Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy, East Coast and the Squirrels

Default Hurricane Sandy, East Coast and the Squirrels

Hopefully there are not too many baby squirrels in nests right now. But I'm concerned about the adults and the nests in trees.

Being that most of the leaves have fallen and the branches are bare, I'm afraid the nests will be blowing out of trees with the impending storm and winds with it.

I went out to locate my little one that I've been watching and can't find her, and all of the other squirrels are barking in the tree tops. I wonder if it's because they sense the coming storm.

I'm in the direct impact zone, just outside of Philadelphia. I will keeping a close watch on the trees outside.

note - I wasn't sure what topic to put this under, I can move it if necessary

Garden71 Guest

Default Re: Hurricane Sandy, East Coast and the Squirrels

They know.
    When we had the blizzard in NY a few years ago I have pics of my little wilds getting ready. I will post them when I get home.

im in the same boat as you solar. i live in central jersey about 5 miles from the bay and backed by a river that always floods. Thankfully my house is not in a flood zone but a block away it is considered a flood zone. i too am worried about the squirrels. I know they know to go to hiding i hope but i still am worried. ive been throwing tons of nuts in the yard so they can store them. Hopefully the storm turns and we dont get what we got last year with irene.

Garden71 Guest

This two had everthing form Christmas wrap to plastic bags in this tree.

G71 -- great pix!
    solarx10: if it puts your mind at ease at all, in the midst of all this apprehension we share, the leaf dreys are only used by squirrels in the summertime and at this point most have abandoned them for more substantial nests in trees or -- sorry to say -- buildings. Not quite as bad as those March nor'easters we get every year that blow the leaf dreys to hell and high water and pinky squirrels fall from the sky . Not saying this is not going to be horrible.....but we don't really need to be concerned about squirrels in leaf nests right now.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Attached Images Attached Images  

Okay, I had read that before that they abandon the dreys in fall and they did leave the one directly out front that was near the lowest branches. The one I see them go in at in the late evening is in a close by tree but much, much higher and secure looking. She looks almost full grown now.

Of course I'm concerned for all the squirrels, but her a little more because she is blind in one eye. I don't want her to get lost in the storm chaos. I'll be happy when I see her afterwards.

Garden71 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by solarx10
    Of course I'm concerned for all the squirrels, I'll be happy when I see her afterwards.

Garden71 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone
    LOVE IT!!!!!!

Wow Stepnstone that map is not good for me. I'm right on the neck of jersey in the totally screwed bubble..lol

Our little island is encased by two rivers so I know the feeling but I've got four kayaks and a cabinet full of liquor.

So if you see a wet drunk floating through Jersey... wave!

Your map made me LOL stepnstone. Being a Floridian I know what it feels like to have a hurricane breathing down your neck. Wishing you all safe passage through this one.
    MsOakley

LOL stepnstone I might jump in that boat with ya...lol . What kind of precautions with formula and blocks should I take if I lose power? I know to move Squirts cage from the window but I'm worried about the formula. Can I give it to him right after mixing it in case I can't store it in the fridge?

We are so screwed. The forecast couldn't be worse if it were a Category 5. Both the cold front stalled to the west and the jet stream going the opposite way it usually does makes for the worst possible situation on the NY coastline. This means waves pile up and continue to bash the shoreline and everything floating on it to bits for two, possibly three days.

Please pray for us, TSB.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Very concerned for everyone from NJ up the shore into New England. It is going to be very bad and I am very worried. Tie everything you can down, board up and hunker down. (And don't forget the extra batteries!)
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    We are so screwed. The forecast couldn't be worse if it were a Category 5. Both the cold front stalled to the west and the jet stream going the opposite way it usually does makes for the worst possible situation on the NY coastline. This means waves pile up and continue to bash the shoreline and everything floating on it to bits for two, possibly three days.

Please pray for us, TSB.
    It's good to see people take this seriously. I minor in meteorology and have not studied a "hybrid" storm such as this. I imagine it to leave damage and flooding.

Here's a simple tip for everyone- Fill zip lock bags with water and freeze them (do this NOW). That will help your freezer stay cool and provide water if you lose both power and water.

Remember this is a 24-48 hour storm, and power crews wait unlit the storm subsides to restore power. So even if they get to you first after the storm, you will still be without power for a 1-2 days minimum.

We are in the totally screwed zone as well. At least it's looks like any snow will be to our West. I have plenty of candles and wine but hubby says some bottled water might be better for the children. My wilds were out en mass this morning at dawn (the usually sleep in a little later). I have extra wild food out and they are chowing down.

Skweeks, the family and I will be sending all the positive thoughts, energy and prayers we've got to all our TSB family and all the wild critters that are in the storms path.

It's bad when I don't notice big weather deals like this till I look on here. Not lookin at impact here other than snow being called for tomorrow and tues. 72 yest and sunny then suddenly today it's freezing I need to watch the weather more. Best of luck to all in the impact zone hopen everyone pulls through this. I'm from Fl originally and know what it's like.
    Your never gonna be alone from this moment on,
    If you ever feel like letting go I won't let you fall,
    When all hope is gone I'll know that you can carry on,
    Were gonna take the world on I'll hold you till the hurt is gone

You gotta live every single day like its the only one, what if tomorrow never comes?

You made me wild, then you tied my hands.

Thinking of you!

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber

Please pray for us, TSB.
    ohh noo Maura get out and take your babys.. Please be safe.. u can come here..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast