Thread: My NEW Squirrely friend!

Default My NEW Squirrely friend!

So today while I was sitting at the park on my lunch break...this ever so sweet lil girl came right up to my car and looked at me like "pweeeez feeeed meeee!" all I had was some chicken nuggets and Apple dippers...so I gave her 2 apple slices...but she still seemed to be so hungry, so (please dont shoot me...look at her wittle face and tell me you could deny her food!) I peeled the skin from 1/2 a nugget and gave it to her...again as she came closer to my car (this is when I realized she was a girl) her nipples where very pronounced and fur wet around them...she must have babies near by! The big tree on the other side of the road has a hollow in one big branch...so im thinking they might be in there.

After sometime of trying to get her to go back to the tree...cause for whatever reason she liked to sit in the middle of the road and eat, even though I would put the food right by my car door...she would run grab it and then run into the middle of hte road...ANYWAY...a big black crow or raven would perch itself on top of the branch, where the hollow is and right away the momma squirrel would run up the tree to scare away the bird...(another reason im assuming they are in there!) Im thinking shes afraid to stray to far cause of this dang bird, so shes not eating much...

Anyway what should I do...I cant just let her starve...its not good for her or the babies...I was thinking about taking her a little food each day on my lunch break and leaving it under the tree...??? I dont know...she just tore open my heart with her sweet little face! Or should I just leave her be...Im sure shes gonna be looking for food again tomorrow....She doesnt look terribly starved I guess...but she is thin, probably from the babies...but her back is boney, and she is very small...1/2 the size of the boys!
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Default Re: My NEW Squirrely friend!

Oh AND I have decided to call her "nugget" just a nick name of coarse...LOL!

She is cute.! If you go back to see her again bring her a couple of HHB or some boo balls. mjs
    Dont let anyone tell you it's just a squirrel. Tell them they have never taken the time to let a squirrel get into your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky63
    She is cute.! If you go back to see her again bring her a couple of HHB or some boo balls. mjs
    thats a good idea! I just hope nothing happens to her or her babies with that stupid bird!!!!

One of my very first babies was a crow caught little grey. He ended up with half of his tail missing...but other than that he was fine. Thanks to the finder running out and scaring the crow away or his fate would have been much worse.
    I would give him some nuts in a shell too so she can bury them. I just hope she doesn't decide to eat them in the middle of the road...

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    One of my very first babies was a crow caught little grey. He ended up with half of his tail missing...but other than that he was fine. Thanks to the finder running out and scaring the crow away or his fate would have been much worse.
    I would give him some nuts in a shell too so she can bury them. I just hope she doesn't decide to eat them in the middle of the road...

Lets hope so!

free Guest

Not sure, but from what I was told by a wildlife rehabber, the squirrels will not starve, that there is plenty for them to eat this time of year out there in the wild. Of course, I am like you, I would have done the same thing and fed her too They are just so adorable. She looks really small. Where I live we have a mama who has babies and she is pretty big. We use to feed our wilds, but just stopped recently due to neighbor issues. I see them forage for stuff and they seem to be finding things to eat. If you feed your little friend, maybe give her some nuts Like either walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts or pecans. They love these....

Quote Originally Posted by cuteascnb
    So today while I was sitting at the park on my lunch break...this ever so sweet lil girl came right up to my car and looked at me like "pweeeez feeeed meeee!" all I had was some chicken nuggets and Apple dippers...so I gave her 2 apple slices...but she still seemed to be so hungry, so (please dont shoot me...look at her wittle face and tell me you could deny her food!) I peeled the skin from 1/2 a nugget and gave it to her...again as she came closer to my car (this is when I realized she was a girl) her nipples where very pronounced and fur wet around them...she must have babies near by! The big tree on the other side of the road has a hollow in one big branch...so im thinking they might be in there.

After sometime of trying to get her to go back to the tree...cause for whatever reason she liked to sit in the middle of the road and eat, even though I would put the food right by my car door...she would run grab it and then run into the middle of hte road...ANYWAY...a big black crow or raven would perch itself on top of the branch, where the hollow is and right away the momma squirrel would run up the tree to scare away the bird...(another reason im assuming they are in there!) Im thinking shes afraid to stray to far cause of this dang bird, so shes not eating much...

Anyway what should I do...I cant just let her starve...its not good for her or the babies...I was thinking about taking her a little food each day on my lunch break and leaving it under the tree...??? I dont know...she just tore open my heart with her sweet little face! Or should I just leave her be...Im sure shes gonna be looking for food again tomorrow....She doesnt look terribly starved I guess...but she is thin, probably from the babies...but her back is boney, and she is very small...1/2 the size of the boys!

oh how sweet, i would take her a smorgas board of veges nuts and whatever i know they can have. Then she can stay close to her tree.

She does look skinny. I would go grocery shopping and give her a boat load of nuts and HHB's

she is a tad bit thin...but remeber Im in FLORIDA and all the squirrels are a tad on the small side! LOL! I have checked back twice and havnt seen her around.... I hope shes ok!

quagmire Guest

Go ahead and feed her, like I do my wilds. I have a momma that comes right up to the door (never been coaxed to do that, just started about 2 weeks ago). Her babies are old enough to run around the yard and a couple have moved off already. I throw out pieces of HHB, veggies and nuts.

This is the same momma that has every litter in our front archway, inside the wall. I guess after 4 years of seeing us, she knows we won't hurt her or her babies. When she is w/newborns, we some times put a HHB on the wall so she gets something 'good' for her and doesn't have to leave the babies long.

BTW, great pictures.

Kristal Guest

Awww, that reminds me of my wild friend that I have here. I don't know if it is right to make them expect the food that you put out, but I can tell you that my friend showed up starving and mangey and looking for a new territory in the month of November. Well, now she is even a bit fat and appears to have a big, well fed family - looking at the state of her nipples. So I would feed her, but that is me, and I live in the inhospitable-to-wildlife city center. Maybe she is one of those females that becomes fertile at six months instead of a year or older and that is why she is so small?