Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boo Boo's, red squirrel, question about balding right after putting pre release cage

Default Boo Boo's, red squirrel, question about balding right after putting pre release cage

Okay, I have just put Boo Boo's in his pre release cage after putting him outside in his normal cage every day so he could play in the grass (cage with no bottom) and feel the fresh air, and see the nature! Now he's balding! On his neck and some on his armpits!

I feed him:

Henry's Healthy Blocks Picky Eater and Wild 2x a day (variation between picky eater and wild)
    Cabbage
    Brocoli
    Cauliflower
    Green Peppers

All veggies given in the middle of the day.

I just noticed his balding spots after I brought him in due to heavy raining...

ALSO, I have another thread about my little rattie, who was a feeder rat when I adopted her... So if any rat people come on, please go check out this thread!

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=33882
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Turn your "cant's" into "can's" and your "dreams" into "plans" <3

Default Re: Boo Boo's, red squirrel, question about balding right after putting pre release cage

Help, help, help!

What am I doing wrong?

Please point out all my faults so that I can FIX them!

Default Re: Boo Boo's, red squirrel, question about balding right after putting pre release cage

Is he for some reason not getting enough calcium?

Tums, right? Should I be giving him any?

I've bought him plenty of those hangy-toys that are made of calcium, refuses them... Likes tums, probably because they taste like candy...

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

you don't coller him do you?
    of course not...hmmmm
    not sure what that is from?
    are his ears crusty on the tips..
    are there scratches on the bald area?
    any other bald areas?
    could this be allergy? something bit him and he scratched/itched himself bald?
    pictures not real clear either..
    not sure, hoping someone comes on that can help.
    pappytinfoil

it IS calcium right? Or am I mixing the word up with something else? -__- It's been a long frustrating day... Boo Boo's isn't wilding up...been outside for a week and just grunts at me when I visit him every day....and screeches when I walk away...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    you don't coller him do you?
    of course not...hmmmm
    not sure what that is from?
    are his ears crusty on the tips..
    are there scratches on the bald area?
    any other bald areas?
    could this be allergy? something bit him and he scratched/itched himself bald?
    pictures not real clear either..
    not sure, hoping someone comes on that can help.
    pappytinfoil
    The picture is terrible, I'm sorry...don't have a camera, am using my laptop and he doesn't stay still! He's the opposite of calm!

Just his armpits and neck..neck completely bald, armpits are sparse...

I couldn't collar the demon, hahaha! I think he'd murder me

No crusty, nothing, everything I told you are his only symptoms

I can't take another picture, he's just biting and squirming and making his grumpy noise... -___-'''

I also don't see any bug bites!

does he itch those areas?

Haven't seen him itching, and it doesn't look red or sore, just like the hair randomly fell out... Looks like perfectly soft, intact, but hairless skin

anything sprayed on the lawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    anything sprayed on the lawn?

Nope, nothing.

Is it possible he is molting? I have some wild grays around who have a lot of pink skin showing.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom
    Is it possible he is molting? I have some wild grays around who have a lot of pink skin showing.
    Molting? I hope it's only that... I mean, he's acting normal... just balding... Are squirrels usually molting during this time of the year? He was born last summer, near fall, so if it's also about age, could that be it too?

I am no expert, but this year my wilds molted very early. Some of them were so bad that i thought it was mange. I let it ride to see what was going to happen and lo and behold they grew new lovely coats in a very short time. Today I noticed that another batch of them are molting now. It seems very symetrical on most of them. Hope this helps! Maybe it is due to going outdoors for release and temp change?

I am no expert, but this year my wilds molted very early. Some of them were so bad that i thought it was mange. I let it ride to see what was going to happen and lo and behold they grew new lovely coats in a very short time. Today I noticed that another batch of them are molting now. It seems very symetrical on most of them. Hope this helps! Maybe it is due to going outdoors for release and temp change?

Oh, I really hope so... I love my Boo Boo's... can't release him here though, so many cats in the area, mine as well... My hubby's grandmother's cats are inside cats, and she feeds squirrels outside...thinking of there... or Crittermom (she wanted to steal him from me months ago, probably wouldn't mind releasing him for me)

But oh...it's going to be heart breaking to lose him... Though, I contacted a Sugar Glider breeder here in Maine, so I'm thinking of buying a pair, which will probably cost me 500 :-O

Wish I could adopt and hand feed young ones (not pinkies), for less than 500...it's the initial cost that's holding me back, not the food and toys and treats later...

Yeah, if you can't release there, then he does need to go to someone who can release him. It is est for his release cage to e where he will be actually released. He should be sort of getting the lay of the land and used to the sights and sounds of the place he will be living. Have you asked CM if she can do this for you?

Yeah, if you can't release there, then he does need to go to someone who can release him. It is est for his release cage to e where he will be actually released. He should be sort of getting the lay of the land and used to the sights and sounds of the place he will be living. Have you asked CM if she can do this for you?

I really need to get on it! I guess it's just been really hard on me, but he's not a pet... he's way too food agressive, like all squirrels... if I let him out and there's food still left in his cage, he will attack you... or me, even momma suffers... but I'm not sure if this is what he wants... I mean, it probably is...but sometimes I think he misses me, what with the grunting and all...

My red squirrel molting his tail right now. I might just be molting for yours. I would think if he is not acting any different just keep an eye on him and he should start growing fur back soon.
    Dont let anyone tell you it's just a squirrel. Tell them they have never taken the time to let a squirrel get into your heart!

I should NOT preach, but part of the release plan is to not have daily contact other than food and water. It helps them to learn that he is a squirrel. I sure understand just how difficult this is on both of you. That is why it might be easier and healthier for both of you to have someone you trust do the release. Ghostie & Boo Boo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast