Thread: Question about 25 hour heat packs

mpetys Guest

Default Question about 25 hour heat packs

I just got some in from Squirrels and more. There are no instructions on the packages. Does anyone know how to use these? I am thinking when I open the foil pack, there will be the heat pack inside that becomes activated with oxygen.

I have a baby going downhill and am thinking that I might want to use one of these wrapped up in fleece when I am holding her as she is losiing heat. I have her up against my chest and she is warmiing up. I went to feed them and she had pulled away from the heating pad and the group of squirrels and was cold.

This baby fell from a nest into the back of a pickup truck full of water. the finder said it is a wonder she did not drown. She has a missing toenail on her left front paw and one on her left rear paw. She is on smz-tmp. She has been doing good, good pee, poop seems strained a bit. She is not an enthusiastic eater, seems to eat to please me. She seemed strong in that her grip was stronger than I expected. She wants to cling to me. Other than that, she has not been energetic and her eyes seemed to be straining to focus when she would look at me. Welcomed and seemed to enjoy the other squirrels cuddling up with her, keeping her warm.

Thank you.

Default Re: Question about 25 hour heat packs

If I'm not mistaken, when you open the wrapper and expose it to the air it activates the heat. They can become very hot so watch it carefully.
    I had a baby come in last week that sounds just like yours. Mine was 5 weeks old and fell from a tree into a wet garbage can lid. He was cold, wet and wanted to snuggle for the first two days, then he picked up nicely. Now he's a fat little, hyper squirrelly who wants to play all the time. Hope yours turns out as well. good luck.

I asked the SAME THING not long ago.........
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=29605

and YEP --I was told to / open it - air it - shake it
    but sadly, none of my 3 worked --

P.S.

I use 4 OLD 16oz Water Bottles / FILLED with HOT Water / Slide in Dress Sock
    as my back up warmer NOW!! --

Air activated, and they can get hot. Very hot.
    Don't wrap the bag, just place some clothe between it and the squirrel.
    I don't think it's necessay to tell you to make sure the little one has room to move away if needed.
    Please be careful. Those bags do need ventilation or they may over-heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Skul
    Air activated, and they can get hot. Very hot.
    Don't wrap the bag, just place some clothe between it and the squirrel.
    I don't think it's necessay to tell you to make sure the little one has room to move away if needed.
    Please be careful. Those bags do need ventilation or they may over-heat.
    Thanks Skul........ and after some one else told me actually what YOU have said (and it might have been you- )
    --I decided I would NEVER use the packs again...... No reason to risk such a DANGER once I was informed.....

Yeah, I looked into them and decided they were too dangerous. Some folks seem able to use them fine, but when they fail it's tragic.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

mpetys Guest

Thanks for the replies. I think I was just a bit frantic with how cold this baby got. I had her on my chest but wanted something for added warmth. After a good 1/2 hour on my chest, this little one started moving around and had warmed up. She has the slightest clicking in her lungs. Am considering that when she fell into the back of the pickup full of water, that she might have gotten some water in her lungs at that time. I moved her back into a cage and she had crawled on top of a rice buddy. She did not eat but I will try some fluids during the night and hopefully she will be better in the days ahead.

I did open one of the packs and you are right, they get very hot. If I need to, I will let her sleep on my chest with a rice buddy there as well!

*Cough* the good ole breast *Cough* - God gave You works for warming UP babies real Quick!!
    I have used My Big "C" (lay em in the bra) many of times......

Make a little tiny, skinny rice buddy, heat it and smoosh it around so you don't have hot spots. Lay baby on buddy with tummy against it so the buddy comes right up to her chin, and wrap baby and buddy together into a burrito - it is a good way to feed pinkies because they NEVER get cold plus I think having that direct warmth right against them still helps keep them quiet and not struggling when you feed.

This would be a "BBB" = Baby/Buddy Burrito!

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

I have used the 8 hour ThermaCare HeatWraps while traveling as a heat source very successfully. They stick to the bottom of the carrier so I know they will stay where I put them, then I wrap the bottom of the carrier (mine has a separate piece) with 2 layers of fleece, then babies, then some small strips of fleece for them to dig in.
    They are air activated and take a minute or two to heat up.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

That is a great idea. At the end of the winter, I buy tons of the hand and boot warmers when they put them on sale - I have also found big ones with super long heating life (lots of hunting up here). I keep them in my emergency baby kit - great for transporting by car and also for power outages.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.