Thread: meds/home remedy for dog ear infection?

Twi_prime Guest

Default meds/home remedy for dog ear infection?

Hi all. Anyone have experience with a doggie ear that gets all wet, stinky, irritated and swollen? Even a little bloody, but we figure that must be from all the scratching she's doing? Do you think this is mites or strictly infection, or a little of both? The affected ear does get really swollen and kind of stands up higher than the other because of it. Any advice is appreciated. We have cleaned it twice with white vinegar, after reading that that will make an unpleasant environment for both bacteria and yeast. Needless to say, she hated that. Not sure if it has helped or not. Thanks everyone.

Default Re: meds/home remedy for dog ear infection?

Quote Originally Posted by Twi_prime
    Hi all. Anyone have experience with a doggie ear that gets all wet, stinky, irritated and swollen? Even a little bloody, but we figure that must be from all the scratching she's doing? Do you think this is mites or strictly infection, or a little of both? The affected ear does get really swollen and kind of stands up higher than the other because of it. Any advice is appreciated. We have cleaned it twice with white vinegar, after reading that that will make an unpleasant environment for both bacteria and yeast. Needless to say, she hated that. Not sure if it has helped or not. Thanks everyone.
    If it smells like stinky feet...its probably a yeast/fungal infection. Neem oil works good. Im just not sure if it can be applied to the inside of the ears. Im using coconut oil on Flash for yeast...and its working.
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Dog Ear Wash

Part white vinegar
    1 part alcohol
    1 part water

Mix in a squeeze bottle and use once a week to flush ears.

The alcohol will hurt, so use this after the ear is healed.
    Flagyl will kill the yeast. Ear infections are very common with droopy eared dogs.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Twi_prime—I hope you can have the ear looked at/swabbed by the vet. Treating with over the counter meds won't clear them usually.

"Zymox" —click here for link are over the counter products that work the best for chronic ear problems. The ear wash along with along with otic are great.

Zymox treats both bacteria and yeast, has hydrocortisone to relieve itchiness.

If you have trouble giving the ear drops, put a towel over her eyes and she won't fight it so much.

Good luck and let me know how she's doing.
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Twi_prime Guest

Thanks everybody.

Jo--My bf tried olive oil and I don't think he likes the progress made with that so far. I don't think he's going to like the idea of another oil. He and I recently had very persistent ear infections too, without any luck from the old sweet oil remedy, so that'll probably influence his thoughts too.

Regarding his and my recent ear problems, I know everyone says pets and people don't pass ear infections to each other, but does that still go for yeast? I don't know that mine was yeast, but it was something called Cortisporin that finally gave me some relief.

Anne, can I ask, is flagyl over the counter or do we need an Rx? If we don't need an Rx, do you know where I can buy it? Is there another name for it?

Pointy Tale, we will go to the vet if we have to, but it's soooo pricey and we are soooo broke. Thanks for the advice on zymox. Any idea of a physical store where I could buy it?

Thanks Again Y'all,

Kathy

Anne, can I ask, is flagyl over the counter or do we need an Rx?
    If we don't need an Rx, do you know where I can buy it?
    Is there another name for it?
    Anne suggested this to Me just the other day...... I got mine from the local Fish Store.... but they no longer carried it under its old name here in Lakeland (Flagyl / Zole) and Lucky for Me there was an older Salesman there that knew exactly what I was talking about an ordered me the right stuff (already in powder form) --I will be picking it up today..... and I will post the other product name for it later on today after I pick mine up.......

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    Dog Ear Wash

Part white vinegar
    1 part alcohol
    1 part water
    - Funny that you mention this as my kids doctor (back when they were little) suggested that we us this long ago in our kids ear after they went swimming
    to cut down on Swimmers Ear...... been using it for ages (got a mix of it in the bathroom as we speak) --

Twi_prime Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody
    Anne suggested this to Me just the other day...... I got mine from the local Fish Store.... but they no longer carried it under its old name here in Lakeland (Flagyl / Zole) and Lucky for Me there was an older Salesman there that knew exactly what I was talking about an ordered me the right stuff (already in powder form) --I will be picking it up today..... and I will post the other product name for it later on today after I pick mine up.......
    Thanks! That'll help.

Twi_prime—I completely understand about vets being very expensive these days. Well, I’m not sure what pet stores are local to you, Pet Smart seems to be carrying it, but only online, I think.

Do you want me to overnight it to you? If so, please PM me your address and phone number. Please let me know either way, this morning.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Twi_prime Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pointy Tale
    Twi_prime—I completely understand about vets being very expensive these days. Well, I’m not sure what pet stores are local to you, Pet Smart seems to be carrying it, but only online, I think.

Do you want me to overnight it to you? If so, please PM me your address and phone number. Please let me know either way, this morning.
    Hi Pointy Tale, I sent you a pm. Thanks for this kind offer. We may end up needing to take you up on it if Danny thinks we can't afford to order from Amazon or somewhere, but I do want to see if I can find this flagyl/zole stuff too. Thanks!

Hi Pointy Tale, I sent you a pm. Thanks for this kind offer. We may end up needing to take you up on it if Danny thinks we can't afford to order from Amazon or somewhere, but I do want to see if I can find this flagyl/zole stuff too. Thanks!
    Flagyl is a prescription. Its mainly used in treating things like Giardia.
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Twi_prime—I rec’d your PM, pls read my response BEFORE 4PM.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Twi_prime Guest

Twi_prime—I rec’d your PM, pls read my response BEFORE 4PM.
    Hi Pointy. I responded. If you really don't mind sending the meds, we'd definitely like to try them. from me and my bf.

Twi_prime— I rec’d your PM and am working on it. I will be back a bit later.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Twi_prime—Zymox is in the mail. I just sent you a PM.

I’ve copied below some information about Zymox for you, specifically the directions for use.

Good luck and you know I now expect to see pictures of your girl.

Zymox - Otic Enzymatic Solution—
    Sources: www.amazon.com and www.kvsupply.com

Description: Aids in the treatment of acute and chronic otits externa due to bacterial and yeast infections. Contains 3 active enzymes that have been shown to be antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral.

Ingredients: include natural enzymes, lysozym, lactoferrin, lactoperoxidase with 1.0% hydrocortisone.

Directions: Apply liberally to fill ear canal. Gently massage and work into infected area. Wipe to remove excess. Treat once a day for 7 days, 14 days for chronic infections. DO NOT USE in conjunction with other topical ear medications or ear cleaners.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Twi_prime Guest

Twi_prime—Zymox is in the mail. I just sent you a PM.

I’ve copied below some information about Zymox for you, specifically the directions for use.

Good luck and you know I now expect to see pictures of your girl.

Zymox - Otic Enzymatic Solution—
    Sources: www.amazon.com and www.kvsupply.com

Description: Aids in the treatment of acute and chronic otits externa due to bacterial and yeast infections. Contains 3 active enzymes that have been shown to be antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral.

Ingredients: include natural enzymes, lysozym, lactoferrin, lactoperoxidase with 1.0% hydrocortisone.

Directions: Apply liberally to fill ear canal. Gently massage and work into infected area. Wipe to remove excess. Treat once a day for 7 days, 14 days for chronic infections. DO NOT USE in conjunction with other topical ear medications or ear cleaners.
    Thank you very, very, very much. Thanks from my bf and from Molly too. Lemme get you a pic...

Name:  Mol.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  51.0 KB

Twi_prime—what a beautiful looking pup you have there in your Molly. I sure hope she will feel better soon. Keep us updated too, if you can, on her progress. I just love her pink collar, by the way!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Twi_prime Guest

Twi_prime—what a beautiful looking pup you have there in your Molly. I sure hope she will feel better soon. Keep us updated too, if you can, on her progress. I just love her pink collar, by the way!
    Lol! She has actually outgrown that collar now. I'll have to get you a more recent pic soon. She's growin' fast and may someday catch up with those giant feet. Your package did arrive today, but I haven't been able to apply it yet, as Saturday is always my craziest day. We'll start applying it on Sunday though and let you know how she progresses. Thanks again!

Twi_prime—did you get a chance to try the Zymox?
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Twi_prime Guest

Twi_prime—did you get a chance to try the Zymox?
    Hey. Sorry for the long delay. It was work- and hellish-internet-problem-at-work-related. We've been using the Zymox daily since Sunday and I think it's helping. The ear is looking healthier and less red inside and feeling/looking less swollen to me. (My bf didn't agree with me that it looked swollen in the first place?) There's still crusty, bloody stuff on the bottom of her ear opening (like inside the flap, but right at the ear opening, if I'm interpreting it right?) and I'm trying to be vigilant about getting stuff worked into that area. I think Molly even realizes it's helping, 'cause I don't think she's fighting me as hard, even though she doesn't like it much. We're going to stay on top of this and, if isn't healed after 1 week, we'll extend treatment to 2. If it isn't completely healed after that, should we go longer? Thanks so much.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.