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Booboo, squirrels are illegal to own in most of the US too, that's another reason why some people go to zoo vets. If worse comes to worse, this may be your only option. Zoo vets tend to be compassionate and help people when no one else will.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N. America
    Posts
    7,376

    Default Re: Urgent: Found 2 swollen lumps on my squirrel armpits on each side!

    Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    I wouldn't bring him or even mention him, but if you could speak to a keeper and ask about the mammary area swellings - lie and say you have one that comes to your yard for food and you noticed this change and were just curious - you may find out that this is something that has been observed in others.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •