Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby squirrel with broken leg

misti0629 Guest

Default Baby squirrel with broken leg

My dog tried getting a hold of a squirrel that i took in last week. He is now dragging around one of his back legs when he tries to walk. Before I realized his leg was messed up he was still climbing all over me. What should I do every vet I have talked to does not treat squirrels the one I found who would treat him said they can not see him untill friday and if his leg is broken they will put him down. I do not want this to happen. I have grown very attached to this little guy and want to get him better. Please Help!!!!

Default Re: Baby squirrel with broken leg

Quote Originally Posted by misti0629
    My dog tried getting a hold of a squirrel that i took in last week. He is now dragging around one of his back legs when he tries to walk. Before I realized his leg was messed up he was still climbing all over me. What should I do every vet I have talked to does not treat squirrels the one I found who would treat him said they can not see him untill friday and if his leg is broken they will put him down. I do not want this to happen. I have grown very attached to this little guy and want to get him better. Please Help!!!!
    Where abouts in Florida are you? How old is your little squirrel. How exactly did your dog try getting him?

misti0629 Guest

In lake butler it is about 35 minutes from gainesville. I am not completly sure this is what happened I had went to get my kids from school came home and found out the dog had gotten in. Noticed that the book that I had placed on top of the box was off so I started searching for him. I found him in a blanket that was on the floor in the room and didnt even realize at first that his leg was hurt untill I seen how he was crawling on me funny. I do not know how else this could have happened to him thats why I think he may have been trying to get away from the dog. I do not see any bite marks though

misti0629 Guest

I think he is between 6-8 weeks he is eating food and from all of the pictures and descriptions I have read this is why. My fiance thinks it looks like his hip may be dislocated but I do not know

In lake butler it is about 35 minutes from gainesville. I am not completly sure this is what happened I had went to get my kids from school came home and found out the dog had gotten in. Noticed that the book that I had placed on top of the box was off so I started searching for him. I found him in a blanket that was on the floor in the room and didnt even realize at first that his leg was hurt untill I seen how he was crawling on me funny. I do not know how else this could have happened to him thats why I think he may have been trying to get away from the dog. I do not see any bite marks though

I would imagine that your squirrel would not have gotten away if your dog actually got him. I'm thinking perhaps a fall to the floor? How far is the box to the floor? He may have just sprained his leg. Does he have movement, can you feel any breaks?

I have a couple of contacts in Gainesville. I'm trying to get you some numbers.
    Love and Hugs,
    Meredith

misti0629 Guest

The box was on my bed whick is just the box spring and mattress on the floor so it is not very high. I had put him on here because he has managed to become very good at escaping. I am getting him a cage tommorrow if I can still care for him. I have not felt to see if I could feel anything broken I am scared it will hurt him should I try? My fiance says to him it looks like his hip is out of place but he has not felt either.

The box was on my bed whick is just the box spring and mattress on the floor so it is not very high. I had put him on here because he has managed to become very good at escaping. I am getting him a cage tommorrow if I can still care for him. I have not felt to see if I could feel anything broken I am scared it will hurt him should I try? My fiance says to him it looks like his hip is out of place but he has not felt either.
    Sometimes a break is really hard to feel, so don't even try. Can you post a picture of him? Does his hip appear higher on one side?
    Pictures may help if you can.
    Just saw the post from Grinn75 who is looking for help for you in the Gainesville area...fingers crossed.

Dr. Cottrell would be first choice.

Dr. Cottrell @ West End Animal Hospital
    http://www.westendanimal.com/

All Creatures Family Pet Center (they list sugar gliders in their list of animals that they see)
    http://www.allcreaturesfamilypetcenter.com/
    Love and Hugs,
    Meredith

I have a friend who does rehab in the Gainesville area and she uses Dr. Cottrell. I also have a coworker who uses All Creatures for his mouse.
    Love and Hugs,
    Meredith

misti0629 Guest

Sry these were the best I could get in the last two you can kind of see him dragging his foot underneath him. His hip does look lower than the other side also
    Attached Images Attached Images       

misti0629 Guest

Heres some pictures of how he is laying when he is sleeping. He normally curls up in a ball
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Definitely looks messed up. If it is just a dislocation a vet should be able to put it back and this guy would be a good candidate for eventual release. If it's broken it would have to depend on where the break is and how badly it's broken.

Either way, this little guy needs veterinary intervention. Give Dr. Cottrell a call she's great! If you are concerned about taking care of him she is a licensed rehabber and is in contact with rehabbers so he could get the care he needs.
    Love and Hugs,
    Meredith

We also have a member on here that is in the Gainesville area, Philomycus, if you want to PM her about getting the baby help.
    Love and Hugs,
    Meredith

misti0629 Guest

how do i contact Dr. Cottrell

mpetys Guest

Hopefully you can use one of the recommended vets. Any time that you contact a vet about a squirrel, it is important to quiz them first to make sure you don't go to one like the one you called, that said they would put him down if his leg was broken. I know we are lucky in Florida to be able to take a squirrel to a vet but I guess there are still some vets or some areas where you have to be really careful. I know it seems here in the Tampa Bay area, we have our choice of vets to go to that treat squirrels.

Good luck with this baby.

mpetys Guest

how do i contact Dr. Cottrell
    According to the website link that grinn posted, here is their contact info:

West End Animal Hospital

15318 W. Newberry Rd

Newberry, FL 32669

Office - 352.472.7626

Sorry I just included the link to her website on my post earlier and not the phone number.
    West End Animal Hospital 352-472-7626. I have not been to her myself but she comes highly recommended by a friend of mine that has raccoons and squirrels.
    Love and Hugs,
    Meredith

mpetys Guest

They are open 7am to 7pm M-TH and 7am to 6pm on Friday and 9am to 1pm on Saturdays. Hope you can try to call now.

misti0629 Guest

I called and they sad they I could bring him in and they would give him to the wildlife rehabilitation center. But I am scared they will put him down should I just do this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.