Thread: what to use instead of syringe on newly found squirrel

tarakp Guest

Default what to use instead of syringe on newly found squirrel

hi guys.....new to the forum...new to finding a baby squirrel til last week!!! this site is awesome and saved her life...she will be with a licensed rehabber and other babies tomorrow......she thanks you all for the great info. i was just wondering though.......when most people like me find these guys, we have no idea what to do. so many of us show up here. most everyone has the ability to warm the guy, and has water, sugar and salt to make the rehydration mixture without leaving the house and spending money. the thing is.....syringes are not easy to get ahold of. is there ANY emergency alternative to a syringe/bottle for people to use...temporarily..that you can find in most househlods??? the only thing i could come up with was maybe a coffee filter dipped in the warm fluid and squeezed drop by drop because a wash cloth or cloth of any kind could have detergent still left in it. i think a lot of people just want to help the little guy til they can get it to someone who knows what they r doing but might say to heck with it if they have to run around town getting supplies. just trying to make it easy and economical for people to help them while they wait for a rehabber. everything but the syringe/bottle you suggest is easy and convenient for the big hearted to help.......til the trained pros can take over!!!

Default Re: what to use instead of syringe on newly found squirrel

I have always been able to get free syringes from the pharmacy that I keep on hand. They aren't the best like the o-ring ones (thanks Jackie In Tampa) but do work for a while. A 1cc syringe is the best size to use. A very tiny eyedropper will also work in a pinch if you are very careful. Bottles are considered a big no-no due to aspiration issues.

I have a small, clear plastic "lockable tote" that I drilled air holes in near top so that there wouldn't be a draft on the animal. It's big enough to hold my heating pad, syringes and old t-shirt for bedding. I added a small index card notebook with recipes for the goats milk formula, homemade re-hydration solution, charts on feeding amounts and age estimation info as well as basic care info. I just keep the kit up on a shelf so if the need arises it's all there together.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

i think it was muffinsquirrel who said to use a washcloth ...ages ago ...and yes it has to be super rinsed and clean.... but it's good because it prevents aspiration.....

also a super clean unused paint brush is excellent for mice.... but i'm not sure how big for a squirrel????

maybe ...just keep it warm...contact a rehabber and run like mad to the pharmacy for 1cc syringes....

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

i have found that petco and petsmart vet offices are really good about selling their syringes pretty cheap. i always have them on hand. with a syring you dont always need a nipple.
    You can love them, raise them and let them go.....after that, they are in mother nature's care...........Welcome to the nut house!

Home to Leroy & Lisa ... ...some just know they have it good I guess!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.