Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Half-tail squirrel with open tail wound

Default Half-tail squirrel with open tail wound

One of my favorite squirrels, little half-tail, had been comming around for a while. A few months ago I noticed she was now down to a 1/4 tail and her tail was wounded. I watched for a while and it seemed the wound was getting better. She kept comming everyday and seemed to not be in any pain and the wound was healing. Well, it seems to be getting worse now. This morning her tail wound looks like it might be bleeding; it is very red. She is still comming for peanuts and doesn't seem to be in any pain, but I'm very worried now. How long will she be alright for with this wound? I'm willing to do whatever is necessary, be that attempting to trap her temporarily. Whatever is needed. I just don't want anything to happen to her. Thank you everyone.
    But it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life.

Default Re: Half-tail squirrel with open tail wound

If she doesn't seem to be in any pain, and still comes for her treats, I'm sure she will be fine!
    I see squirrels all the time around my neighborhood with bits of tail missing, and they've healed and seem to cope well. How long has the wound seemed fresh for? I'm sure if you give it some time, it will heal nicely and you can start calling her Quarter

Gabe Guest

There are a number of ways to look at this.
    Time of year is a factor. This time of year when it is cold there are no flies laying eggs and therefore no maggots to worry about.
    Cooler weather also means less viable bacteria. So, chance of infection is lower.
    She is easily observed by you because she is coming daily for food.
    If she suddenly stops coming you will not be able to find her and help her.

Sooooo, the question is...... to continue to watch and see what happens. If she gets worse and stops coming it will be too late to try to intervene.
    OR to trap and treat her. What treatment would you give once she is trapped? You would continue to feed her and keep her in a cool area to prevent loss of her winter coat. You could give antibiotics which you would also be able to give her when she is free by mixing it with a bit of peanutbutter.
    These are things that I consider when I debate about treating "on site". You must weigh the pros and cons.

Gabe, that is very interesting info. I never thought of there being a lesser chance of infection because of cold. Makes a lot of sense.

Farani,
    is there any puffiness?
    Any pus that you can see?
    is she lethargic at all? If so you might want to grab her now.

I know when a squirrel has a bad tail wound sometimes the part of the tail that is after the wound dies. It will turn brown, dry and flakey. The dry dead part eventually falls off. IS it possible that the dead part from before fell off but a tiny bit of extra skin came with it thus causing it to bleed a little? The end of the tail is not too hard for them to heal. I imagine that the base of the tail takes a little longer since it is thicker. I can't imagine what this feels like for them being that the tail is part of the spine. And I thought I had back pain. Keep us updated.

My squirrel Squeetie had a nasty break in her tail when I first got her. It was half way down and at a 90 degree angle. It had this big pus pocket on it. It took a while like a month or so to heal but it did all the same. She did not lose any of her tail. YOu can see her in my signature. Best of luck.

P.s. In the meanwhile keep her well fed to give her the energy to heal.

She does not seem larthergic and I don't see any puss. It has been this way for a long time though. I could see red and bone. It seemed like it was healing and then today it looked like it was freshly wounded and a larger area was red (/bloody?) I'll try and get some pictures of her when she comes back. She seems to have good energy... her behavior hasn't changed. I've never posted anything because she still seemed normal. But today it looked so bad I thought it was time. Thank you everyone .
    But it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life.

I think it could be possible that she is chewing it. We have had that happen with squirrels and they have had to have there tails amputated to the point where they can't reach it anymore.

I wonder if rather than the original wound 'getting worse' if what happened is she got in a scuffle and someone re-opened the wound, or added to it. You know how if you rip a healing scab off too soon it looks worse than the original hurt does.. if this is the case, then it should start healing up again soon.

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

TexanSquirrel Guest

Poor baby. I hope everything turns out okay!

i wouldn't catch her. i'd keep feeding her- try to become her best friend. make sure she keeps coming. catching her would be worse for her health than letting the tail heal by itself.

do any of your squirrels let you touch them? it would be great to rub some bacitracin on the tail tip, but you wouldn't want her to freak out and stop trusting you.

poor little lady. give her a nut for me.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Halftail has recently allowed me to hand her peanuts. Just this morning she put both of her hands on mine. However, she is a little highstrung and a few weeks ago gave me a little nibble lol nothing major. She is a bit of the runt and she seems to be picked on. I don't think she'd let me rub anything on her tail though, sadly.

I was able to take a great picture of her tail this morning. It does not look like fun
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Ohh... Ouch. Not fun at all. Well, I'm not experienced when it comes to injuries, but personally with that much meat exposed, I'd want to keep it moist with neosporin or some type of ointment.. that's gotta hurt...

Hopefully someone experienced will let you know your options.. thanks for looking out for her!

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Farani
    Halftail has recently allowed me to hand her peanuts. Just this morning she put both of her hands on mine. However, she is a little highstrung and a few weeks ago gave me a little nibble lol nothing major. She is a bit of the runt and she seems to be picked on. I don't think she'd let me rub anything on her tail though, sadly.

I was able to take a great picture of her tail this morning. It does not look like fun
    Oh..what a poor baby..Farani....
    I feel so, powerless..as every one..when they's not a whole lot you can do..
    I hopw some one..can come up with an idea..for you...
    How have you been.. havent seen you in a LONG time...

ill be back..later .to see how she's doing..poor thing. .it looks very painful!
    Rachel....FTN......................

That doesn't look good, Farani. Poor baby, I do so hate to see a squirrel without it's beautiful tail! I think something's going on there with the wound. It is definitely infected. If you really don't want to catch her, then you can treat with antibiotics. First you'll need to get the antibiotics and figure out the dosage. Then to give it to her, if she comes regularly every day, you can mix the medicine in some peanut butter, yogurt, avocado, or whatever she likes, and put it in a dish for her. You'll have to watch and make sure she's the one that eats it. Another way is to make a "peanut butter pill." Take a peanut and remove the nut. Smear the peanut butter/medicine mixture inside and put the shell back together. Now you can toss it to her from a distance if you have to. The shell protects the stuff inside.

Good luck.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

agree... I've seen two of mine with fresh tail wounds and watched them go through the process of healing.. at times they looked pretty awful, but nothing like that :/

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

Sarah Guest

OH Poor Baby! They used to make a spray for cuts and scrapes that didn't sting. Maybe it could help while you're waiting on the antibiotics. Or could you dissolve some neosporin plus pain relief in hot water and put it in a sprayer? Good luck.

Gabe Guest

Sulfa, AKA Tribrissen or SDZ tastes like Cherry
    Albon tastes sweet also.
    I would recommend one of those over Baytril as Baytril is extremely bitter and will be difficult to get him to eat it.

Critter_Queen Guest

I agree with Gabe. Sulfatrim will treat a wide variety of infections and has a nice smell and taste. If I'm not mistaken, it's also used in children...so is also very safe and easy to give.

How would I go about getting this medicine from the vet? Should I take a picture to them? Is there anything over-the-counter that would work?

Quote Originally Posted by FLUFFYTAILNUT
    How have you been.. havent seen you in a LONG time...
    Thanks everyone for all the posts! Hopefully I can get something done here in the next day or two. I'll do whatever is necessary. I can call the vet tomorrow morning if needed.

Yeah, I've been sorta busy, and most of my forum-time has lately been spent on mac forums... I was waiting for the new macbook to come out so I was on there 24/7. But now I have my new Macbook so I'm back for good .

Critter_Queen Guest

Hopefully the vet will give you the antibiotic without any troubles. If you can't get the Sulfatrim, we'll see if we can find something OTC that would work...but the best solution is the sulfa from the vet.

Keep us posted!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast