Thread: new to the squirrel world!

Default new to the squirrel world!

Hey everyone! I am a new mommy to 3 baby squirrels, I have had them for about a week and a half and they are about 6 weeks old now. I have 2 little girls and a boy (Thelma, Louise, and Leo). I have always been a squirrel lover, I love to watch the family that lives out in my big oak tree! I am a Licensed Veterinary Technician and have raised many orphaned puppies and kittens but this is my first with a baby squirrels and this board has helped so much! I just started offering them avocados and they will put them in their mouths but they aren't really eating them. I am kind of clueless at this point they take their formula and love it but what should I start offering them as far as solid food goes and when?

Default Re: new to the squirrel world!

What formula are you using?

At 6 weeks, you should only offer some kind of rodent block. Henry's Healthy Blocks, Harlan Teklad, Kaytee Mouse and Rat (blue bag). They can nibble and such and should get used to these as their "staple" before offering anything else.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

I would wait a couple more weeks for anything solid..as in veggies etc..
    alhough I DO suggest a rodent block NOW as a chewing teething learning food...

I have been using esbilac with heavy whipping cream added. I will go get the rodent blocks today. Also I have been reading a lot about MBD and it has me a little freaked out, should I be giving them a calcium supplement?

Not an expert, but I have learned that espilac
    is not the ideal formula and can cause digestive issues. Maybe gradually switch to TSB "temporary goat milk formula"

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=29904

And order Fox Valley that is made just for squirrels.

You can order @ Foxvalleynutrition.com or @ "Chris's Squirrels and More" website.

MBD shouldn't be an issue while on formula, but their solid diet later should be strict to prevent it.

From one South Carolinian to another, Welcome!

You've found the BEST site for squirrel information!
    "Pip" (Released) The little squirrel that stole my heart

Quote Originally Posted by msriri
    Not an expert, but I have learned that espilac
    is not the ideal formula and can cause digestive issues. Maybe gradually switch to TSB "temporary goat milk formula"
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=29904
    And order Fox Valley that is made just for squirrels.
    You can order @ Foxvalleynutrition.com or @ "Chris's Squirrels and More" website.
    MBD shouldn't be an issue while on formula, but their solid diet later should be strict to prevent it.
    @ msriri:

to TSB

Our forums are full of information for the health and well being of squirrels. Proper nutrition is key for their growth and continued survival. Esbilac has produced failure to thrive babies with some cases resulting in death.

TEMPORARY Goat's Milk Formula***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ***While waiting for the Fox Valley to arrive...

Temporary Formula for Infant Squirrels – The Goat’s Milk Formula

Because of recent manufacturing issues, Esbilac and other puppy formulas are no longer being recommended for squirrels or other wildlife. The formula that TSB recommends, Fox Valley Day One, is currently available online at www.foxvalleynutrition.com and www.henryspets.com. But those require shipping and this baby squirrel needs food NOW.

One of our senior members who posts as Jackie in Tampa uses an excellent temporary substitute, and it can be assembled from locally purchased ingredients:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels may do better digestively if, instead of being given Fox Valley formula straight, mix the Fox Valley 50/50 with the Goat’s Milk Formula assembled WITHOUT the heavy whipping cream.

*It is recommended that when just starting to feed a new baby that the first feedings be made without the heavy whipping cream. This will give their digestive systems a chance to acclimate from mama’s milk to our substitute without the harder-to-digest whipping cream. Once they accept the formula and are eliminating properly, the whipping cream can be gradually added in.

When your Fox Valley formula arrives, please transition your babies to the new formula slowly, by blending the Goat’s Milk Formula with the blended and liquefied Fox Valley formula, increasing the ratio of Fox Valley with each feeding until you are no longer using the goat’s milk.

Oh thanks sooo much guys! I will order the fox valley formula right now and start with the goats milk at their next feeding! Is it ok to switch them straight to the goats milk?

No! May cause diarrhea. It's best to transition them by 1-3, half & half , 3-1, then to full.

You will also want to do this with the FV when it arrives.

Remember, regular goats milk. Not the concentrate.
    If concentrate is all that's available, you must properly dilute it before making the formula.

You guys are so awesome! My little ones are slowly being transitioned over to the goats milk and they love their rodent blocks, now if I could make them realize there are 5 blocks in the cage and they don't all have to fight over the same one!