Thread: Missing foot

MadDog Guest

Default Missing foot

So it's been a while since I've been on here and no one will probably remember me, but I had a squirrel who got bit by a spider and passed away from it. Well, about a week or so ago my neighbors brought me three little squirrels about four to five weeks old. Closer to five it seems to me. All are doing great, but one of them lost a back foot while they were in the nest. It must have happened when it was young because it's healed up and gives him no problems. My question is, will he be ok in the wild without the foot. Will it interfere with his lifestyle at all? I know birds do fine without them, but I'm not sure if the same applies to squirrels. I would hate to let him go and something happen to him because of his disability. Also, I've just recently learned about the squirrels version of down syndrome. His face compared to the other two little ones is squished in more. Could it be that? He also is the more care free one. The other two are starting to charge me and give normal squirrel behavior, but he's just as nice and calm as he can be. Thanks for the help.

lilidukes Guest

Default Re: Missing foot

Hi MadDog

Some pictures would be a great help. Did the baby possibly fall on his head??? Are you prepared to keep him if he is non releasable???

MadDog Guest

Thanks. I will get some pictures just as quick as I can. They might not be all that great though because it's gonna be a web cam I use. I don't think he fell anytime either cause the nest was behind a bench in their shop. And yes. If he is non releasable, I will keep him. I loved my last squirrel to pieces and have experience with the mess they can make and their more crazy side. You did not mess with my last ones food. lol

MadDog Guest

This is a head shot of him and a shot of his missing foot.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

lilidukes Guest

Time will tell you as to whether or no he will be releasable. If his mobility is good and he can run fast and jump at least 5-6 feet with no problems, then by all means let him go with the others. Good luck!

What a cutie! Does it look like he could of been born without the foot??

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

hi. can you wrap him in fleece and take a pic of the stump?
    is it a birth defect or do you think it was an incident?
    is there any scabing or is it healed?
    is it completely furred or bald?
    I have seen the same happen in one of my releases babies, we thought perhaps rats , I do not have racoons which could also do this, but usually racoons will wreck everything and eat everything...
    also, is his chin thick/lower jaw?
    or is that my bad vision?
    Good to see you back on!

MadDog Guest

I posted those pictures. It actually is covered in fur. Do you think it could be a birth defect? And his chin isn't as thick as the picture looks, but it is a little and it's set back further than the others are. Something my parents just reminded me about too is that he star gazes alot. He'll just sit in the cage and stare up for prolonged periods of time. I compared his head to my other little buddies and their's definitely a huge noticeable difference. His eyes are bigger and his head, while shorter is fatter. He's not as active as the others are either. What you guys think?

I cant help but think he looks like a red squirrel....tails is throwing me off though.....but man.....he's got that face.
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

lilidukes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    I cant help but think he looks like a red squirrel....tails is throwing me off though.....but man.....he's got that face.
    I thought he looked like a red in profile too

Quote Originally Posted by lilidukes
    I thought he looked like a red in profile too
    White eye rings.....black stripe down his nose....and his face....he just looks so....I dont know.....POed. LOL.
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

MadDog Guest

I'm pretty sure they're grey squirrels. The other two look just like a regular baby. This one has the squished in face. I don't know though.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog
    I'm pretty sure they're grey squirrels. The other two look just like a regular baby. This one has the squished in face. I don't know though.
    He probably is a grey....ears are off from a reds too...but I just cant get over that face.
    Here is a batch of reds about his same age.
    Was he found alone....or with the others?
    Pardon...I just love my Reds....and would like to see them rule the world....just not my house.....
    Got a weight on him??

Émile Zola

MadDog Guest

That's fine. lol Mine aren't as red as those guys, which are really cute by the way. And yeah, they all three are from the same nest.

Welcome back!

Looks normal to me...
    Down's babies are much more stockier, their head is stockier and sort of squarish... but maybe, if pics were better, it would be easier to tell...

For now you can just take care of him and see how he grows...

it might be some other deviation from the norm, not just Downs.

as for leg...

well, if he becomes fast and can jump...
    but then, squirrels use their back legs to climb down and eat hanging by back legs...
    So, again, hard to tell right now - need to wait till he grows..

But if he remains sweet and cuddly and still different from others, maybe, he will be better of as a NR... because a sweet personality + physical disability do not sound like a good combination for a fast-paced wild life.

But again, just speculating.
    Will have to see how he grows up.

MadDog Guest

Thanks. That was very helpful. Well, I guess it's just a waiting game now.