Thread: Yard Squirrels with mange, now Dogs have it!!!

Hybrid View

Unhappy Yard Squirrels with mange, now Dogs have it!!!

I have several squirrels in my yard that I feed that have mange, most of them, new mothers. I have been treating them with Ivermectin. I have 3 yellow labs and one has just been diagnosed with sarcoptic mange. He's just a mess. they gave him a shot of Ivermectin, prednisone and have him on antibiotics and as soon as it arrives in the mail, revolution. They will ALL be treated for the next 3 months, along with my inside squirrel, Chumpy Mumps. Does anyone know if you can give the horse Ivermectin to the dogs??? They are all around 100 lbs, and 2 of them are diabetic. I just feel so horrible that this happened!! The one in the worst shape is my Dad's dog, who is my dog's brother and son. I was "taking care" of him while my Dad was on vacation back in April, which was when this started. I've had him to the vet twice, and then we just went again today. It has cost him about $600.00 so far. Just a heads up for all of you animal lovers, that it can infect other species!!!

Default Re: Yard Squirrels with mange, now Dogs have it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babybleu
    I have several squirrels in my yard that I feed that have mange, most of them, new mothers. I have been treating them with Ivermectin. I have 3 yellow labs and one has just been diagnosed with sarcoptic mange. He's just a mess. they gave him a shot of Ivermectin, prednisone and have him on antibiotics and as soon as it arrives in the mail, revolution. They will ALL be treated for the next 3 months, along with my inside squirrel, Chumpy Mumps. Does anyone know if you can give the horse Ivermectin to the dogs??? They are all around 100 lbs, and 2 of them are diabetic. I just feel so horrible that this happened!! The one in the worst shape is my Dad's dog, who is my dog's brother and son. I was "taking care" of him while my Dad was on vacation back in April, which was when this started. I've had him to the vet twice, and then we just went again today. It has cost him about $600.00 so far. Just a heads up for all of you animal lovers, that it can infect other species!!!
    ll I know is Ivermectin for horses is very potent. Be very careful and make sure it IS OK to give to the dog before you even try.

Don't know what to advise otherwise. Good luck with the poor pooches.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

I've done some research and it says that the wrong amount for dogs can cause blindness, coma or death. I think I'll wait for the revolution... should be here tomorrow. Chumpy has been treated tho!!!

babybleu— Where your labs diagnosed by a vet with a skin scraping for sarcoptic mange?

You do not need to use ivermectin for localized mange. IMO, it is an unneccesary use of pesticides on dogs and the mange would probably go away even if you did nothing.

You can start by trying a home cooked or raw food diet, start them on immune building supplements (ie, Vitamin C 2000mg, Vitamin E 400IU, Salmon Oil, and Probiotics) and apply Neem oil or Neem Shampoo (ie, TheraNeem Pet Shampoo—Link) and it should go away quickly.

I have heard that Defendex is good for sarcoptic mange mites also known as scabies VETiONX® Defendex? - Fleas, Ticks, Mange and Scabies Treatment Shampoo—Link

Some dogs have the mutant MDR1 gene and cannot use Ivermectin, if unsure, please check with your vet.
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy Tale
    babybleu— Where your labs diagnosed by a vet with a skin scraping for sarcoptic mange?

You do not need to use ivermectin for localized mange. IMO, it is an unneccesary use of pesticides on dogs and the mange would probably go away even if you did nothing.

You can start by trying a home cooked or raw food diet, start them on immune building supplements (ie, Vitamin C 2000mg, Vitamin E 400IU, Salmon Oil, and Probiotics) and apply Neem oil or Neem Shampoo (ie, TheraNeem Pet Shampoo—Link) and it should go away quickly.

I have heard that Defendex is good for sarcoptic mange mites also known as scabies VETiONX® Defendex? - Fleas, Ticks, Mange and Scabies Treatment Shampoo—Link

Some dogs have the mutant MDR1 gene and cannot use Ivermectin, if unsure, please check with your vet.
    Great advice Pointy !All the collie breeds have the mutant gene, cannot take ivermectin, I know there are other breeds as well.It works well for squirrels and horses, I don't care for it for dogs.
    Kat, owned by Andi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMNuKWPnTQ

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
    -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Yes, my Dad's dog was diagnosed on Tuesday and they did 5 scrapings. They did locate one of the mites and it was really ugly looking!! I don't think that this will go away on its own, as my Dad's dog has been dealing with it since April and my 2 boys now have the same itching problem that he began with.