Thread: Central FL rehabber???

Default Central FL rehabber???

UGH, I am torn about this, but want what is best for my boy, so..... here it goes.

I have been working with my boy "Rocky" for a few weeks now and he is doing GREAT. His personality is awesome - he is precocious, sweet, full of energy, and just a ball of fun. He still wants to nurse a time or two a day. He loves Henry's growth blocks and veggies. (still kind of a shred some/eat some stage with the blocks, but... eats quite a bit) He should be about......10 weeks now.. give a take a week... LOL

My concern is that I REALLY think he needs a buddy. Although we play with him a ton, he is so active and so social that I think he is also lonely for another squirrel to play with and be with. I do not have the ability right now to let him "run free" our room because there is too much he could get into or that could hurt him. I do have an outdoor cage for him that is VERY large, but I don't think he is necessarily ready to be in that full time... nor alone!

Ideas? Anyone with a squirrel that needs a buddy? I love my boy SO much , but sincerely want to make sure I am doing right by him!

nsquirrel Guest

Default Re: Central FL rehabber???

People have successfully released single squirrels though it is better to release together.

First of all thank you for putting your Rocky's needs before yours!
    It is a very important process for him to socialize with other squirrels.

There are many of us in the Central FL area rehabbing right now,
    so you will probably get a few offers in the next day or so.

I myself have babies of all ages and sizes and in different stages of release.
    I do have a lot more babies to release this year than I have before,
    so I am concerned about overpopulation.
    I certainly don't NEED another squirrel but always have room to squish one more in.

If you get another good offer then please pursue it, but if not let me know,
    and I will gladly help!

Welcome to TSB!!!
    "I always thought someone should do something about that, then I realized I was someone” ~ Lily Tomlin

"The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by djarenspace9
    but always have room to squish one more in.
    Thank you! Hubby is just concerned about not being able to give him enough "room" for the activity he needs too. He said I can rehab as many babies as I want, but once they get older they need more room than what we have.....

I will keep you posted for sure!

BR549 Guest

There are a couple of licensed rehabbers just a little bit east of you.....Back To Nature Wildlife Refuge, in Bithlo, and Wildlife Rehab Center of Central Florida, in Christmas. I hear that both places are very nice.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Hi and welcome..
    just a head's up...the sooner he is with his release mates the better,
    there is the possibility of cage mate rejection.

I have a singleton about his age that needs a cagemate if you're willing to part with him. I soft release on my ten acre farm and provide support for my SQs once released until they no longer want it! I will be in Orlando Friday afternoon if you 'd like to meet up and exchange him! I have multiple cages if they decide they don't want to be buds and can simply release them both as singles (I've released several with no problems!). PM me if you'd like to chat about the possibility!