Thread: Anyone near Ottawa, Ontario?

Default Anyone near Ottawa, Ontario?

The Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary is closed down for the year (bawl) and I have 4 baby squirrels (3 or 4 weeks old?) that I've been taking care of for a few days.

They're doing fairly well and I think I'm doing a competent job, but I have three young kids of my own (ages 7,5&3), a home-based daycare, a puppy (12 month old GSD/Rottweiler), a kitten (7 months, DSH) and an adolescent Abyssinian cat (ever had one of those? yeah, it's fun. Heavy sarcasm on the "fun")... so the house is already plenty crazy.

I will take care of these guys as long as I need to. I'm already fairly attached to them... they're pretty awesome.

BUT I would be eternally grateful if anyone knows anyone (who has experience) who would be willing to take them. I'd drive almost anywhere withing a reasonable distance. Kingston, Renfrew, Ottawa, Aylmer/Gatineau, Buckingham, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Runestonez Guest

Default Re: Anyone near Ottawa, Ontario?

Try this number...rehabber in Kingston...name is DEE.

(number removed)
    Last edited by Squirlgirl; 04-16-2012 at 11:23 AM.

I'm scared to call people who might tattle on me to MNR (ministry of natural resources) for raising them without a license... is Dee likely to do that?

Thanks for the help!

PS. My heart is breaking thinking about giving them away... but whatever's best for them!

Runestonez Guest

Dee is good people...tell her Danielle refered you.

Hello. I just found a 3 week old east grey squirrel while I was jogging two days ago; a crow was carrying by the tail but luckily, Twitchy made it without any injuries or scratches. Can the woman in Kingston possibly take another squirrel? I live in Montreal but I'm willing to drive to make sure that he gets a good home with other squirrels to play with. Thank you.

How old is he? The lady from Kingston only takes squirrels until they're eyes are open... the lady I spoke with (Dee, from the recommendation above) actually lives in Trenton so it's quite far... three hours, at least, from where I live (in Carleton Place).

If he's the same age as mine (5 weeks or so), I can throw him in with my gang.

There's another lady in Gatineau, but she's full at the moment.

There are also a few ladies on here from the Montreal area, but I'm pretty sure one is way more than maxed out. I'll pm a couple people for you and hopefully they can get back to you.

If you have any other questions, I'm a newbie but I'm kind of obsessed right now and I like to think I've acquired enough knowledge to help you out. I'm always near my computer if you want to PM me I'll message you back very quickly.
    Squirrelmum to Mr. Fred, Mr. Barney, Wilma & Betty, Shorty & Chiquita...
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=33781

Twitchy seems to be 3 and a half weeks old (grey hair growing but with a pink belly, eyes still closed but his ears have perked up off his head). Yes I've been trying to find someone in Montreal but I know a lot of people are caring for some squirrels who need a lot more attention and it's hard to take another one.

I don't mind waiting till he's a few weeks older for someone to take him. Thank you for the quick response!! It is much appreciated!

Also, I am going to take him off the pedialyte because I can't give it to him for more than 24 hours. I'm going to switch to goat milk until I receive my Fox Valley food. I also have whipping cream and goat milk yogurt. Should I mix these with the goat milk to increase the fat content? I've seen a lot of different things on the internet and I've seen on here that goats milk is a good temporary alternative, I just want to make sure he gets the most fat that I can give him.

Thank you again for all your help!!

BTW your little squirrels are adorable and they look great! When did you introduce them to a rodent block? I haven't seen any teeth on my guy yet but I don't want to miss anything. Thank you again

Posting these for Kristie. Introducing little, adorable Twitchy... Tada!!!!!!!!! What a sweetheart

Name:  IMG-20120418-00010.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  66.3 KBName:  IMG-20120418-00008.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  64.7 KB

P.S. I realize now that he is about a week older than Scooter was when I got him. Scooter had no hair at all... just some coloring that suggested some hair was going to grow there on his head hehehe
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

EEK! Cuteness!

Thank you very much for posting the pictures! He was being a squirmy one at the time so it was hard to get a good picture of him

I noticed last night that he has a bit of downy growing on the top of his little belly so he might be closer to 4 weeks old.. ?

Also, what do you think is a good feeding schedule for a 4 week old squirrel? I've seen some websites where they classify it by age or weight (for example, 3 weeks old feed him every 4 hours). Should I ignore the age one and just determine his feeding by weight? Also, how often do you think I should feed the lil guy? Sorry for all the questions, you guys have been very informative and I really appreciate all your help!!!!

Mine were exactly that age when I brought them in, and I fed them every three or 3.5 hours. The ramped up from 2cc per feeding to 4-6cc per feeding fairly quickly (like within a few days) and never had any overfeeding poop problems (mushy white poop).

hth!

eta: The last feeding was at 10:30pm and their first feeding was at 6am, so I'd feed on this schedule (give or take 20 mins) - 6am, 9am, 12:30pm, 4pm, 7pm, 10:30pm. I still don't have a scale for them (keep forgetting to get one when I'm at the store! doh!)... it hasn't seemed to matter. I sort of feed them whatever they want until their bellies are full (but not painfully full) and but if I think they're not quite eating enough I'm fairly persistent (within reason).

Quote Originally Posted by kristieb4
    Twitchy seems to be 3 and a half weeks old (grey hair growing but with a pink belly, eyes still closed but his ears have perked up off his head). Yes I've been trying to find someone in Montreal but I know a lot of people are caring for some squirrels who need a lot more attention and it's hard to take another one.

I don't mind waiting till he's a few weeks older for someone to take him. Thank you for the quick response!! It is much appreciated!

Also, I am going to take him off the pedialyte because I can't give it to him for more than 24 hours. I'm going to switch to goat milk until I receive my Fox Valley food. I also have whipping cream and goat milk yogurt. Should I mix these with the goat milk to increase the fat content? I've seen a lot of different things on the internet and I've seen on here that goats milk is a good temporary alternative, I just want to make sure he gets the most fat that I can give him.

Thank you again for all your help!!

BTW your little squirrels are adorable and they look great! When did you introduce them to a rodent block? I haven't seen any teeth on my guy yet but I don't want to miss anything. Thank you again

3 parts goats milk
    1 part yogurt
    1 part heavy cream

I would dilute the mix with water at first - additional hydration and then over the course of several feedings reduce the water a bit each time until he is eating the full strength recipe above.