Thread: Few Random Questions

Default Few Random Questions

Didn't know if I should post this on this thread or on the nutrition thread, so sorry if I am in the wrong spot. My boys have turned 12'ish weeks this week and I have several questions, just wanting to make sure everything is normal.

First off, they both seem happy and healthy, I have not been able to get an 'accurate' weight on them, as they are both very, very active, lol. The last truly accurate weight I got was from about a week ago on Pinky (330g).

With that being said over the last week their formula consumption has rapidly decreased, which I know they sort of start self weaning at this point, but I am worried they are not eating enough veggies to make up for the lack of formula consumption. I have tried changing veggies daily and only give like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, arugula, romaine occasionally, boy choy, etc. I keep the main veggies in their cage to the group one on the henry's chart- which they loved in the beginning, but now are really not eating. They are going through a lot more rodent block. I did realize that I was giving them too much of the HHB, so have cut way back on that and am now freaking out they are going to end up with MBD because I didn't realize they only could have a max of 2-3 of those each day.

We don't give nuts on a daily basis, they only have tried one Pecan and one Hazelnut each, and maybe 2 or 3 roasted unsalted shelled peanuts in the last week to week and a half; which they just like to chew the shell and leave the nut, lol.

I offer formula two to three times a day. They do not want anything to do with it, except at bedtime, but even then only Pinky eats it. Spaz hasn't eaten formula in the last three days, no matter how I present it. I have tried a bowl, I have tried with the nursing syringe, I have even tried just the syringe without the nipple on it. He wants nothing to do with it. Pinky will eat at bedtime, anywhere between 6cc's tonight, to 24cc's last night. Is this normal around this age? Is there something else I can do or offer it in a different way? I even tried soaking the rodent blocks in it one day, neither of them touched the soaked blocks. I just don't want them to start loosing weight or heaven forbid MBD.

Both drink from a water bottle and the water bowl when we have playtime, so are not dehydrated. I am probably being paranoid, but I don't want them starving.

Next question I have is how many hours outside of the cage should they have daily? Today I had them out about an hour and a half and then they kind of wanted nap time, but also played a bit between the two big critter nation cages I have (we put the two cages together so they have more space to run/jump/climb)

We also provide them fresh leaves/limbs/etc every other day, but they haven't really been using their nesting box yet. Besides eating the leaves they don't strip the limbs and put them in their nesting box the way I have seen some videos of babies doing, which worries me a bit. They prefer to sleep in their hammock and will bring some leaves into the hammock, but definitely prefer tissue/paper towels than leaves. Should I not put the tissues/paper towels in for them anymore and make them use their natural nesting material? I did try rubbing a pistachio on the nesting box and leaving one inside to encourage them to start using it, but it didn't make a difference. They prefer the hammock. Should I take the hammock out altogether?

I am just so worried that since I am going to have to overwinter them, since we are in Virginia, that I am going to domesticate them and they won't know what to do in spring. I love them to death, but there is no way I would ever want to keep them as pets (no fault of theirs by any means, I just feel it isn't in their best interest, since they are both healthy and totally releasable). Would rather them be free and wild neighbors in our yard that I can give snacks/treats to.

My body is covered in tiny squirrel scratches from being used as a literal squirrel kitty tower, lol. Going to go order a climbing tower tonight to help with some of their climbing/jumping needs and desires. I don't have a room that I can dedicate to them and do not feel comfortable letting them just run loose through the house, so we try to keep them confined to our main level, but today Spaz, the more adventurous of the two, decided it would be fun to go downstairs. I was a nervous wreck that I wouldn't be able to get him back, but luckily when I went down he was just exploring the downstairs living room and saw me and jumped right up my leg. Pinky is more of a homebody and doesn't leave me or the cages or venture very far.

I am so sorry this is so long, I just have had so many questions for the last few weeks and trying to make sure I do everything right for these guys. Thanks for any tips/tricks and advice anyone can give. I love this forum, every thread I read always has so much helpful advice!! You all are truly a God Send! Here's a photo of Pinky 11/1 eating his peanut on top of the cage, and of the two of them sitting still 10/18 with their veggies.

Name:  1E7ED650-0811-45C6-9E07-822C1F0DAA40-preview.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5097.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  117.4 KB

Elizabeth
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Few Random Questions

First off, they look wonderful! Great job! It sounds like you’re doing everything right. I do have a couple of suggestions though.

The formula: what you have described sounds normal. As they get to be about 12 weeks there is so many more exciting things to do and explore and eating formula isn’t one of them. Continue to offer it by whatever method works best…bowl or syringe. If Pinky will continue to take it by syringe one time a day then go for it. You can also offer full fat vanilla yogurt in a bowl. Some squirrels love it and others not so much. It’s messy…so be prepared.

Outside cage time: I think 1.5 hours is adequate especially considering the size cage you have them in. As they get older it usually becomes increasingly difficult to get them back into the cage. This is where you can reinforce some positive behavior by giving them each a half or a quarter of an u shelled almond AFTER they have been returned to their cage. This will work if you don’t give them nuts at any other time. The best way to prevent MBD is to strictly limit the number of high phosphorous foods, such as nuts and corn, in their diet. This is why I suggested only giving them a portion of an almond.

I find it easier to take my squirrels into a bathroom or bedroom for play time….somewhere that they are contained. My husband and I usually train them to jump on our shoulder when we open the cage door then we walk very quickly to the bathroom (bedroom) where we close the door and let them play. We stay in there with them and let them jump on towel bars to us or climb the cat tree we had in there. Then when it’s time to go back to the cage we get them on us and walk quickly to the cage. Once safely inside is when we’d offer a nut piece.

Bedding: I’ve never been overly concerned about any of my guys using leaves for bedding. If they did…fine and if they didn’t…fine. When they are released they will know what to do with the leaves. I wouldn’t remove the hammock. Matter of fact I move all their cozy cube and hammock bedding to the release cage when I’m preparing them for release. I also add a couple of nest boxes to the release cage, let them get their smells in them and become familiar with them and then move one…or both…up to a tree I want them to call home. If you leave a nest box or cube in the release cage then if they choose to return to the release cage for the first few days they’ll have somewhere to sleep.

I know you spoke of overwintering. I’m not familiar with Virginia weather or how late in the season people release there so I don’t know if a release this year is feasible or not. For sure the older they are when released the better so there’s no problem with overwintering except the potential to drive you nuts.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

eshepard (11-04-2021)

I forgot to add, you can purchase some Envigo Harlan Teklad 2018 block and put that in the cage with them. They can eat as much of that block as they want and it’s very healthy for them. It’s not nearly as tasty as HHB’s and is relatively inexpensive. It must be purchased online and can be bought in small quantities. This way you don’t have to worry about them starving.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

eshepard (11-04-2021)

Thanks so much Mel! They have the Teklad 2018 that they have been getting since I very first introduced solids. I read a ton on here about them liking it first since it is kind of their 'bread and butter' so to speak. So they definitely have plenty of that. They definitely eat up their HHB first, veggies are kind of hit or miss. I will try some yogurt when I go to the store today. Is there a specific kind that I should buy that is better than any other? I know you said FF so I will look and see what they have. Would greek or Sugar Free be better?

They are definitely getting harder and harder to get back in their cage, except at bedtime. they still kind of snuggle when its nighttime and don't put up too much fuss when I open the door and put them back in the cage after the attempted bedtime feeding. I just don't want them going nuts though the winter, our nights are already getting into freezing temps so I definitely don't want to try to soft release them now. I have been using a clicker (like the dog training ones you get from PetSmart) anytime I give them a half a blueberry (or any sort of what I would consider a treat), so they get used to the sound and hopefully will continue to remember it when they are released. It also works relatively well for corralling back to the cage when playtime is done.

On another note, I had talked to a neighbor who had a 'pet' squirrel and she said I should keep honey or Karo syrup in their water- is this an old wives tale? I would think they probably need to get used to the taste of plain water, but she said her squirrel died because of the lack of sugar and they need it in their water source. 🤨

Our leaves are getting scarcer and scarcer, is there anything else anyone recommends for over wintering entertainment? We have used the K-Cup boxes to kind of entertain them, and we will still be able to get branches for them, but the leaves they really seem to love which will be gone soon.

Thanks again!! You all are amazing people!