Thread: Found a baby in my yard this evening....

Jilly4 Guest

Default Found a baby in my yard this evening....

I rescued 4 babies a few years ago that were thrown from their nest during a tornado that hit our town. Only one of them made it in the end. Today, my son found another baby that had fallen from its nest. This one looks to be about 2 weeks old or so. No hair yet. I am afraid he has some injuries, although he is acting fairly normal. I immediately warmed him, and once he was warmed, started giving him little bits of pedialyte through a dropper. I know they can aspirate easily, so I am being extremely careful. I made a lot of phone calls and found a vet in our area that also rehabs squirrels. I am taking him first thing in the morning so he can get all the best care. I am going to just give him pedialyte through the night. Does that sound ok? I don't have any other formula and all the pet supply stores are closed. What else can I do for him to make sure he is ok? I am keeping him warm and watching him like a hawk. I will stay up with him all night just to make sure he is still breathing, etc. What else can I do with my limited ability to care for him? Thanks, Jill

Default Re: Found a baby in my yard this evening....

Hi and welcome!

pedialyte can be given for no longer than 24 hours.

Is he on a heating pad? - an no-auto-shut off heating pad should be UNDER half of his container, set on low.
    You can make a rice buddy for him to snuggle.

Are you giving him away to that vet or will you be coming back home with him?

if you are going to come back home with him, you will need to get Fox Valley formula - that's the best formula for squirrels.

While you are waiting for FV, you will use a home made Goat's Milk formula.

Wow Hello
    What you are doing sounds great!
    We have other people from Il on here also.
    Make sure he is in a container with a heating pad under half of it and on low. Give him a fleece blanket to cuddle up in.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

Jilly4 Guest

The vet is going to rehab him. She does it often, and I know he will be better cared for with her. I started the pedialyte about 2 hours ago, and I am taking him to the vet at 9am. That will be about 14 hours with no formula....is that ok? I desperately want this little guy to make it. I have a heating pad for him too.

that should be fine, he will be nice and hungry and ready for it when he gets to the vet .
    Getting him warm and hydrated is the important part for now and you have that beautifully covered

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

Jilly4 Guest

[IMG]C:\Users\test\Pictures\2012-03-20\103_6562.JPG[/IMG]

Here's my baby. I hope I can help him......poor guy.

Sounds like you have your hands full for tonight to make your picture upload go to the area below the text box and click on manage attachements and attach it there.
    Pixel Jones "Released" Best squirrel I ever had.

Jilly4 Guest

Baby is doing really well! I took him to the vet and she is rehabbing him. She said aside from a few cuts, he looked great and had been completely rehydrated. I got him to poop and pee at about 4 that morning, and by the time he got to the vet, he was peeing every hour. I get to check in on him whenever I want too. On a sad note, I found his sister the next day in the same spot he had been. She must have fallen over night. She didn't make it. The kids and I made a little grave for her and buried her by our shed, next to her tree. Thanks for all the help!

Jilly4, you are SO one of us . Great job....how wonderful that this baby will be raised by someone with experience so he has the best possible chance of making it. Poor little sister. But you did an excellent thing....stick around!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thank you for caring.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.