Thread: flying squirrel with broken wrist, any advice?

ahoffer2009 Guest

Unhappy flying squirrel with broken wrist, any advice?

Hey, I have a approx 10-11 week old southern flyer. Got him as a baby, fed him and he's doing fantastic. We were planning on releasing him, but today he tried to jump approach 2 feet up onto something and missed. We believe he now either has a broken or sprained wrist. He was still running around, but tucks it up under him and is non weight bearing on it. He's also just recently hid himself away and seems to be in pain. Anything I can do to help him?

Default Re: flying squirrel with broken wrist, any advice?

I am on the Phone with another flyer emergency. Can you Email your Number and a Video of this Flyer? Can you poss a Pictures of when you found him. How long exactly you had him.
    What Formula did you raise him on? What Formula is he on Right Now?
    Where do you live? Do you have FoxVally 32/40? Do you have any Baby or Children's Motrin or Ibuprofen? Thanks I will be right back.

ahoffer2009 Guest

Hey was raised on proper f puppy formula, but has been off of it for around 2-3 weeks. Eats nuts, few fruits and some bugs. I'll try to figure out sending a picture. But his paw is limp after the wrist. He applies little to no pressure on it. He will use it to cup food when eating, but does not actively move the fingers. He stayed ctive at first but i think that was just instinct, hes now in his little nest resting, no real movement. I live near zanesville ohio, and have only adult medication till morning. I have a vet tech friend coming over then and will contact a vet in the morning. He's in an aquarium without anything to really climb, with a heating pad set on low. Just looking to help the little guy till morning.

Thank you for any help, much needed

While you wait for Mrs Skul to come back and help...... I can give you the dose for Infant Motrin if you can give me a weight on your little guy.... this will help with swelling and give relief to any pain he is having.

ahoffer2009 Guest

Unhappy Re: flying squirrel with broken wrist, any advice?

Oh my, I have no idea of his weight. He is around 4 inches long not including his tail. Very healthy weight for that size if it helps any. Approx 10 -11 weeks old.

If you can post a pic then maybe Mrs Skul can give us an estimation on what she thinks your squirrel weighs...... I do not want to guess on such a small creature and be wrong...... thats what I keep a food scale around for --weighing all the grey squirrels and baby possums I get in.

All medicines are based on the animals weight in grams. Do you have a kitchen scale? A postal scale? Size can be deceptive and doesn't tell us anything we need to help.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

I am Back.
    A baby 10 or 11 weeks needs to still be on Formula. FoxVally is made for Squirrels and flying Squirrels. The Puppy formula is not enough to help the bones Grow.
    Now he should be eating Fresh Vegetables and a Leafy green salad with Flying Squirrel Blocks every Day. And the Protein. At 11 weeks he should still be eating Fox Vally 32/40 3 to 4 times a day. Along with the fresh Vegetables.
    We need to change the Diet or this baby will not make it to be 1 Year old.He can get MBD which is a Calcium Deficiency. Which weakens the Bones, and will Kill your Flyer. I am not trying to scar you. But if the baby has broken his foot or leg.
    This could be the cause of it. Now You do have access to Post a Video. and Pictures. Is their any one who can help you do this? Can you Email the Video and Picture to me? cmsokla@nctv.com
    Do you have a Gram scale? We Need His Gram weight to dose the Motrin or Ibuprofen. Can you call me? Can you text me a picture? It would be better if you Emailed it. But Text I can guess hi weight.
    Carolyn Can you walk them threw the steps how to Post Video or Pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Skul

Carolyn Can you walk them threw the steps how to Post Video or Pictures?
    The easiest way is to use Photobucket.com --this way you do not have to worry about your pics or video being to big to load on TSB,
    the site takes care of all that stuff for you.......
    for pics use the 4th code on Photobucket (IMG CODE) and paste it on here.

Has anyone heard back from Ahoffer2009??
    I sure hope the little one is OK.
    Hey TSB Keep and Eye Out For Them. We Need to Fix the Diet on this Baby soon if they Come Back.
    I hope the leg is just a sprain.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.