Thread: Feeding Help????

Default Feeding Help????

my little guy is about 7-8 weeks old and weighs 165 grams and eats 5 times a day at 9cc's each feeding. He's starting to chip/eat away at his henry's block and im noticing blood every couple of feedings in his mouth and then it goes away.(im assuming this if from teething or eating the block). Once i switch to 4 feedings of formula and start to introduce him to solids do i give him more cc's at each feeding after I cut out 1 feeding time or do i still give him 5% of his body weight?

Default Re: Feeding Help????

I meant in the last post he weighs 180-185 not 165. Does less feedings mean more cc's when i switch to 4 feeding a day instead of 5????

Well, the most I have ever fed my big squirrels as they grow up, is about 12-14 cc. Their tummies can only fill so much. I would keep feeding formula for right now, as long as the squirrel accepts it. As they get older, you may see them refuse a feeding here and there. This is when you cut out a feeding, and maybe increase the amount a tiny bit.
    I have never had a squirrel bleed from eating. Just keep and eye on that!
    At this age I put a rock in the cage for them to chew on, and they do! They must be able to grind down their teeth, and the teeth of a squirrel grow constantly.

Hi wonkawillie. thanks for the advice. i'll definately keep an eye out on the bleeding. I havent tried a rock yet but he does get apple sticks. i notice when the apple sticks are in the cage he chooses them over his block, so sometimes i take them out so he can eat his block because the sticks are just for chewing, at least thats what the package said..lol

To help with teething, use a clean femur bone (petsmart, petco) or deer antler (chris' squirrels and more). Healthy to gnaw on. I would be a little concerned about the bleeding too. Just keep an eye on it. Baby may be biting lip.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Thanks Anne. i will have to go to petco today anyways for some things so i will definately check on that and see if i can pick one up for him. Do i buy a large or small one??