Thread: Flying Squirrels vs Grey Squirrels

Default Flying Squirrels vs Grey Squirrels

I'm sure many of you saw my posts about our pet grey squirrel who just passed away... My question is have any of you ever owned a grey squirrel and a flying squirrel. Can flying squirrels be just as loveable and bond with their owners and want to be with there owners all the time?

Default Re: Flying Squirrels vs Grey Squirrels

Just my opinion but flying squirrels are much more social and if properly bonded they want to be with their owners constantly. My boys would live on me 24/7 if they could. I have never had a "pet" gray, all of mine have been raised with release as being the ultimate goal once they are mature enough.

Flyer's caging and diet requirements are different from grays so do your research if you are considering getting one as a pet. There is lots of great info in the Flyer Forum under Breed Specific .
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

IMO, flying sqs, {southern have been my only experience} make fantastic pets, much better odds at getting a great friendly buddy, more so than greys as far as taking the risk by adopting a baby..NRs are choice imo.
    Flyers being nocturnal usually fit lifestyles better as well.
    Many greys have proved to be great but many have also proved to become wild as well.
    Non releasables usually know they are and do bond better than a healthy sq...imo.
    Sorry to hear your pet sq has passed.

Our grey was supposed to be rehabbed and released but I think it was also really hard because he was a single which I seem to keep reading. He chose to be our pet. Where did you guys get your flying squirrels from, I only seem them in an exotic petstores and they are 8 weeks old there... How old do you usually get them. I will do much research before hand just starting to think about it

My first one was an injured, adult male that I found on Craigslist. My two new babies were given to me by Uni and were rescues that were brought in to her after being orphaned when their tree was cut down.

Stick around and do your research. Like most of my pets, they find me and not the other way around. Just like grays though it's hard to get someone to pet sit as they don't take too well to new people. I am fortunate that when I travel my boys are able to come with me.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.