Thread: Need to Rant - And then need some advice

Default Need to Rant - And then need some advice

Ok, I need to rant a little, because my blood pressure is sky high because of 21 year old's STUPIDITY. I was given a 4-6 month old Fox Squirrel, who was bought from a bunch of 21 year old beer drinking kids, who "had been feeding this guy for weeks and 2-3 weeks ago, walked up to this guy and grabbed him by hand" (yeah right!) and put him in a 4" high x 2' wide x 2' wide homemade cage. The lady who bought him brought him to me because I talked to her last week, the day she got him, and told her about it being against the law to posses a wild. Anyway, this little guy (Squirrely), is injured. I suspect it is a soft tissue injury to his rear left leg (he holds it similar to the one that was hit by the car tire the other day) and is favoring it. After talking with Jackie, we have not ruled out the start of MBD, so I have given him a Tums, and am going to start him on Metical (for the pain). Last week, when I was talking to this girl, I did convince her to go buy rodent block, so he at least has had that for a little over a week. I am going to take him to the Refuge this weekend. Can anyone else think of anything I am missing?

How on earth can people treat animals like this? A 4 inch high cage? I have no idea what they fed him, but I am sure it wasn't anything that a squirrel would eat. The fact that he is otherwise healthy is just jaw dropping incredible! I would seek charges, but I had to agree to let it go, when she brought him to my care! ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH! I HATE people sometimes!!!! They didn't even give him anything to make a bed with!!! He is just the sweetest thing, and loves to wrestle, even with his leg hurting. I hope the fleas of a Billion Wild Dogs infest these jerks for the rest of their lives!!! It isn't even worth thinking about educating these guys, as the party seems to be the only thing they care about!!!:rock1

Default Re: Need to Rant - And then need some advice

Oh, that's TERRIBLE!!! I'm so sorry for the little guy, poor sweet baby!! Oh, that makes me so sad. No, I don't understand when I hear these stories, either, and I don't care if they were only 21 yrs old, there's no excuse. I'm glad you can come here for expert advise, I'm not an expert, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry for this poor little one. Look at it like this, though, at least he now has you to help him, and thank goodness for that.

First thing that comes to mind, is he hydrated?

...and thank you for saving him!

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    First thing that comes to mind, is he hydrated?

...and thank you for saving him!
    Fully hydrated. Thank you for mentioning it. No obvious signs of injury though, other then favoring the leg. In all other respects, he appears to be a healthy (incredibly lucky!) normal juvenile squirrel.

At least they didn't manage to torture him to death! It is amazing what some of these little guys can live through. Young people can be so thoughtless, think they could have looked on the internet for advice, sure are plenty of sites available. So glad he ended up with you.
    Best thing is to get him on a good diet so his body can heal itself, such remarkable animals. A tums a day for him to nibble on when he wants and pain meds if needed are about all you can do. Fortunately there are about all you will need to do also. for taking and helping this little guy!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

squirel Guest

Poor little squirrel , sometimes people do incredibly stupid and careless things .... and often cruel things ....
    This story is so sad but now you have him in your care and hopefully he will make it back to the trees and to a happy life . Thank you so much for that .
    All good wishes to booth of you

Thank heavens he has you! I am flabbergasted by the stupidity of young people. You know, I don't know about anyone else, but I partied harder than any of these lightweight kids today could ever think of partying and I still knew how not to harm a tiny creature. Seriously, no matter how screwed up I was I NEVER would have done anything to harm an innocent. This does not bode well for those of us who will age and need the care of younger people. We are SCREWED!!!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

I don't think age has anything to do with this... I'm 21 and more responsible than some people I know who are twice my age. I've also taken in animals who were in similar situations with people in their 40's. Just 3 months ago I rescued a puppy who was barely a month old and was being left outside in the pooring rain by itself since the day it was born because the lady couldn't find a home and didn't want to get fleas. I also took in a 3 week old paralyzed squirrel that had been sitting in a laundry basket for 2 days (without being fed) from a lady in her 30's. Being young people has nothing to do with it, it's called being an asshole.

I am glad that you have the squirrel now though and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mochi&Mocha View Post
    I don't think age has anything to do with this... I'm 21 and more responsible than some people I know who are twice my age. I've also taken in animals who were in similar situations with people in their 40's. Just 3 months ago I rescued a puppy who was barely a month old and was being left outside in the pooring rain by itself since the day it was born because the lady couldn't find a home and didn't want to get fleas. I also took in a 3 week old paralyzed squirrel that had been sitting in a laundry basket for 2 days (without being fed) from a lady in her 30's. Being young people has nothing to do with it, it's called being an asshole.

I'm sorry about directing this towards youth, but I was just so mad and the words came without much thought. You are right. It is about heart and not age. I too have known many older people who have done wrong by the squirrels too. I like what you called it. I think that is fitting!

M&M, I am sorry that what I said was offensive to you. I should know that generalizing is not a good thing. The person who I took the last baby who died was over 30 too. However, there is a terrible trend by young people to not seem to value life quite as much as I was raised to. You are a wonderful young person and so is my 30 year old son. There are so many of all ages who do the wrong thing. I will try not to make such broad generalities again. Mochi&Mocha
    Quote Originally Posted by Mochi&Mocha View Post

Well, there is no telling what Squirrely's diet consisted of before coming here. This morning, I was eating toast, and had Squirrely running loose in the Squirrel room, when he came flying in from no where and grabbed a chunk of my toast. Normally it wouldn't have been a problem, but instead of eating the bread like I expected, he devoured the butter and dropped the bread (he has had squirrel block in his cage since he arrived, and has eaten it pretty well). None of my other squirrels will even go near butter and will eat bread around any stray bits of butter they find. Any ideas as to why he is so ravenous for butter? I don't think it is good for him, and will ensure I don't allow any near him in the future, but it was just weird that he went after it the way he did.

He may just like the taste or maybe it is salt that he is accustomed to having? People often give little guys a salt lick or salty snacks. It might have just tasted good to him though.

Oh my goodness! That is so horrible! Their age is not an excuse! The cage size blows nt mind! I wouldn't keep a baby flyer in that...and they crammed a juvenile fox squirrel into it!? At least you rescued this poor fella! Thank you!

Duckman thank you for talking the purchaser into giving you this "lucky" Lil guy the refuge you're taking him to will they know how to continue with the MBD treatment or be open to learning just asking cuz believe it or not I just learned one rehabilitation center feeds cat food to squirrels (dry cat food)

Mochi&Mocha no offense ...cuz you rock but a huge majority of young people have no empathy these days they just seem desensitized and I work with 5 th graders and it doesn't appear to be approving ...we will always have our stand outs, like you, and most of our kids here...because you've been raised to be loving, caring, and responsible ...but that's a trend that isn't being followed by most anymore...but you're right there are inhuman beings at every age

SammysMom you echo my thoughts..."God help us when we get old!"

(Everyone I work with echoes the same opinion...we just hope those "stand outs" have control someday)
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    the refuge you're taking him to will they know how to continue with the MBD treatment or be open to learning just asking cuz believe it or not I just learned one rehabilitation center feeds cat food to squirrels (dry cat food)
    Jackie is actually a regular here and was the one who sent me this way, once I met her. She was the one who suggested he might have the onset of the disease, when I talked to her, after getting him away from the people. If I were to have faith in anyone knowing how to get this guy back on his 4 feet (outside of the people here), it would be her. That's why I'm not trying to take care of him myself.