Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flying squirrel diet

Default Re: DO YOU WANT ACORNS???

:wott my acorns came yesterday cacb !!!! Mavryc really enjoyed them quick ? though... what color are they supposed to be on the inside when they are ripe?!

p.s. i also got some Florida wormies (stowaways) lol Mavryc didnt like them though do fox squirrels eat worms or just flyers

are you still selling them?

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

if sweeping parking lots etc for acorns,,,side note...be careful what the landscapers and maintainence people are treating the areas with that you are collecting from..pesticides and fertilizers..etc
    Not you cuteascnb, I know you are collecting clean safe acorns!

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Hi Randy
    Quote Originally Posted by boxerpup
    I had the same problem at my house in Sarasota. Usually, our trees produce thosands but this year we got about 5% of that. Me Too...bad year here for acorns...As a sidenote, Jackie in Tampa, our guys are doing great.Squirrel resides in the nest box and he comes ans visits everyday. He even made some new friends,now that my yard is full of acorns.Squirrelfriend has built her own nest, over the garage,just above the dryer vent.Probably helps on those cold winter nights. She comes and says hi every once in awhile and hangs with Squirrel most of the day. As I sit here typing, both of them are outside my window burying an acorns. I think they know I'm talking about them. Take care Jackie and thank you again.They made it.
    Thank you for the update...they will be in my heart, thoughts and prayers forever! I love you Sq and Sq Friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Mavrycs Mommy
    :wott my acorns came yesterday cacb !!!! Mavryc really enjoyed them quick ? though... what color are they supposed to be on the inside when they are ripe?!

p.s. i also got some Florida wormies (stowaways) lol Mavryc didnt like them though do fox squirrels eat worms or just flyers
    Not really MM.....Ive tried offering my foxers meal worms and silk worms...NO GO! They bit the head off of one...and threw it on the ground never to touch it again. I think in the wild they will eat bugs and eggs and birds out of desperation... but with Mavryc being well fed he probably wont want them.
    Where did you say you found these worms?? In the acorns??
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Here in Florida (im not sure if its any where else), the acorns will ocmetimes get little worms in them...I believe they are bo weevil larve... Gross non the less and Im not sure if they are appitizing to squirrels, but they wont hurt them!

Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    Not really MM.....Ive tried offering my foxers meal worms and silk worms...NO GO! They bit the head off of one...and threw it on the ground never to touch it again. I think in the wild they will eat bugs and eggs and birds out of desperation... but with Mavryc being well fed he probably wont want them.
    Where did you say you found these worms?? In the acorns??
    yep they were in the acorns!!! he squished it with his paw like "eww mom whyd you put a bug in here"

The acorns will be good for the squirrels regardless.
    If you don't have any, pay the shipping.
    If you're lucky, some might have a worm in there that the squirrels love.
    Freeze the things when you get them.
    This year, acorn crop was bad down this way.
    We're still feeding last years.
    Get some while you still can.

Smile YO-BABY YOGURT

Well Im trying the yo-baby yogurt with Sadie and Bandit...I wanted to give them the banana one but all they had was apple and sweet potato yogurt...has anyone else tried this...they really seem to like it though!!!

Default Re: YO-BABY YOGURT

maybe post in the flyer forum ... it might be a quicker response there ...but.... if they eat sweet potato and apples then the yogurt won't be too different.....

although for myself that seems like a strange combination for yogurt...not that i don't believe you ....

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

I was thinking the same thing about the combination....but its honestly all they had...They did have the yo-toddler one in straw-berry banana but I thought the yo-baby was better for them...! Any way they seem to like it, I put some oat meal on top....yogurt is never really a problem with either of them, was more curious if any one else has given that flavor to their squirrelys....OH and I tried a little and its actually pretty good...odd taste for yogurt...but I guess thats why its made for babies!!! LOL

http://www.stonyfield.com/products/y...e-sweet-potato

I guess they have a line of 3 in 1 yogurts now!!! Mixing fruits and veggies...they also have a pear and greenbean, and peach and squash??? LOL....I have a feeling these are probably by far the best yogurts you could get for squirrels!!!

Default Re: rodent block???

I use the Mazuri blocks for my skeeter girl and she loves them! I ordered them online and I thought they were affordable. So now Skeeter eats the Kay-tee and Mazuri.

I used the recipe Marty gave me and Stormy Lee likes hers made with grated sweet potato over the ones made with applesauce. She nibbles at the Mazuri I just got, and has tasted of the Zupreem Primate blocks. She wouldn't eat the Kaytee at all, so that got made into the squirrel cookies.

They like the KayTee but perfer their yogurt, chicken, worms, and salads alot more.....THEY LOVED the HHB's but I have run out! I'm gonna get a bunch at tax season and freeze them!!!

Zero, to no potasium, and good calcium level.
    May very well try it.
    Going to mention this in your post in the flyer area as well.

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat
    So sorry ! I missed this post. I have sent you a PM.

Marty

Hi! Can you please send me one too? I love making yummies for Darwin! Thank you!

I will be glad to send it this evening a little later. Have to run out for an hour or so.

Marty

Plz send it to me, too!!!! TY!
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast