Thread: 7 1/2 week babies - possible chunky baby?

Default 7 1/2 week babies - possible chunky baby?

I have 2 - 7 1/2 week babies (fox squirrels). 1 is a boy (159g) and 1 is a girl (176g). I've been raising since roughly day 1 or 2. they have been on FV 32/40 for roughly the last 7 weeks. my husband built a nice size 3 story cage of which they are starting to get pretty good at climbing at a nice rate. i started putting rodent blocks in their cage about 1 week and half ago and for the last week finally got henry's and they finally started eating those. In the cage I've put a larger branch to get from 1 level to the next. ok...the girl seems chunky to me. They love their formula. they poop fine, although today the girl had a bunch of light brown poop followed by a little blacker poop. all good consistancy, but the color changed. so is this normal if they start eating blocks and broccoli and carrots? what is the suggestion for their diet at this age. i'm seeing poop in the cage, so with 2 of them do I dare stop stimulating them to poop after they eat? they would rather just eat formula but i wonder if this is why she seems chunkier. in advance for any help. I've spent hours researching how to get them this far and would hate for anything to go wrong now.

Default Re: 7 1/2 week babies - possible chunky baby?

Hi..The cage sounds wonderful but may be a bit big for such little guys. can you block some of it off until they are older? They could fall and hurt them selves, Mamma squirrel doesn't let them out until they are at least 10 weeks and even then they don't go very far until 12 weeks to 14 weeks.
    Block is good and the formula, you really dont need anything else yet until they know and eat the block. Then you can go to the green leafy stuff.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

i do have the bottom level blocked off right now and only 1 hole open right now from 2nd to 3rd and the stick is larger through the hole diagonally so not alot of room, however the girl can fly up the stick through the one hole. I kind of made the top level where they eat and middle level where they sleep with alot of fleece.

Quote Originally Posted by SD Soccermom
    i do have the bottom level blocked off right now and only 1 hole open right now from 2nd to 3rd and the stick is larger through the hole diagonally so not alot of room, however the girl can fly up the stick through the one hole. I kind of made the top level where they eat and middle level where they sleep with alot of fleece.
    sounds like where I want to live

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

I wouldn't worry about the little girl's chunkiness... they all grow at their own rates. One of my little girls is a BEAST! She was around 220 grams at 7 weeks... lol!
    Squirrelmum to Mr. Fred, Mr. Barney, Wilma & Betty, Shorty & Chiquita...
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=33781

oh thank you for telling me that! i'm giving her a complex calling her "porky". She's practically flying all over the cage and she's quite limber and does twice the mileage of the boy.

Oh yeah, I call Betty every endearing fatty name in the book She's my little chubber wubbers... rofl.
    Squirrelmum to Mr. Fred, Mr. Barney, Wilma & Betty, Shorty & Chiquita...
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=33781