Thread: Download a Thread

Default Download a Thread

If a thread is several pages, how can it be downloaded to a text format?
    Siberian Chipmunks - Buddy (RIP 1/10/12), Remy, Martyn, and Lilly

mpetys Guest

Default Re: Download a Thread

Marci, I just saw in your signature line that Buddy passed away. I am so sorry.

I can try to explain how to save a thread. When my Tina died, I wanted to save her thread for her scrapbook. What I did, did not save it as a text file but as an html file. So when you open it on your computer it looks just like it does on TSB. Here is what I did:

1. Make a new folder where you want to store this file(s). I had to save each page separately. So, in my case, I created a new folder called Precious Tina.
    2. Open thread.
    3. At top of screen, click on FILE, then click on SAVE AS.
    4. Okay, what I did was saved as a Web Archive, single file (*.mht). Let's do that first. You can accept the name it gives for the file or rename it to what you want.
    5. Click save. You have just saved the first page. You will need to do this for every page. This way saves all picture, text formatting etc.

To save as a text file:

1. Make a new folder where you want to store this file(s). I had to save each page separately. So, in my case, I created a new folder called Precious Tina.
    2. Open thread.
    3. At top of screen, click on FILE, then click on SAVE AS.
    4. Okay, here you would choose Text File (*.txt). Again, you can accept the name it gives for the file or rename it to what you want.
    5. Click SAVE. Again, you have only saved the first page. You will need to do this for every page. You do not get any pictures and it is hard to read.

If anyone knows how to save all the pages as one page, I would love to know how too. After you save the first page, when you save the other pages, they will have the same name with the page number after the name. Let me know if I can help you with anything, and again I am so sorry to hear aout Buddy.

Thank you about your condolences regarding Buddy. We miss him so much.

The way you described is what I thought to do it, very painful indeed with over 30 pages.

There has got to be some way that the technical system administrator, perhaps that is IR (I know she is the TSB administrator), can download the entire thread at one time rather than parsing it using 40 posts at one time. The thread's key field is the title which holds all the posts together.

It would be a comforting gift from TSB if I could preserve Buddy's thread on my local drive.

mpetys Guest

Bumping this in case anyone can help Marci find a better way and show us too!

If you are subscribed to the thread, you can go to the User CP and select it with a check mark and on the bottom right are options to download.

And I too am very sorry for your loss of Buddy
    I don't always have enough time to keep up with all the updates and had not realized he passed away recently.
    He was sure loved so much, what a lucky little guy!
    "I always thought someone should do something about that, then I realized I was someone” ~ Lily Tomlin

"The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

Hi Marci,

Unfortunately TSB has no technical support directly accessible. This board and the use of it is a gift from it's founding members, and is supported separately from the board's administration. Tasks such as this one are beyond admin's ability to perform.

Hopefully at some point later this year will be getting a much-needed upgrade, and this functionality may be included.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

I considered saving the KING's thread, but 428 pages---one at a time YIKES !
    It TSB was to lose it -like we lost some stuff in JULY ( mysteriously) ---I'd be devastated.

I got a better result by copying everything and then opening Word 2010 and pasting it as an HTML format. This got me all of my birthday greetings in color. I just tried it on Meemor's thread and got the pics too. You still have to do it a page at a time, but if you really want it. . .
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

djarenspace9

I never subscribed to a thread. I am going to try your suggestion.

Thanks to everyone else. I know I can go the page by page method, OUCHS!

Sorry I got a bit confused...the download option is for PM's not threads...
    "I always thought someone should do something about that, then I realized I was someone” ~ Lily Tomlin

"The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

just another idea:

When you are inside the thread, go to Thread Tools (menu bar on top):
    Pick Printable Version
    When it shows you the printable version, go to File (your browser menu bar)--> Choose Print --> when a Print dialogue box pops up, choose Preview --> it should give you a .pdg preview of the page ---> go to File again, choose Save as .pdf.
    This way you can save it as a .pdf file.

A few things though:
    1. photographs are not saved, text only;
    2. Not sure if you have to go page by page (that's what I once ended up doing).
    However, when you get the Printable version, look where there are pages: 12345 next. Right under these page numbers it should say something like "display all posts on one page" or something like that.
    You can choose that display and see if it prints all at once, instead of going page by page.
    Hope, it makes sense.

The only problem is, again, that photos don't get included.

EDIT: Marci, i just tried to do that and I ended up with 8 .pdf pages, which is not that bad, I think.
    So, i followed all the steps as I outlined above: got the printable version, and under the page numbers I chose "Show 40 posts from this thread on one page" (or however it is worded), then, in File chose Print, in Print dialogue box chose Preview. It previewed it as .pdf, and I had 8 .pdf pages in Preview mode. Then, instead of printing this .pdf i just saved it and ended up with a thread saved as a 8-page .pdf document.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo

Hopefully at some point later this year will be getting a much-needed upgrade, and this functionality may be included.
    "Your lips to God's ears", as they say......(hoping...praying.....)
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Lizzy123 Guest

Default Adopted a new squirrel

Hi There, im from South Africa (Cape Town) and found a baby (about a month old) in my garden - actually two babies but the one was busy dying - so my friend took it and nursed it back to health. So now i only have the one. I just want to know what exactly must i give it to eat so that he still gets all the nutrution he needs. I gave him a milk mixture and Nestum Baby Poridge, but does not want that anymore. I started with raw penuts, Sunflower seeds and acres. Is there anything else i can give or is this about it. I was thinking some nuts - not sure which ones and Fruit Loops (Cereal).

And i also want to know at what age whill he be fine to go out on his own and come back again. I'm just scarred he will run away if i let it out. Afraid that something will happen to him if he does deside to run away. He's about 8 weeks old.

The other thing is that i've heard from other people that if you get him a female, that they become wild and run away.... Is that true??

We are going to build a big cage in the back of our yard so he can stay there, will that be suitable. For i dont think that he will survive in the wild.

I would really appreciate your feed back

Thank You

Lizanda

Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net