Thread: TEMPORARY Goat's Milk Formula***

Default TEMPORARY Goat's Milk Formula***

***While waiting for the Fox Valley to arrive...

Temporary Formula for Infant Squirrels – The Goat’s Milk Formula

Because of recent manufacturing issues, Esbilac and other puppy formulas are no longer being recommended for squirrels or other wildlife. The formula that TSB recommends, Fox Valley Day One, is currently available online at www.foxvalleynutrition.com and www.henryspets.com. But those require shipping and this baby squirrel needs food NOW.

One of our senior members who posts as Jackie in Tampa uses an excellent temporary substitute, and it can be assembled from locally purchased ingredients:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels may do better digestively if, instead of being given Fox Valley formula straight, mix the Fox Valley 50/50 with the Goat’s Milk Formula assembled WITHOUT the heavy whipping cream.

*It is recommended that when just starting to feed a new baby that the first feedings be made without the heavy whipping cream. This will give their digestive systems a chance to acclimate from mama’s milk to our substitute without the harder-to-digest whipping cream. Once they accept the formula and are eliminating properly, the whipping cream can be gradually added in.

When your Fox Valley formula arrives, please transition your babies to the new formula slowly, by blending the Goat’s Milk Formula with the blended and liquefied Fox Valley formula, increasing the ratio of Fox Valley with each feeding until you are no longer using the goat’s milk.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

Default Re: TEMPORARY Goat's Milk Formula***

This needs to be a sticky! Great post! I got the Mayerburg (believe that is the name) Goat milk at Market Basket (the liquid, Whole Foods sells the powder).
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.

It's stuck.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

I have fresh, raw goat's milk available. Do I still have to mix the milk with yogurt and whipping cream?

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean.
    I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win.
    That's just the way it is. "

~ Josey Wales

Yes. What are you feeding? If it is a very young squirrel, I would start first with just the gm adn yogurt to let its tummy adjust to that first and then slowly mix in the cream after several feedings with no issues.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.

I haven't received my squirrels yet, but they have been on a canned goat milk/karo syrup/something else(can't remember) diet for almost a two weeks.

I will have to transistion them to fresh goat milk, but why is the cream needed since fresh milk is so rich and creamy anyway? The squirrels will be a little over 5 weeks when I get them.

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean.
    I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win.
    That's just the way it is. "

~ Josey Wales

I fed goat's milk formula for years, there was no other canned or powdered formula available. Goat's milk was more nutritional and digestible. Karo syrup was added to keep babies from getting constipated. Yogurt was no widely known is the US, and heavy cream was not used-unless someone decided to add it because a baby was horrible thin and couldn't gain weight. Many times the yogurt and cream added can cause diarrhea. Added one at a time for skinny babies (cream) or ones who don't have the correct gut flora (may have been on an anti-biotic) is OK. Fresh goats milk should have cream, as does the canned since it is homogenized.

If you don't agree with me-fine. I have done this with farm animals since I was a child, and have raised many,many baby squirrels in adulthood. Do as you please, I am just passing on my experience.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator/advisor: NFSA

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Fox Valley is the best for squirrel babies. Please everyone, order it as soon as possible. It is wonderful right from the pouch/bucket and really doesn't need anything added to it. Baby squirrels thrive on it and it is best.
    Thank heavens, we have it to use!!!!!!!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator/advisor: NFSA

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

where can I buy this fox formula?

Hey everyone, I have been giving my little guy (4-5 week old Indian palm squirrel) this formula, since I cannot get Fox Valley, etc. Until I can find goats milk (I am scouring the city!) I make this with fresh cow's milk, yogurt, and I am slowly starting to introduce cream.

Yesterday, he was going fine but today his bms have become progressively softer and now (after second feeding of the day, 12:30pm) they are very soft, almost diarrhea I would say.

Less than 1/5th of the mixture is cream, yesterday it was only a drop, etc. Do you think I added cream too fast? In the days before he was on boiled milk/cream (unfortunately I didn't know any better). His health otherwise seems fine and he just opened his eyes last night. Please let me know what you think!

I would with hold the cream...... it is not needed, but can be an added benefit for some extra fat & protein in the diet. But your little guy will do well on the milk and yogurt.
    Rhapsody - - -> (Carolyn)
    http://mothernaturesrescue.webs.com/
    Funds for Zulu..... http://www.gofundme.com/7tbhqk

Royal Canine formula is available in your country I believe..

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. Yes I am looking for Royal Canine! Going to a pet store this weekend to look for it.

Thread Information