Thread: I made a really bad mistake

Default I made a really bad mistake

Little Man is approx 8 months old he is still in the release cage - I have not released him yet - The end of November I released Scrappy and Huey (they are approx 8 1/2 months old) from the release cage - Scrappy has stayed - I see him several times a day - he always comes and runs up and down the release cage - I have thought for a long time that Scrappy and Little Man wanted to play with each other - I was out this afternoon setting on the patio and Scrappy and Little Man - were running with each other - no fussing or anything - So I let Scrappy in one side of the release cage - and then opened the door so they could see each other - It took about 15-20 minutes before they even noticed each other - and when they did the fight was on - I liked to have never got them seperated - both had blood all over them - Little Man ran from me everytime I got near him - I was able to get Scrappy and get him out of the cage - I checked and wiped him off - the blood that was on Scrappy was Little Man's - Little Man has cuts behind both ears and one on his back - this is all that I can see (he may have more) - I have not been able to handle him - I called my rehabber friend and she told me to leave him alone that I would only stress him out more - as long as he was bleeding very badly - he was bleeding a little but not dripping blood everywhere - everytime I approached him he would run - or he would fuss at me - after he calmed down some - I checked on him again - he did let get close - I had a wet towel and he let me gently rub his side - but he squeaked in pain and backed up when I got close to his ears - and then he wanted to drink the water from the wet towel - so I let him - he did let me pet the front of his face - I did not get close to his ears - I was able to take a syringe with some motrin and put a little on the outside of his mouth - he does not like - I thought he may eventually lick some of it off - he did take a pecan from me - but only took 2 bites and laid it down - he acts like he is pain - I am soo worried about him - I know my friend told me to leave him alone til tomorrow - but I am wanting so badly to go and check on him - I would love to bring him inside - but afraid that would stess him more - he is in his nest box right now - but we are having a bad thunderstorm with hail
    does anyone else have any other suggestions - or just leave him alone til morning - I hope he will still be the same sweet squirrel he always was - Could he possibly die sometime tonight? - I know I worry - can't help it - that is who I am - Please tell me that I did not make Little Man hate me now - I can't believe I was sooo stupid - I never would of have dreamed that would of have happened - If Little Man is ok and he still loves me - I am keeping him - I am not letting him go - he will not have a chance with him being so little - the males in the backyard could kill him
    Any other suggestions

Default Re: I made a really bad mistake

Personally, I would bring him inside. And if you are having storms, that will only add to his stress...He could be shocky too.
    Is he used to be inside or is he kept outside. I think that warmth would be comforting to him also. Some place that is dark and quiet, and just let him know that you are there. Can you get the whole squirrel box out of the cage and bring it into another cage in the house? If so that is what I would do.

I'm really not sure what I would do...

If he is in his nest box and IF you can block the way out of the box then take the nest box off and bring it inside and place it in a big cage of some sort... maybe that would allow him to stay calm through the night and tomorrow he woud probably stay hidden in his box. You could make sure he has water and food in there already when he wakes up.

I don't know... a lot of IFs... and the last thing you want to do is risk having him run out of his box and be stuck outside with no nest on a night like this Oh man! Wish I could be there to help you.

However, like Nancy I think he'd be better off inside.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

I dont know if I can get the box off - it is screwed into the ceiling - He would not let me hold him before - I would have to grab him - and he may bite me - would that be to stressful on him - he is used to being outside - that is were he stays all the time - he has not been in the house for several several months - the only cage that I have to put him in would be a pet carrier - He has stopped bleeding and I know he is very very sore - I just can't believe that happened - Do you still think I need to bring him inside or just leave him alone???? and wait and see how he is tomorrow????

I would give him a rice buddy also. I would imagine that he is pretty sore just from the fight itself.

Quote Originally Posted by sassysquirrel
    I dont know if I can get the box off - it is screwed into the ceiling - He would not let me hold him before - I would have to grab him - and he may bite me - would that be to stressful on him - he is used to being outside - that is were he stays all the time - he has not been in the house for several several months - the only cage that I have to put him in would be a pet carrier - He has stopped bleeding and I know he is very very sore - I just can't believe that happened - Do you still think I need to bring him inside or just leave him alone???? and wait and see how he is tomorrow????
    OK I wouldn't risk it trying to get the box down, or even trying to pull him out. Too many things can go wrong at night, and this may really scare him if you grab him out. Can you gently talk to him just a little, just to try to reassure him that you are there. Is this a walk in cage that he is in. Can you shine a flashlight in the box to see if he is ok? First let him know that you are there before shining the light in.
    When was the last time you saw him?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    OK I wouldn't risk it trying to get the box down, or even trying to pull him out. Too many things can go wrong at night, and this may really scare him if you grab him out. Can you gently talk to him just a little, just to try to reassure him that you are there. Is this a walk in cage that he is in. Can you shine a flashlight in the box to see if he is ok? First let him know that you are there before shining the light in.
    When was the last time you saw him?
    I agree with Nancy here. Under the circumstances, too risky to try and take the box inside.

Talk to him, talk and talk, let him know you're there before you look in. Then maybe even cover his cage with a tarp for the night (if you have no roof on it or even just to make it feel more secure), so as to provide additional shelter and more peace and quiet.
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    - Gandhi -

I checked on him and he was sleeping and he wanted me to love on him - he wanted scratches under his arm and chin - I did not get close to his ears - but it did look like he had groomed himself - somehow he had got most of the blood off - I left him in his nest box - he did take 2 pieces of pecan from me - He would of let me rub and love on him as long as I wanted - I will check on him again in a couple of hours - I think he will be ok now

Checked on him again - I brought him inside - he is in a med-size crate - he let me pick him up and bring him inside - I was able to put some antibotic behind his ears - I have him on heat half and half - he nosed his way under some fleece and is sleeping - I will check on him every couple of hours thru the night - and if he is ok - I will put him back inside the release cage - poor Little Man - he is sooo sad looking

Twi_prime Guest

Hi Sassy. So glad things have calmed down some there. I hope your Little Man is okay.

Checked on him again - I brought him inside - he is in a med-size crate - he let me pick him up and bring him inside - I was able to put some antibotic behind his ears - I have him on heat half and half - he nosed his way under some fleece and is sleeping - I will check on him every couple of hours thru the night - and if he is ok - I will put him back inside the release cage - poor Little Man - he is sooo sad looking
    I'm so happy that you got him inside. This happened to Fluffer a while back and for a couple of days....he was just so lethargic and almost "bewildered". He stayed inside for about 3 days in his cage....I think he needed the extra lovin'.
    I too saw it happen, and it is the scariest thing to see how viciously these squirrels can attack one another....

That must have been so horrific to witness. Thank goodness that he still has you to nurse him back to health. Now you know that he is yours.

LittleMan

Little Man is ok this morning - He was not very comfortable last night - but after a while he was ok - he let me put more AB behind his ears and on his back - he wanted to pet and rub him - he slept good sometime early this morning - I put the crate he was in beside my bed on the nightstand so I could check on him
    This morning he was back to his normal self - I put him back inside his release cage (all the holes are shut) - Little Man has never been released from the cage - I am still waiting - but after yesterday - he maybe staying forever - the cage his huge and he seems to like and shows not interest in wanting out
    I gave him lots of kisses and took him a whole handful of hazelnuts - he is in the process of burying them right now
    I am soooo glad he is ok - and back to his sweet self
    I just can't believe that happened - Scrappy has always been so sweet - and he still gets on my shoulder, still gives me kisses and he has been released since end of November - I guess you just never know

I just can't believe that happened - Scrappy has always been so sweet - and he still gets on my shoulder, still gives me kisses and he has been released since end of November - I guess you just never know
    Some thing to take with you...... while Scrappy may stay sweet with you --he has become a regular wild squirrel and will forever now defend the wild and what he feels is his against other squirrels.

I know - it was just totally unexpected

I am now worried about my future releases - as long as Scrappy has claimed the backyard - he will now run all my future releases off - I am going to now have to come up with a different plan - I was glad that Scrappy decided to stay close - now I don't think that was such a good wish

Here are some pics of Little Man from this morning - he still looks sad - but a lot better than last night - and he now is back to my sweet Little Man - running around his cage just like nothing happened
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Suma Guest

So glad Little Man is doing better! I noticed the cage you have him in is the same as the one I put Suma in last night and never thought this would happen, but she (who is about 8 months old), chewed throught the plastic. Found her in my daugther's room this morning, funny... looked like ET, sittin' on her doll shelf in between all the dolls & stuffed animals. It's very thick carring case, but I should have known, if they want to can chew throught.
    Dolores

Poor little earsies... Little Man
    Don't beat your self up! Everyone makes mistakes, some outcomes far worse that this one.

Little Man is back to normal - except for his booboos - he needed some love off and on all day - but he did not want to comeback inside tonight - He is outside in the cage in his release box - he wanted me to stand outside with him and hold his little paw and scratch under his neck - everytime I started to move my hand away he would grab onto my hand - he is spoiled - I had to come inside - we are having a cool night here

Awwww... sweet little guy. Mama's lovin' makes all the difference and makes him feel reassured. Good to hear he's recovering from his ordeal.
    - Gandhi -

I am glad he is ok I just found this thread Wow you have had some crazy squirrel luck this last month
    Pixel Jones "Released" Best squirrel I ever had.