Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: human breast milk?

Newbie Guest

Default human breast milk?

We have a 4-5 week old gray squirrel that was found in really bad shape with fly eggs all over him and was weak, cold BUT still breathing! I am currently nursing my 8 month old son, so my first instinct was to get him warm, cleaned off with a tooth brush and get some milk into him! Forgive me, we didn't have time to browse the internet and learn that we should have rehydrated him first. Anyway, he's been getting my breastmilk ever since Wednesday and is seemingly making a great recovery Are there any specific arguments against using freshly expressed human breast milk? I figured if it was going to be from a different species, it might as well be fresh and warm...

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: human breast milk?

No. Human breastmilk will NOT work. Good thought though. The best thing you can do right now is make Goats Milk Formula.

Make sure the baby is warm and hydrated before feeding.

Here are the recipes for hydrating fluid and goats milk formula

Goats Milk Formula

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

For the first few feedings do not add whipping cream

Hydration Fluid

1 quart warm water
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon salt

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

it was a great idea but unfortunately the fat/protein ratios etc are wrong for squirrels.... .... still for a brilliant idea

(kitten milk is wrong too .... so is cows milk .... puppy milk is ok ... but fox valley makes the best formula for squirrels ((they make one for almost every kind of mammal ... skunk/deer/moose lol... ).

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

Hello Newbie and welcome to the squirrel board
    How is this baby doing? You say he is in bad shape please explain what you think is wrong with him. Babies need special food to sustain good health.
    Did you pick up what you need for the goats milk formular? This formular will help you get by but Fov Valley is the best formular out there.
    Please dont hesitate to ask for help there are good squamies in Mass that can help
    Dont let anyone tell you it's just a squirrel. Tell them they have never taken the time to let a squirrel get into your heart!

Newbie Guest

Thank you all for your replies
    I have not picked up the supplies yet, They don't sell goat milk at my general grocery store, so that will have to wait until tomorrow :/ I tried to look up the fox valley formula, but it appears the web site is down??? Maybe it's just my computer? I'll try again later. Is it usually available in any brick and mortar stores? Like an Agway farmer's supply store maybe? Or Dave's Soda and Pet city? In the mean time, he's still getting my breast milk. I understand that this is not ideal, but over the past few days that he's been getting it he has been doing very well and has come back from the brink of death! I have no doubts that this little guy will survive!

My husband found him in the bed of his truck when he went to bring a load of things to the dump. When he was almost done, he spotted him as he picked up a bag of trash. Upon investigation, he saw that he was weakly breathing. He was limp and looked dead and had fly eggs all over him but luckily my husband decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and bring him home.

We used a toothbrush to comb out all of the fly eggs while we showered him under the kitchen faucet to get his body warm and clean. We even used some dish soap on him because he smelled like garbage juice, yuck. As soon as the bath was over, I offered him some milk from a plastic pipet and he eagerly took the milk. Then he promptly passed out! It kind of scared us! but we figured his adrenaline was just pumping and he NEEDED to shut down and sleep for a bit. We put him in a fleece lined shoe box with a heating pad on low under half of the box (per online search instructions). We fed him every 2ish hours because he wasn't able to take more that like 2ccs at a time. He has all his gray fur, a white belly, bottom teeth and eyes shut so we approximated 4 weeks. Just yesterday, he opened his eyes and has a new found sense of energy and exploration. No more going directly back to sleep after feedings. He's doing quite well as far as I can tell. He pees almost instantly upon stimulation after each feeding. Poops have been a little more confusing... how often should they poop? It had been more than 24 hours, so I assumed he was constipated and soaked him in a warm bath and rubbed his belly. this produce one tiny poop afterward upon stimulation.

I have many more questions, but I've got to go right now! I will continue to read, but any personal and specific advice on what this new eyes open stage will bring will be appreciated Also, when can he start having other food and how much how often? Oh, and when does he stop needing the heating pad? I thought I read that about 5-6 weeks they can maintain their own body temp. ??? Thank you for your guidance

You can get goats milk in the grocery store, you have to order fv online. I sent you a pm. I am concerned with no poop in 24 hours, they should go pretty much every feeding (maybe once in a while not every one, but by the next feeding, they should). Cardboard is very drying, a rubbermade or sterilite (plastic) container is better. You need to weigh him so you know how much to feed, should be 5/7% of his weight and at that age, he shoulde be getting more then 2 cc's per feeding (but also eating father apart then a couple of hours, as well). Check your pm's, I can help.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Where are you in Mass? We have members who might be able to help you with formula. You really would be better to give him Pedialyte for a few feedings as breast milk is really just not good for him. I am in CT and can send some Fox Valley if you cant order it. Once you have formula, you feed 5% - 7% of their body weight per feeding.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

I'm here to help I have two and in my book three is not a crowd.
    they can all be released together.
    Dont let anyone tell you it's just a squirrel. Tell them they have never taken the time to let a squirrel get into your heart!

Awesome offer here!!! Thank-you Rocky!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky63
    I'm here to help I have two and in my book three is not a crowd.
    they can all be released together.

heck, i did not notice you were in massachusetts. I can help you if you need help. I can even take over if you like, but dont want to steal your baby. I am near amherst mass if you need my assistance.
    Great idea with the breast milk, but squirrels are just not humans. It is strange how each species has such differant requirements, but they just do.
    If the baby was in big trouble, they your milk certainly provided fluid and nourishment, but for the long term, it will not work out. I have stuff here if you need help.

Lots of help Newbie! You are near some of the best!

I pm'd as well to see if she is close enough to me (even to help with formula and anything else). And also just got in the three today, who are about 4 weeks (give or take a day or two), so could make it a foursome if needed, as well.
    Mary...

Goat milk can be found at Trader Joes, fresh in qts, but I advise the powder that you can make from a can. It is way more cost affective. I buy it at whole foods.
    We have not heard from you, fill us in on the baby.
    Hopefully the fly eggs did not get inside this baby, but Capstar can help with that.
    Please let us know how baby is doing and let us help you if we can.

Big hug to your husband!

Good luck! You are in good (BEST) hands here!
    My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.
    So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.
    Jack Layton.

Newbie Guest

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for checking in and reaching out to help! Baby is doing well, he has been pooping every feeding now says hubby. I want to do right by this baby for sure... but I'm not gonna lie, it has been my dream since childhood to have a squirrel I no longer desire to keep and possess one, but the opportunity to raise him for a few weeks would be a real blessing! I have raised too many rats and other rodents to count, so I certainly have experience with small rodents. Clearly, squirrels have different and more specific nutritional requirements, but still, I'd like to think my years of caring for other rodents gives me at least a little credibility

Enough about me and back to Nelson, our fur baby... I was doing the decreased amount and increased frequency because I was following his lead on when he had enough, but knew that he needed to fatten up so I tried to feed more frequently to compensate. He's still far from fat, but I think he's at least a "healthy" lean build. He is very curious when awake and likes to climb about even jump a little. He chatters and squeaks now and then. He loves to curl up in a loose sweatshirt or scrub top pocket.

I read the responses to my husband and we have decided that ultimately, Nelson would be happier and healthier to be in the company of sibling squirrels and under the care of someone who has experience. I will check PMs now but my guess is that wonkawillie is the closest to us. Hopefully we can meet up tonight or tomorrow! Thanks again to everyone!

Newbie Guest

One edit. I checked my PM's and only had one. We are in Mass on interstate 91 in the northern part of the state. Anyone close by or within an hour that has others in a similar stage please PM me.

Has anyone heard from Newbie? She was going to turn over nelson to me. I've called the cell number she PM me but I have not gotten a return call.
    I'm concerned for nelson's health and would like an update.

I had been talking to her a few days ago, thought she was going to bring him here, but never heard from her again. I hope he is ok.
    Mary...

Rocky63, did you ever hear back?
    Mary...

No Pappy I havn't. I hope little Nelson is doing OK. My offer to help is still open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.