Thread: smelly baby

Default smelly baby

I found a baby on 9/7. She is around 4 weeks old. She smells horrible. Even after a cotton ball bath. Sometimes it's a urine like smell and sometimes it's almost like sour milk or something or baby puke maybe??? IDK how to explain it except it is stinky. I have never had this issue with any of the others. I thought it might not be so bad as I thought cause I am 32 weeks pregnant and well every thing smells stronger than usual but my daughter says it's not just me, so what could it be?????? I washed everything yesterday and boy lemme tell ya it doesn't smell like it's been washed in weeks. She is eating pooping and peeing just fine. I've had her on FV since i got her. 2 to 1 ratio. She is a foxer.
    PEACE,LOVE,AND SQUIRRELS!

Default Re: smelly baby

hi: i asked admin to move this somewhere else ...maybe non-life threatning...

she's on fox valley ... 2 water to 1 fox valley?

i'm really surprized she smells so bad... i think that something is wrong....

hope to get answers soon....

and she's a fox squirrel... ? any photos ???

pee and poop ok? .....

any mites..scratching etc...???

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

A urinary tract infection can make for very pungent pee....I will move this into Non Life-Threatening help needed.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Yes fox valley at 2-1 and she is eating pooping and peeing. I haven't noticed any scratching. I'll checked her over for anything, mites? could that may be causing the stinkies? I did look her over pretty good when I first found her other than a tiny scratch on her leg and one on her nose (both are gone now).

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/100_4161.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/100_4162.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/100_4163.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/100_4165.jpg

here's the photos.....
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

awesome thank you, the spot on the blanket in the first pic was a stain that was already there. Maybe she is peeing in her bed between feedings? I will check for wetness next time she eats. Her pee isn't extremely dark when I stimulate her. I do it before and after she eats. She does sleep a lot but she is a baby so that is pretty normal.

ok dark pee is a warning signal.....

do you have a squirrel vet nearby ????

do you have a rehabber you can get meds from?

i'm not sure but giving plain water (maybe with real cranberry juice) between feedings is probably a good idea....

you'll need some help.... hopefully the rehabbers will see this soon.....

ps: shes ... amazingly adorable!!! love that little mouth shot....

oh!!! edit ... you said it's not dark ... my mistake ...

Silvana..

her pee isn't really dark just a lil bit yellow on the cotton ball. I don't think the vets around here would want involved, and I don't know any rehabbers that are close. I know there is one about 45 miles from here but she wouldn't take the one from last year she just said call parks and wild life who wanted to put her down. I was like uuummmm..... NO!!!!!!! I will try water and or cran juice, is there a brand or type juice that's preferred? Yes she was yelling at me mouth wide open. She is a doll and omgoodness is she snuggly , she loves to nuzzle right up into my neck.

Try the diluted cranberry juice for now.....if her pee is still stinky you will need to get some SMZ-TMP/Sulfatrim/Bactrim and treat her for a UTI.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

m&bs mom Guest

I just went through the same thing with the 4 babies that I have. The smell is just what I described...vomit. They smelled so bad. It took several actual baths and a few weeks and now they smell so sweet....oooh la la! Hopefully yours will loose that smell like mine did...it just took a little while.

My God Sammy smelled so bad it was awful! The trouble was that if you tried to bathe him it reactivated the stench...lol He was on Esbilac so we assumed after learning about FV, that it was the formula. Maybe he really was just a stinkpot!
    Good luck! I felt like I smelled like that little stinker forever!

I checked and double checked for mites and didn't see anything, thank goodness. How much do I dilute the cran juice? I am wondering if mama didn't kick her stinky butt out of the nest.... meanwhile I guess I will be washing blankies every other day or so. Thanks everyone for the prompt replies, I will keep posting and get more pics.

cranberry juice....

i don't know ...it's recommended but maybe you could start a new thread....

mrs skul ... uses it a lot.... you could pm her....

i'm more cautious because she's a baby ....

if there were mites you'd have crusty discharge too....

Silvana..

Hi squirrelygirlie75
    I am out side of Houston. Can I help you? I have Baytril if you need it. Where in Texas are you? I will send you a Phone Number. Call if I can help.
    By the way. How often are you feeding? Are you adding Heavy Cream and Full Fat Yogurt to the FV? Your little one could use the extra calories.
    PS
    Please Don't call Fish and Game!

HI Mrs Skul,
    I am in Central Tx close to Austin.
    I think she is ok I've been giving water in between feedings, she didn't take to the cranberry juice so I figured water was better than nothing and she loves it too so win win. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but she has been more eager to eat and she is a lot more active since I started giving her water. And today I saw a glimpse of an eye so maybe she is just growing up and getting more active. Before I would literally have to keep waking her up at meal time. And she is eating more too where before she didn't seem too interested.

I was feeding every 3 hrs but she wasn't really interested so I started 3 1/2 and still not that eager to eat now at 4 with water in between she is searching for it. I do add a lil heavy cream now that I have things working good.
    I am wondering though if it could be that she is getting too warm? I thought I read that some where not to get them too warm but I could be wrong. I am still keeping a very close eye on things just in case, I think she was peeing in her bed and it was stinking everything up. Her pee is completely clear when I stimulate her which is also more often(before and after any input)

She had me freaking out thinking bad kidneys or UTI or something but I am feeling a bit better now.
    I also wonder if she wasn't quite as old as I originally thought when I found her or the runt. Tomorrow is wash day so I will bathe her completely and wash her blankies, I should know by the evening if there's still a stench.

i think if she responded so well to the water she was dehydrated... they won't eat as much if they are....

so water is always good!!! so keep it up between feedings...

also keep stimulating or whatever it takes to stop her peeing on herself if that's what she's doing...it will lead to urine burn.

as for cranberry it has to be the real thing ... and maybe diluted in her water... but ofcourse it's ? sour....

can't wait for updates... cls.

Silvana..

It is like she's not even the same baby, she fights me for formula now and is eating more of it too. I am so relieved!!! Her eyes are opening,YAY I always loved that. Tomorrow I will get some yogurt to add to her formula. I have heavy cream and look into getting Henry blocks ordered. Meanwhile, total cuteness....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

how can one little squirrel be so cute!!!

omg... water was it!!! dehydration ... omg... i'm so glad and yet so stunned ...

it just goes to show how different each squirrel is....

as for the cream and yogurt ... i'd hold off until she's super stable...

(there's a 50/50 split with rehabbers ...some love it and some don't like adding anything extra to the fox valley ....i'm sitting on a very uncomfortable fence regarding this)

want to make sure there's nothing else underlying...

love the hhbs .. again i'd wait to give them to her until you know for sure that's she's all better....

(fox valley also makes a great product called ultra boost for squirrels ..it gives them extra calories... just in case you're interested)

edit; they need warmth...digestion shuts down without it .. but they need heatning pad only under half the box ... under the box ..on the outside of the box ... and only half so if they get over heated they can move to the cooler area....

Silvana..