Thread: Hello

Jamesjr999 Guest

Default Hello

Hello from Jethro and me, Jethro is 6 and 1/2 weeks old, my cat Amigo showed up with him when he was about a week and a couple of days old. Thank God he did not injure, I have never raised a wild squirrel before so went to internet to find out what to do, I looked outside to see if any squirrels where looking for their baby, but I live next to woods and he could have come from any where, then started calling rehabbers in my area but everyone I called either phone was disconnected or someone else answered and had no idea what I was talking about so raising the baby myself, he seems healthy, as a matter of fact he is a little pudgy, and he poops little yellow pellets and from what I read that means he is okay, he however makes a real light sneezing sound occasionally, I watched the pneumonia video and its nothing like that, is this a normal sound they make?

Default Re: Hello

It's normal for them to do that once in a while. Mine do it too. As long as it's not clicking with every breath like in the video.

There have been some cases with cat caught squirrels that do survive and you might just be one of the lucky ones, cat slava can be deadly to them.

Is this your first squirrel your attempting to raise?
    Can you share with us some details on such things as: What are you feeding him? What is he being contained in?
    What type bedding are you using? Just for starters...

Jamesjr999 Guest

Yes Jethro is first squirrel I have ever tried to raise. I am feeding him Hartz precision nutrition milk replacer for puppies plus calcium, I know this is not what is recommended but in my defense when you go to different places on internet one says feed this then another says no feed him this instead then I find out latter that it is not good anymore use something else but I live in small town with no national named pet stores and this was available and he needed something besides 2% cows milk which I was feeding him 1st couple of days, after I made and fed him re-hydrating formula, to keep him alive, so I got this in powder form and mixed 2 to 1 water and added splash heavy whipping cream which he gobbles down, I am going to pet smart this afternoon should I try and find different formula or keep him on same, he seems to be healthy to me, I attached a couple pics, hopefully I did it right. I am keeping him in a 2'x 2' open box with a cut off fur hood from one of my nieces old coats with a hot bottle wrapped in cloth and I keep him in my bedroom away from my other animals ( 1 dog and 1 cat), my brother is bringing me a 5' by 5' cage this weekend and I will either build a cage or find another one when needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I'm very aware of "other sites" with conflicting information, what you won't read about is the high mortality rate of the squirrels

that didn't survive on that conflicting information!

I'm going to assume you joined TSB to do the right thing for your squirrel, "seeming to be healthy" to you is not anywhere saying

that he indeed is. The proper nutrition for a squirrel is vital to their continued survival! They can appear active one minute and crash

the next leaving you standing there heartbroken in total confusion.

TSB covers all aspects of caring for baby squirrels supported by highly experienced members, please read our forums for the proper care

and nutrition for your squirrel. It will save his life!

You can start here...

TEMPORARY Goat's Milk Formula***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***While waiting for the Fox Valley to arrive...

Temporary Formula for Infant Squirrels – The Goat’s Milk Formula

Because of recent manufacturing issues, Esbilac and other puppy formulas are no longer being recommended for squirrels or other wildlife. The formula that TSB recommends, Fox Valley Day One, is currently available online at www.foxvalleynutrition.com and www.henryspets.com. But those require shipping and this baby squirrel needs food NOW.

One of our senior members who posts as Jackie in Tampa uses an excellent temporary substitute, and it can be assembled from locally purchased ingredients:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels may do better digestively if, instead of being given Fox Valley formula straight, mix the Fox Valley 50/50 with the Goat’s Milk Formula assembled WITHOUT the heavy whipping cream.

*It is recommended that when just starting to feed a new baby that the first feedings be made without the heavy whipping cream. This will give their digestive systems a chance to acclimate from mama’s milk to our substitute without the harder-to-digest whipping cream. Once they accept the formula and are eliminating properly, the whipping cream can be gradually added in.

When your Fox Valley formula arrives, please transition your babies to the new formula slowly, by blending the Goat’s Milk Formula with the blended and liquefied Fox Valley formula, increasing the ratio of Fox Valley with each feeding until you are no longer using the goat’s milk.

Resized Pics...

More questions...
    Is he on heat? How often do you feed? With what are you feeding?
    In the second picture there looks to be white spots on his ear??
    When did his eyes open, do you have a weight?

I know it's a bomb shell of questions but it's nessasary to be able to help you with him.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Jamesjr999 Guest

I have a water bottle I change with hot water every 2 hours wrapped in cloth, I feed every 4 hours now, I have a syringe to feed him, that is just the color of his fur on his ears, his eyes opened a little over a week ago, he weighs about 120 grams, I am going to store to buy the goats milk and other ingredients for the temporary formula this afternoon and will order the fv today, I have been feeding him some avocado and squash and bits of apple all with out skin, so far he has only nibbled on the avocado and just played with the rest

........... i love that name did u name him after gibbs from ncis?!
    Fomay The Squirrel

mjs Olympia's Photos http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/a...palma/Olympia/

mjs Olympia's Thread http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35525

mjs You Tube http://www.youtube.com/user/JJBBGirl85?feature=mhee

Olympia's facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/messages/olympia.squirrelson
    This person cant spell for Shiz and they have BAD arse grammer

Jamesjr999 Guest

Lol yes I did, always thought he was a bit squirrerly lol, and the name just fit him

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesjr999
    I have a water bottle I change with hot water every 2 hours wrapped in cloth, I feed every 4 hours now, I have a syringe to feed him, that is just the color of his fur on his ears, his eyes opened a little over a week ago, he weighs about 120 grams, I am going to store to buy the goats milk and other ingredients for the temporary formula this afternoon and will order the fv today, I have been feeding him some avocado and squash and bits of apple all with out skin, so far he has only nibbled on the avocado and just played with the rest

Heating pad would be best, the kind that does not shut off set on low placed half under his cage so he can move off if he gets to warm.
    What is his intake per feeding? He should be eating 5-7% of his body weight.
    on the goat's milk and ordering the FV! ~ Pull the food!
    The first thing you want to introduce and get him used to eating is a good rodent block, once weaned it is his best prevention against MBD.
    Although there are other block products on the market, TSB reccomends HHB's, they are specially formulated for squirrels. They have to be ordered on line but shipping is fast. http://www.henryspets.com/
    I would put block in with him now even though he will only play with it, maybe nibble here and there but he will get used to the smell and start eating it when ready. Only after they are eating their block well would you want to start introducing other healthy veggies. Fruit and nuts should only be given as a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesjr999
    Lol yes I did, always thought he was a bit squirrerly lol, and the name just fit him
    awsome thats my fav show
    Fomay The Squirrel

mjs Olympia's Photos http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/a...palma/Olympia/

mjs Olympia's Thread http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35525

mjs You Tube http://www.youtube.com/user/JJBBGirl85?feature=mhee

Olympia's facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/messages/olympia.squirrelson
    This person cant spell for Shiz and they have BAD arse grammer

Hi and welcome James and baby Jethro pics are too cute! Please listen to these wonderful people here- they really know how to raise squirrels to be healthy and happy. Jackie in Tampa is the squirrel whisperer- They helped me with my little girl and she is now almost 3 yrs old-and is a successful release back to the trees
    Still comes to visit her momma squirrel (me) daily
    Your on the right path!

Jamesjr999 Guest

okay fed him the goat milk formula last night and this morning but it seems a little too liquidee can I add more cream or yogurt to thicken it up?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.