Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Possums dangerous to squirrels

Default Are Possums dangerous to squirrels

Last night I found a small possum clinging to the outside of the rc right by the nest box. Was it trying to get to my squirrels? I know raccoons are dangerous, but what about the possum? I got it off and shooed it away. By it's size, I would say it was a juvenile.

Default Re: Are Possums dangerous to squirrels

I don't think so. Did you have any food in there? I would think it would be more drawn to any smell of food you had put in for the squirrels then the squirrels themselves.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Oh good. Well, there may be some rodent block in the nest box. The veggies are clear at the opposite corner like 10 ft away. I don't know maybe the little possum was confused and thought it was in a tree. I gently got it off the cage and shooed it away. Didn't want to hurt it, but I didn't want it to hurt my squirrels either.

Quote Originally Posted by kastillo
    Last night I found a small possum clinging to the outside of the rc right by the nest box. Was it trying to get to my squirrels? I know raccoons are dangerous, but what about the possum? I got it off and shooed it away. By it's size, I would say it was a juvenile.
    Yes, a possum will take on a grown chicken to eat it. So, yes a possum will eat a squirrel. A squirrel can smell a possum coming so it gives it the advantage to run. Chickens on the other hand, they usually die unfortunately if the possum gets it in it's mouth.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

Opossums are not a threat to a squirrel. Opossums will eat just about anything, but they aren't that quick so that is usually babies and dead things. They'll eat a nest of baby squirrels if they come across one, or bird eggs, baby birds, etc. but most of their meat is road kill. They are not a threat to a full grown squirrel. How big was the little tyke? Was he big enough to be on his own (7 inches not including tail)? I'd be more worried he's a little one that lost his mom than one trying to kill your squirrels.
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelsrule&bunniestoo from:

elliek1 (11-22-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
    Opossums are not a threat to a squirrel. Opossums will eat just about anything, but they aren't that quick so that is usually babies and dead things. They'll eat a nest of baby squirrels if they come across one, or bird eggs, baby birds, etc. but most of their meat is road kill. They are not a threat to a full grown squirrel. How big was the little tyke? Was he big enough to be on his own (7 inches not including tail)? I'd be more worried he's a little one that lost his mom than one trying to kill your squirrels.
    I wasn't saying a possum ate a squirrel, I was just confirming they would eat one if they could. Same thing you replied I think. I think we are on the same page. I was responding to someone asking if they would harm a squirrel, and they would if they could catch it. mjs

The possum was about 18 in from nose to tip of tail. Not a baby but not an adult either. Sadly I see all sizes hit on the roads around here, I guess partly do to them being not very fast. Also partly do to them eating dead things on the road. I would have happily taken this possum in if I thought it too small to be on it's own. I gently coaxed it off the cage with a towel and shooed it off into the woods. BTW, this was in the middle of the night and my squirrels were sound asleep. So it couldn't see them, maybe only smell them.

Thank you for being so kind to the possum, so many people are afraid of them because of their look. You did the right thing. But a possum can be a danger to caged squirrels if they can get in the cage, especially if the squirrels are sleeping. Thank goodness we know to use small strong safe wire for our release cages.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

are possums dangerous to squirrels?

YES... we all know possums work for the CIA... can't be trusted.

but yes, they eat dead things and their mouths would be worse than a cat's mouth if they bit a squee.

it would be a terrible infection.

would it attack? I sorta doubt it.

but possums will eat ANYTHING, young tender squirrel is something they would love to bite into if they get a chance.

Remember, those possums can't be trusted.......

Yep, just look at Gertrude.....she is super sneaky and can't be trusted. Don't let that smile fool you!!!
    Name:  kates possumtsb.jpg
Views: 5625
Size:  52.5 KB
    Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndHandRanchRescue
    Yep, just look at Gertrude.....she is super sneaky and can't be trusted. Don't let that smile fool you!!!
    Name:  kates possumtsb.jpg
Views: 5625
Size:  52.5 KB
    That's how they get you sucked in with those cute baby faces.... Those eyes look a wee bit shifty to me...

Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

I remember when I was in grade school someone brought a possum in to show the class. I remember thinking , that's much cleaner and fluffier than the possums in the wild. Kinda like a teddy bear. When they are raised by humans they look so cute. Anyway, I've lived in the woods all my life, and one of my earliest memories is my mom removing a wild possum from our garage. She picked it up by the tail cause she thought it was dead. Well it came to life, broke free, and ran off. I've never been afraid of possums. I always check the roads for the dead ones - females carrying babies - to see if babies can be saved. Think I'd fall in love with a possum just as quick as a squirrel LOL!
    P.S. Gertrude is precious!!

Please nominate Gertrude for the next squirrel calendar! She is awful cute in that picture.

Garden71 Guest

They are cute. I saw a baby by me a few months ago and it was a little fur ball soooo cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden71
    They are cute. I saw a baby by me a few months ago and it was a little fur ball soooo cute.
    How could anything be so cute when they are little and grow up to be so UGLY?

We got possums everywhere around here. They are thick as fleas on a hound dog.

No one is trapping coons anymore around here or hunting them for fur anymore, so the coon population is back to normal here too! I forget and leave out some edibles in the yard, I can turn on porch light and see 20 or 30 running off! HELP! Free possums and packs of wild coons for adoption!

STrictly a U catch kinda deal here now.. don't get excited. I ain't catching no coons or possums by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazySquirrelLady
    How could anything be so cute when they are little and grow up to be so UGLY?
    I will be nice, but my God what a softball to hit out of the park. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mdyoung216
    I will be nice, but my God what a softball to hit out of the park. LOL
    well they ain't cute when they get big and hiss at me.

Sorta look scary then and I run off as fast as I can! eeekk! I's skeered of them possums........ I had to pick one up by the tail in the wild one time... ewwww it smelled bad. I know it wanted to bite me bad... lol.

me, i'm staying out of them possums path! I will step to one side for them anytime! Be free possums.. be free...... heehee

Quote Originally Posted by CrazySquirrelLady
    well they ain't cute when they get big and hiss at me.

Sorta look scary then and I run off as fast as I can! eeekk! I's skeered of them possums........ I had to pick one up by the tail in the wild one time... ewwww it smelled bad. I know it wanted to bite me bad... lol.

me, i'm staying out of them possums path! I will step to one side for them anytime! Be free possums.. be free...... heehee
    I figured you would know how my twisted mind works by now. I was going to says, "you were a baby weren't you." LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mdyoung216
    I figured you would know how my twisted mind works by now. I was going to says, "you were a baby weren't you." LOL
    well I was a cute baby, but no pics of me exist on the internet, so you don't know how I turned out... lol.

once i got that artificial eye, I look real good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast