Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Being attacked by my Percy repeatedly....

Default Re: Being attacked by my Percy repeatedly....

All good advice. I kind of have to agree with Momma2Boo because I know Anne just got back from the hospital and Chas had to go to the E.R. on Friday for something. So neither are in the best of shape and I know Percy wouldn't take to them. I don't have people over so Percy is not used to strangers and I fear he would attack the first chance he got. Anne offered but I haven't accepted yet because I want to make an informed choice where it's best for all involved, Percy, me and my family and any other humans. My yard and the surrounding area is very wooded. However because he knows his way around my property as he is allowed out during the day he always comes right back and waits to be let in, climbing the screens and chewing on them. I'm hoping that in time he will decide not to come back, but to make a nest in a tree. I have a cage on the deck that is open with a nesting box and a basket in there for him to sleep in and tomorrow I'm going to get another water bottle to hang in it and just leave it open so he can come and go to that cage as he pleases. Hopefully that will help ease his transition. Maybe he wont ask to come into the FL room or the house if he has something all of his own out there. He is bonded to his sister and she to him, and they miss the other when one isn't there. So maybe if I do it slowly he will leave eventually. I don't live where there is a ton of people, just one neighbor beside me, one across and one behind. But that's enough people to worry about. At least one on the side has raised a squirrel and they love squirrels. They know about him biting, hopefully they don't try to feed him from the hand. I have a released that goes over to their house and eats out of their hands and he's a boy too. I would hate for them to not know who is who and get bitten. It's not just a bite, it's a full on attack. I have 9 different puncture wounds and deep slashes in just one hand. I thought I only had 8 but after I was able to wash away the blood I found another one. The other hand has 3, and my arm has 2, and my head has 2. There was so much blood on the floor that it looked like a murder had taken place here. And that's not counting all the blood that went down the drain when I was in the shower! And I have to try and get blood from my finger for my blood sugar, OUCH! Nothing like poking your already raw fingers to check your blood sugar.
    Sigh....

Isn't it amazing how such a tiny creature can steal our entire heart? Squirrel love is AWESOME! Joanne in Jax FL.

PS, I live in Jacksonville FL if anyone out there is willing to take him and do another soft release for him in a place that is far enough away that he wont come back.

Isn't it amazing how such a tiny creature can steal our entire heart? Squirrel love is AWESOME! Joanne in Jax FL.

momma2boo Guest

Joanne ... I am so sorry for the bites you are tending to. I feel your pain and I am so sorry. Please take care of yourself. If all else fails take his nest box (with him blocked in it) and put it up on a tree NOT near your house and leave. Protect yourself. You did all you could for him. You've raised him and loved him ... time to set that bad *ss free.

Quote Originally Posted by momma2boo
    ... time to set that bad *ss free.
    Lol, yes it is definitely time to set him free!

Here's a Little Scary Squirrel Trivia...
    For those of us ( that means MOST) who have had a close encounter with those ORANGE Chompers...it makes Perfect Sense.

..A squirrel's bite can exceed 7000 psi. For comparison, a human's bite is around 150 psi. Thus, a squirrels bite is about 50 times as strong as a human's. Though I don't know what force is required to break a human finger bone, I suspect it's not that much. Don't stick your fingers in squirrels' mouths.

Wow, interesting tidbit there! I sure felt all that PSI in the many bites I have on me. He's outside right now enjoying the day. I'm hoping he doesn't come back tonight...

A preserve would be the best place, somewhere he is not likely to run into ANY humans. Although not common, I have heard of extremes like this before. I am sorry things have turned this way, but deep in the woods, away from you (and being able to find his way back or even anyone else's house) is best. He shows up on someone else back screens, it will not be a good thing.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Percy went outside all day yesterday and didn't come back last night. I was hoping perhaps he decided finally to be wild. But today he came back, found his secret opening into the Florida room and is hungrily awaiting the rest of my fingers. I stepped out and he started for me with evil intent. I jumped back in the house and he went crazy, chewing on anything he could get to. I waited for him to fall asleep and gave him a plate of food, but now I can't get to his sister the girl (princess) to give her any food! She's out in the cage - the cage is shut and she seen me put the plate down - she knows what her food plate looks like and loves feeding times. Eating is her favorite thing and I can't get food to her. Thank goodness her water bottle still has water! It's like 100 out there in the FL room!

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelLove
    Percy went outside all day yesterday and didn't come back last night. I was hoping perhaps he decided finally to be wild. But today he came back, found his secret opening into the Florida room and is hungrily awaiting the rest of my fingers. I stepped out and he started for me with evil intent. I jumped back in the house and he went crazy, chewing on anything he could get to. I waited for him to fall asleep and gave him a plate of food, but now I can't get to his sister the girl (princess) to give her any food! She's out in the cage - the cage is shut and she seen me put the plate down - she knows what her food plate looks like and loves feeding times. Eating is her favorite thing and I can't get food to her. Thank goodness her water bottle still has water! It's like 100 out there in the FL room!
    OH NO! I hope you get this figured out. I know your heart has to be broken by Percy turning on you. I haven't been around a squirrel quite that aggressive before, so I don't have any real sound advice to offer. I'm so sorry. And poor Princess! Maybe you should make a suit like Rama's dad? Best of luck.

My Little Girl has had babies in the house and bites me several times a day. I am lucky enough though that she doesn't bite really hard, just a lot. Don't get me wrong...I look like I've been through a shredder..but it's more scratches and scrapes with the teeth and nails than it is those actual "pop" puncture wounds. I hate that sound and those bites hurt for days!

How exciting that your girl had babies! I'm sorry she's aggressive toward you, I'm glad she isn't shredding you with her teeth. I think if Percy had gotten just 2 more bites on my thumb then the thumb would have been cut in half. It was really serious and he means business that's for sure. What is so weird is that he was SUCH a cuddle boy for a YEAR and a HALF! Then WHAM out of nowhere he hates me. I'm going to go peek and see if he's waiting for me still.
    Take care and have fun with the babies!

Just wondering...how long has Percy been so aggressive? There's a part of me that hopes it will pass. Is there anything really thick that you could put on and go in there to feed Princess? Something he couldn't get through? I would continue to be nice to Percy though, as hard as it is...because they say squirrels will hold a grudge! hahaha

LG has her days. I've learned with her that if I have any type of food in my hand when approaching her she doesn't bite me. She comes at me like she's going to chew my limbs off..but stops and smells the food in my hand and either takes it or turns around and goes back to whatever she was doing. LOL! There were several days where I was actually scared to death of her though! She still has her moments...She LOVES to crawl under my shirt and bite my sides...and she will attack my elbows too! If I grab her and hold her lying back, she still lets me rub her and give kisses and lifts up her arms for me to rub! Crazy girl! I'm waiting for the day she pierces my lip...I need to have a ring ready for that one! hahaha! jk...

He's only been aggressive for about 2 weeks. I just got back in from the FL room and had my 22 yr old son talk to him. My son got fairly close and he was fine. As soon as I opened my mouth and said hello to him he started going crazy and chewing on all in sight. So it's definitely me he's hating for some reason. When I took the plate of food out I rubbed the plate all over my body so it would have my scent on it so he'd know where the food comes from lol!

I'm still being nice to the little ****, although I'm sure he can sense my fear.

How's Percy today? I've been thinking about ya!

Percy is ROTTEN today! He didn't come home last night but yesterday sat in the FL room waiting for me all day. He's back again today, and I didn't know he was out there and he chased me back into the house and he's gnawing at the door trying to get inside the house. My phone doesn't work in the house and I'd like to go out to make a phone call grrrr! I'm honestly thinking of having him put to sleep at this point. The nerve in my right thumb was severed, what if next time he gets my neck or plucks an eye out?

HELP! (lol)

My advice is to get some welders gloves and put them on and deal with him firmly, but not nastily. If you can throw a towel over him you can wrap him tight in it like a burrito so you can have an eye to eye conversation. Is he jealous of other squirrels that you have? They DO get and hold grudges.

How about putting him back in a confined cage until he settles down? Running from him is not working, so you will now have to assert yourself. Remember, you outweigh him about 150 to 1. Yes he is faster, but you are grabbier.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

I'm SO afraid of him! He has bitten so hard and so many times. I don't heal due to diabetes, and my thumbs are in horrible condition. I can try to get him in a cage, in the house. My son just scared him out of the FL room and I was able to get food and water to Princess, and bring her in for her own safety. I found some boxing gloves - don't have Welder's gloves so I'll try the boxing gloves to cover my hands if I see him out there again, and wear a robe and a leather coat.

OMG...there is nothing at all funny about what is going on with Percy. That said, I just had hysterics envisioning you trying to go out in a robe, leather jacket and boxing gloves! I am crying I am laughing so hard.
    Please be careful and maybe someone could loan you welding gloves because I'm not sure punching Percy with boxing gloves is going to help the situation.

momma2boo Guest

Joanne,

This has become a fairly serious problem. You cannot continue to be bitten. He obviously has it out for you.

You must trap him. Do you have a "Hav-a-hart" trap? If not, maybe someone here does and would loan it to you.

Trap him and release him (hang a nesting box up on the tree and leave him a stash of nuts).

Be sure you release him in a remote area where there aren't homes or parks. I thought euthanasia was the only option for Boo's bully of a brother too but the rehabber told me he could be released. You might want your son doing the actual releasing him from the trap. Also, be sure he is well covered (Jeans, welding gloves, hat, long sleeve thick shirt) just in case.

Good luck.

Our biggest problem is we keep thinking he'll go and be wild in the back yard / area in a few weeks. We hate to see him suffer or go hungry all alone out there. So we keep hoping that if we ignore him - or should I say the rest of us ignore him and me not even go outside then maybe he'll go away but still enjoy the peanuts, purina squirrel chow and other goodies we give the wilds.

I don't have a safe trap, but hubby can probably get him out or in a cage.

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelLove
    Our biggest problem is we keep thinking he'll go and be wild in the back yard / area in a few weeks. We hate to see him suffer or go hungry all alone out there. So we keep hoping that if we ignore him - or should I say the rest of us ignore him and me not even go outside then maybe he'll go away but still enjoy the peanuts, purina squirrel chow and other goodies we give the wilds.

I don't have a safe trap, but hubby can probably get him out or in a cage.
    Joanne ... he has wild squirrel instincts so he will not starve or be lonely. As humans we project our own fears and emotions on our animals. He will be fine, I assure you.

In a perfect world he would be a kind squirrel who releases beautifully and comes back to say "Hi Mom Thanks for loving and raising me. I am eternally grateful!".

Unfortunately this in NOT a perfect world. Percy has wilded up and become mean. It is not uncommon although it hurts no matter its commonality.

I wouldn't continue to mess with something that obviously WANTS to be completely free of humans. The best thing for him is to release him in a remote part of the woods where he will NEVER run in to humans again. By doing this you will save his life and possibly future squirrels. If he bites a human there will be a witch hunt for these precious critters. People will get the wrong impression and think squirrels are evil when in fact even Percy is not evil ... he is wild.

Please give it some serious thought. You raised him to be free ... and you did a magnificant job. Now, let him go be free Momma!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast