Thread: Transitioning off formula too solids

Liveandlovesquirrelly Guest

Default Transitioning off formula too solids

I have 4 baby squirrels I am rehabbing right now. One of Them is 9 weeks and the others are 11 weeks old. So far, they have been fed fox valley formula by syringe 6 cc's/mm 4 times per day, and I have recently added Cheerios and broken pieces of squirrel chow to their menus. Every time I feed them their formula they act like they are starving. I know they should be eating more solids but how can I get them to eat what's in their bowl, and how do I reduce their formula feeding when they act so hungry. Thanks for any ideas

Brooke

Default Re: Transitioning off formula too solids

They are not getting enough formula. How much do they weigh (in grams)? They need 5 - 7% of their weight at each feeding. For instance, if they weigh 200 grams they should be getting 10 - 14 cc's at each feeding plus squirrel block as well as healthy veggies. Have you taken a look at the nutrition forum? It is VERY helpful!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Default Re: Transitioning off formula too solids

I agree more formula needed mine were eating 6cc's at 5 weeks every 4 hours and eat 12-15 now at 7 weeks old. I would get a weight on them so you can adjust feedings a bit better As far as solids and weaning I hear it's best to let them wean themselves. So I would push more formula and just let them wean naturally on their own

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.