Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: need help with newborn red squirrel quick!!

babyred Guest

Default Re: need help with newborn red squirrel quick!!

we cannot get the goats milk until tomorrow, he has only been a pedilyte for like 4 hours, plus he is eating way better than when we first rescued him, and he is peeing and pooping perfectly. I dont think he is any serious danger i am just looking out for him for the future weeks to come

Well the problem is these little tiny guys just crash really quickly once they are in trouble and he is in trouble. We know you are trying so we certainly are all hoping for the best, but can see from the picture that he is really not doing quite as well as it might seem.
    Of course we sure do see that you are really trying and we thank you for that.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom
    I think due to the problems with diarrhea and Esbilac, it is better to use watered down Ensure for the moment.
    I completely agree....
    I would go with Ensure over Esbilac...as long as its short term.
    My boys had to have ensure for about a 24 hr period at first....waiting for the FV. Poohs were runny....but not foamy and no bloat like Esbilac.
    The most important thing right now is REALLY try and get your hands on the goats milk....
    baby red
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Sounds like you are getting some great advice. I am not sure that baby is even two weeks old I am sure someone else will chime in on age. Good luck with everything it is a great thing to save a baby squirrel if you listen to the folks here you will have the love of your life in a few weeks there is nothing in the world like a baby squirrel when it comes to stealing hearts. It is worth whatever sacrafice you have to make drive for an hour to a store make a trip to the rehabber whatever it takes you will never never regret going to crazy extremes to save this baby. They do crash fast at that age fine one minute and gone in an hour. These folks love squirrels and love you for trying so please do whatever is in your power to do what they ask. Good luck and thanks for being a hero
    Pixel Jones "Released" Best squirrel I ever had.

babyred Guest

can you guys post one of your newborn pics of your squirrels so i know what one should look like and is goats milk better than esbilec?

Quote Originally Posted by babyred
    can you guys post one of your newborn pics of your squirrels so i know what one should look like and is goats milk better than esbilec?
    yes, goat's milk is much better than esbilac, not even comparable.
    Esbilac is now garbage, pretty much.

I'd say she is probably about 10-14 days.
    The cord is gone....usually happens in Reds at about 6-8 days....Reds are just SUPER tiny....you should be seeing some darkening of her skin very soon...( look for a little black stripe down her side...its come is fast.)

The main thing for right this second is food and heat. Go get the Ensure if thats what you can get for now.....and she ABSOLUTELY needs a heating pad. A heat lamp will NOT give her the heat she needs.... and will dehydrate her very quickly.... If you do not have a heating pad....make a couple of sock buddies. ( white rice in an old sock warmed up in micro). Make a nest out of the sock buddies with one open side so she can get away if it gets too warm.

I know its a lot....but trust us....we know squirrels.
    Just last year I raised 5 teeny reds...( 9 days old)....all are happy healthy and mean as ........
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

That is a new born squirrel....that is in desperate need of help...DO YOU WANT US TO TRY TO FIND SOMEBODY THAT YOU CAN BRING HIM TOO???? OR THAT MAY COME TO YOU AND TAKE HIM FOR YOU????

Tell us what you want, because I bet if he could talk, I know what he would say....He wants to live.

Why are you worrying about food when he needs hydration. You have been hydrating him for the past three days, and he looks like this, he needs subq fluids.

Maybe there is just too much info here, but to put it all together tonight you need:

1) A heating pad with no automatic shut-off to put UNDER HALF of the container he is in
    2) Goats milk formula ingredients
    3) Ensure for tonight to be diluted with plain water until you get goats milk

It is overwhelming for all of us when we are new! We get it!

Sure....heres a couple the same age as yours.....
    about a weeks growth between pics....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Émile Zola

Can you just give a city that you are in, so we can look for help for your little one?
    Madtowntom is in Southern Wisconsin.

Please let us know how everything goes tonight. Did you get the Ensure and the heating pad?

This should help:
    Thank you Kathie.

http://www.tn.waterford.wi.gov/docvi...7887&locid=186

Also if goatsmilk can't be found, esbilac made with vey hot water (not boiling) 6 hrs in advance will work...canned and premade is better.
    Just born will work too.
    Order the Fox Valley now though this is just temporary.

babyred, you've gotten the best advice possible above: NO MORE PEDIALYTE. It is only supposed to be given for ONE DAY. This baby needs formula, so make the goat's milk temporary formula or get Ensure into him as SOON AS POSSIBLE for him. He has had no nourishment in three days and is starving.....HURRY.

Now, the next thing to do is figure out how to get this baby to someone who has raised red squirrels before, knows what they need, and can get him to the point where he can be released to the trees. You have a done a wonderful thing by saving him!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

How's the baby this morning?

babyred Guest

the baby squirrel is very active this morning and we got a heating pad and put it on low for now and were using esbilec right now till we go to wallmart for goats milk can you tell me how much like teaspoons or cups of water i should add to my esbilec i feed him in two hours

the baby squirrel is very active this morning and we got a heating pad and put it on low for now and were using esbilec right now till we go to wallmart for goats milk can you tell me how much like teaspoons or cups of water i should add to my esbilec i feed him in two hours
    I dilute it for now as 3 parts water and 1 part esbilac powder.

If you bought the canned liquid esbilac that is already mixed, I would use 2 parts of the liquid and 1 part water.

And get the stuff for the goats milk as soon as you possibly can.

babyred Guest

got the goats milk and the baby red squirrel is doing remarkably well and more ative eats more and looks healthy if he gets dehydrated (which i heard happens a lot) what should i use pedialyte and for how long or watered down goats milk?

babyred Guest

so if you guys could give me a step by step for rehydration that would help if it ended up being dehydrated

so if you guys could give me a step by step for rehydration that would help if it ended up being dehydrated
    If you are keeping him on a good schedule.....say every 3 hrs....he shouldn't get dehydrated.
    I did give my reds a syringe of pedialite/H2O (50-50) every now and then when I noticed some dry skin....and emu oil rubs......

Émile Zola

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.