Thread: Is honey OK for squirrels?

Default Is honey OK for squirrels?

Sweet Pete has decided he doesn't want to eat much. He had a really rough time and it's a good thing Stacey found him when she did. He wouldn't have lasted another night. So he's been sleepy and isn't very enthusiastic when it's time to eat. I thought some extra fluids would be good. I have some good raw honey. Honey has so many nutrients and is an immune booster as well, but can I dilute some in water and offer it to him between feedings to add fluids and maybe provide some extra energy. He's been here two days and it's the fourth day since he was rescued. His little poops are still black--like mamas milk poo--but it's been awhile since his mama fed him. Looks like good ol Fox Valley gold should have showed up by now. I'm starting to worry. Just wondering if honey would perk the little guy up some.

Default Re: Is honey OK for squirrels?

I don't think so, but I don't remember why I have that in my head. Let me look through my books. Be back

raw honey can contain botulism spores... so it would be pretty risky.
    Squirrelmum to Mr. Fred, Mr. Barney, Wilma & Betty, Shorty & Chiquita...
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=33781

I had a pretty long debate about this over on the NFSA board with someone else about this. Here is the link to the thread:
    http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic....t=honey#p68870

She is actually qualified and thinks it's ok, I am not qualified but I feel better safe than sorry, so I don't feed it
    Squammy to Momo, the flying squirrel.
    <3 Momo - adopted Nov 1, 2011 - Went to rainbow bridge August 2014
    Married Momo's squaddy on April 27, 2013!!
    Fur mommy to Loki, rescue pup - adopted November 2014

Quote Originally Posted by IrishHarps
    I had a pretty long debate about this over on the NFSA board with someone else about this. Here is the link to the thread:
    http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic....t=honey#p68870

She is actually qualified and thinks it's ok, I am not qualified but I feel better safe than sorry, so I don't feed it
    I'm with you on that one. I just read your link and it is the same in the horse world and probably with all that post via the internet these days. People should be very specific when they give out advice and stipulate it is personal opinion, empirical data, scientific data, etc. Since many don't it is always in your own best interest to ASK the givers of advice what they are basing it on.

Not sure where a baby squirrel would get his/her hands on honey so for me it just doesn't make sense, no research to back it up, but as I said I could have sworn I've seen it somewhere. Maybe I'm confusing it with "don't give it to hummingbirds" LOL.