Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: need help with newborn red squirrel quick!!

babyred Guest

Default need help with newborn red squirrel quick!!

three days ago i found a mabey a 2 week old baby red squirrel and now it is very dehydrated i bought pedialyte and 1cc siringes and trying to feed it every two hours my question is am i feeding just the pedialyte or do i delute it with water need help asap thanks

Default Re: need help with newborn red squirrel quick!!

What are you giving it besides Pedialyte?
    Can you give us a bit more information on the baby? There are so many people here who will have loads of info to help you! Welcome and thank-you for helping this baby! Where and how did you find this little one? Was there a cat or other predator involved? Is the baby's container on heat?
    Enough questions for you? lol
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

babyred Guest

well until i found out about how bad cows milk is i was feeding it water with a little salt and sugar

So it hasn't had any real nutrition for at least three days? Can you get goat's milk? I will post the temporary goat's milk formula for you in just a minute. Is the baby nice and warm on a heating pad with no auto shutoff?

Temporary Formula for Infant Squirrels – The Goat’s Milk Formula

Because of recent manufacturing issues, Esbilac and other puppy formulas are no longer being recommended for squirrels or other wildlife. The formula that TSB recommends, Fox Valley Day One, is currently available online at www.foxvalleynutrition.com and www.henryspets.com. But those require shipping and this baby squirrel needs food NOW.

One of our senior members who posts as Jackie in Tampa uses an excellent temporary substitute, and it can be assembled from locally purchased ingredients:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels may do better digestively if, instead of being given Fox Valley formula straight, mix the Fox Valley 50/50 with the Goat’s Milk Formula assembled WITHOUT the heavy whipping cream.

*It is recommended that when just starting to feed a new baby that the first feedings be made without the heavy whipping cream. This will give their digestive systems a chance to acclimate from mama’s milk to our substitute without the harder-to-digest whipping cream. Once they accept the formula and are eliminating properly, the whipping cream can be gradually added in.

When your Fox Valley formula arrives, please transition your babies to the new formula slowly, by blending the Goat’s Milk Formula with the blended and liquefied Fox Valley formula, increasing the ratio of Fox Valley with each feeding until you are no longer using the goat’s milk.

babyred Guest

well what i thought was a birds nest on the groung was a squirrels nest and there were 4 of them 3 were dead and i kept the one figuring that it wasnt going to survive and no scrtches on it or broken bones though it has whiskers and a little hair on its head but it looks to skinny i got a heat lamp elevated high enough so it wont burn it

babyred Guest

i live in a small town so i dont really know where i would get goats milk i feed it soon any sugestions? (with the pedialyte)

Well, I am going to sound bossy, but I mean nothing but to help you. The heat lap is NOT good for the baby. You really need either a heating pad under the container he is in or a sock filed with uncooked rice that you microwave for 30 seconds at a time and squish it around afterwards to be sure there are no spots that are too hot for the baby. What is the baby in for a container? Do you have fleece or flannel in with it so it can be snuggled in? (no towels as their nails get caught in the loops)
    If I can help find someone in your area to help you, would you be willing to give them the baby to raise? Not sure I will be able to, but will certainly try!

Give me just a few minutes and I will post suggestions for feeding. Goats milk can be purchased at the grocery store usually.

babyred Guest

i have it in a aquarium its in a fuzzy shirt i had and i will buy a heating pad for sure tomarrow then

Call your grocery stores including Walmart. Health food stores/natural grocers. Trader Joes. Whole Foods. Fresh, condensed, and powdered is available. Whatever you get, mix it first to package directions, and THEN use it in the recipe.

If you absolutely cannot get anything else tonight, get some Ensure - any drug store or grocery will have it. I would dilute it to begin with, heat before feeding as with anything else.

Get the goats milk ASAP. The Goat's Milk Recipe is much better - Ensure is super short time...

Hi there Glad you are asking questions.
    You dont want to use a heat lamp, you need a heating pad under the container you have the baby in, covering only half, and set it on low. Your baby needs some food!!! The goats milk formula is best for now, you can order Fox Valley on line at
    http://www.henryspets.com/
    also a good site for you is
    http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/
    there are the syringes and how to feed and such for you. Goats milk can come fresh next to the cows milk (do not feed cows milk) canned by the canned milk or powdered. you should be able to find it some where.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

Thank-you CritterMom and SSM! This baby really needs better heat tonight. Do you have uncooked rice? If we can find a rehabber, will you let them raise the baby? If so, I will search for one for you.

babyred Guest

if i am able i will send you a pic (might need help)
    of the baby right now and mabey you could see if at least looks healthy

If you want to email it to me at loseandgainhealth@sbcglobal.net and I will post it for you!

email me elgara53@cfl.rr.com I can post your picture, if you have a small sock put some uncooked rice in it and warm it in the microwave , only a few seconds and put it in with the baby, only warm to touch NOT HOT

― Anatole France

lilidukes Guest

If this baby has been fed pedialyte for more than 24 hours you will need to give a little plain water between goats milk feedings for a few hours. Excessive pedia will cause baby to swell from to much sodium. 2 week olds require feedings every 2-3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom
    If you want to email it to me at loseandgainhealth@sbcglobal.net and I will post it for you!
    you type faster than me

― Anatole France

Very important to NOT give any more pedialyte!

babyred Guest

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.