Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being attacked by my Percy repeatedly....

Question Being attacked by my Percy repeatedly....

My Percy has turned on me. I've set him free and he wants in and keeps climbing the screens and going from door to door trying to get in. Today he bit me in 9 spots and even jumping in a HOT shower wouldn't get him off of me. My husband came home from work to help me and to put him outside. My fingers are raw, and he bit through my skull and a thumb nail. My husband tried to block his way back in but he's going to figure it out all too soon. I went to talk to him through the screen and he started "chittering" again like he would attack if he could get to me. He wont go away, just keeps trying to get in. I'm sure he's thirsty and hungry by now.

WHAT can I do? What did I do to make him hate me? He used to demand I give him love and tummy rubs and now every time he sees me he attacks and wont let go. Even his sister squirrel Princess runs from him when he gets crazy when he sees me.

HELP!

Joanne in Jax

Isn't it amazing how such a tiny creature can steal our entire heart? Squirrel love is AWESOME! Joanne in Jax FL.

Default Re: Being attacked by my Percy repeatedly....

Oh dear! I am so sorry to hear this sad story! Is there anything that you can give him that soothes him? Or if you let him in if he asks to come in, does he attack or is he just happy to be back? Did you do a soft release or did you just take him from living inside and put him out?

Get a water bottle and squirt him. I know that sounds 'mean' but this boy sees you as his, that deck as his and he is hormonal. This can happen with any squirrel when they loose their fear of humans because we loved on them like pets. Keep that bottle with you at all times. Hopefully he will get the message. I have seen this before. Hopefully h ewill calm down and be able to come to you for food, but right now, you need to keep him away from you. I am so sorry you are going through this.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

What ever the reason Percy is in Attack Mode-please protect yourself, if you BOTH get in the same room again.
    Rama Rota has attacked me in the past...at time deep, bloody and Lightning Fast. So I use protection. Welders Gloves, a long sleeve jacket--and a Home-Made Wire mesh and Duct Tape helmet...every day---while we share the room.

He wants back in and attacks me immediately. I have a water bottle, that doesn't work. I jumped in a scalding hot shower to get him off of me today and that didn't work Tonight my husband let him in the cage to sleep because he wanted back in - the cage is in the FL room. I went up to the cage and he tried to attack me again but not my husband.

His release has been VERY VERY soft! I never just throw my babies to the wild. It's definately ME he hates . And I haven't changed anything, no new perfume, shampoo or laundry detergent, no new clothing etc. No new make up, no new haircut, NOTHING has changed except I have 2 new babies to care for.

Sigh, someone please help!

Isn't it amazing how such a tiny creature can steal our entire heart? Squirrel love is AWESOME! Joanne in Jax FL.

Hhhmmmmm...jealousy maybe? Two new babies when someone thinks he is still "the baby"? I didn't mean that you tossed him out, just curious because of his odd reaction.
    I'm so sorry to hear that he is being so impossible. Sounds like you better get Stosh's protective gear directions!

Does he have a stash somewhere that you separated him from?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Oh goodness, I don't have any advice other than the water thing, but I'd use a glass of water. One of my squirrels is SUPER protective of her nut stash and even if I unknowingly go near it, she will attack. It's happened twice now. So now I carry a glass of water. The second time she did it, I tossed it right in her face and that stopped her cold. Didn't hurt her one bit, but she got the message. I hope your baby settles down and returns to more normal. Does he have plenty of food and water outside?

I don't think it's a stash hidden that he's protecting. He attacks me anywhere I am that he can get to me. I jumped in a scalding hot shower trying to get him off of me and that didn't even work. I first tried flinging water from my hand and a bathroom faucet at him and when that didn't work I jumped in the shower clothing and all and turned on the HOT water and that didn't phase him one bit. My husband put him outside and he wont leave. He doesn't seem to know how to drink from the water bowl we have outside for the wilds, and gets really thirsty.

Today I took an extra good shower making sure I washed everywhere possible and had to have my husband's help because I'm so chewed up that it hurts just to breathe lol. My clothes I took straight from the dryer to make sure they had no other scents on them. He still tried to attack me through the cage. I'm unable to put any food in there for him if he's going to attack me. Tomorrow I'll have my husband try and put him outside again and hope that he goes off into the wild. The first time he got to go outside he stayed away for 4 days. When he came back he was beaten up but seemed okay, just wet because it was raining.

I'll keep checking back for any advice anyone wants to give. I do miss my cuddle buddy. I took his sister into the house and she went into the sofa today lol, and I had to go to the airport to pick up my adult son so had to let her stay where she was, I can't even pull the cushion out with my hands this chewed up right now. She was a good girl while we were gone, got into some peanuts is all but she knows she can have those. I think she's asleep for the night inside the sofa now lol!

This is a very dangerous situation. You may have to have your husband take him away from your home (quite a bit aways) so he will not be able to come back. I know I will probably get heat for saying this, but you cannot live this way. Aside from you, has he tried to go after anyone else? Do you have any deep woods near you that you can bring him to? He will learn to get water. You need to think of your safety, even if I know it is going to break your heart to have to do this. This is extreme behaviour and the fact he is going after you like this. Were you his solitary caretaker until this happened?
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

I am also concerned about him choosing someone else to pick on. That would be very dangerous for him too! It seems like he might have to go to someone else for a second soft release. He needs some reprogramming if you ask me. (which you certainly did not...lol)

There is a woods behind where my husband works and he was going to take him there. He's attacked my husband too, and is now trying to attack anyone that comes close. I was his solitary care taker and we used to snuggle on the sofa and watch tv together. He loved it. Then all of a sudden for NO apparent reason *to me* he started with this behavior.

I think we'll have to give him to Anne Miller - she said she has an outdoor release cage than can be used for him. Either that or drop him off in the wood by where my hubby works.

Thank you everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelLove
    There is a woods behind where my husband works and he was going to take him there. He's attacked my husband too, and is now trying to attack anyone that comes close. I was his solitary care taker and we used to snuggle on the sofa and watch tv together. He loved it. Then all of a sudden for NO apparent reason *to me* he started with this behavior.

I think we'll have to give him to Anne Miller - she said she has an outdoor release cage than can be used for him. Either that or drop him off in the wood by where my hubby works.
    Thank you everyone!
    I would opt for Annie and the release cage, another program release where he can "de-program" sounds better to me. Besides, if he's around your husband's work space there is still an association.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelLove

Thank you everyone!
    I'm so sorry! I would definately have someone take him back through the release stage before setting him loose again. He may jump on a non squirrel lover that would really hurt or kill him. That would be awful. Good luck!

momma2boo Guest

I am concerned that Percy thinks YOUR home is HIS home and being a territorial squirrel he is going to fight for it. I am afraid you will need to trap him and relocate him to an area where he will not come across humans. I had to do this many years ago with Boo's brother. He attacked me in my own yard. A local rehabber told me she would help me relocate him to a 5 acre area where humans would not be found. It worked ... no more biting me and freedom for him. Bring his nest box and anchor it up in a tree. Give him a stash in his box and take off.

This thread is just so sad! Definitely go with the second chance at release cage plan. You didn't come this far with him to have it end badly for all of you. You have done all that you can and he has just had some mental "crossed wires". Just remember it really is just some instinct/domestication combo that isn't anyone's fault. I am sure that given the chance, he can come through this to live a wonderful life!

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom
    This thread is just so sad! Definitely go with the second chance at release cage plan. You didn't come this far with him to have it end badly for all of you. You have done all that you can and he has just had some mental "crossed wires". Just remember it really is just some instinct/domestication combo that isn't anyone's fault. I am sure that given the chance, he can come through this to live a wonderful life!
    I would really hate to see Anne bitten. She is on blood thinners and does not need a squirrel with his wires crossed. If he is used to being outside then I would still look to release him on a preserve or conservation. These bites can be extremely harmful. I had my nerves severed in my thumb. Thankfully they regenerated and I can feel my thumb again, but I was lucky.

There's got to be a better way than possibly putting Anne in harms way. I know I am speaking out of place but blood thinners and attack squirrels are a bad combo.

The feelings of losing his companionship and friendly interaction must be devestating.
    I felt that way and a little betrayed for a day or so, and then I remembered that my Rama Rota was a wild animal with natural instincts -not a domesticated critter like a dog.
    I only ask that you PROTECT YOURSELF...and hopefully Soft Release in a Neutral (unpopulated) Location.The biting will not suddenly end. Any one close is a potential target.
    Sorry for your pain and your loss of your fuzzy friend.

Maybe someone besides Anne would be willing? I surely don't want to see anyone hurt but the potential for him attacking a stranger and being hurt himself seems very real. I do NOT want to cause any anxiety so I will back off, but I feel very sad for all involved.

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom
    Maybe someone besides Anne would be willing? I surely don't want to see anyone hurt but the potential for him attacking a stranger and being hurt himself seems very real. I do NOT want to cause any anxiety so I will back off, but I feel very sad for all involved.

That is why I said to release him in an area where people do not visit. I am sure there are state preservation areas where he would be safe and free ... best of both worlds. I am just concerned for any human who may come in contact with this guy.

No anxiety here ... just have a little experience since I had a squirrel who had his wires crossed and this was the advice of a rehabber. It is only a suggestion ... it worked for me and thought it would work for Joanne.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast