Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding my baby Esbilac puppy formula, but can I...

Default Re: Feeding my baby Esbilac puppy formula, but can I...

Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    This all sounds so familiar!! Not being able to get pics....grunting noises.
    The noises are how he is communicating with you. Its not an aggressive thing....he's just talking you could say.
    That noise you hear will get much louder. He will become much more vocal...and much more demanding.
    Good luck getting pics....its almost impossible unless they are eating.
    He sounds absolutely perfect.....full of energy and trusting you.
    How long have you had him?

I've only had him since last friday... lol, I take him with me everywhere, even brought him into my counseling appointment, she loved him too.

It all screams youth. He hasn't had his mother to teach him about dangers....now thats up to you! DO NOT let him around other animals of ANY kind. Cats.....although we love them....will kill him in a heartbeat...and one bite from a cat...even a lick....can be a death sentence.
    He approached you the way he did because he needed help. They will go to just about anything if abandoned...even a dog or a cat to try and get help. He sounds like a very normal squirrel.
    Does he have a name yet?

The cat hasn't seen him since that day, I make sure... I actually haven't seen much of my cat, I've been with the squirrel twenty four hours a day.

He doesn't have a name yet, still trying to decide. I call him "Wiggly Butt" "Hyper Butt" (A lot of Butt, huh?) he's so cute.

OMGOODNESS, I forgot to mention. Every animal has a spot they love to have itched, I found my squirrels. Around the neck, if I rub up and down his neck, he lifts his arm and likes to be rubbed around his armpit. XX Super cute XX

Red squirrels are very very small full grown.
    Full grown they are about 7 ounces....and around6-7 inches all without the tail.
    About the size of a soda can.
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Red squirrels are very very small full grown.
    Full grown they are about 7 ounces....and around6-7 inches all without the tail.
    About the size of a soda can.
    Aww, that's what I thought, so sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostie
    OMGOODNESS, I forgot to mention. Every animal has a spot they love to have itched, I found my squirrels. Around the neck, if I rub up and down his neck, he lifts his arm and likes to be rubbed around his armpit. XX Super cute XX
    ARMAGE!!!! So cute. He definitely loves you.
    My guys are about 14 weeks old...and they wouldn't dream of letting me rub them anymore. They do however still run and climb all over me.
    Now....back to the food issue. If you are going to the pet store...you will want to pick up some rodent block. I use Kaytee forti diet pro health. You can make a concoction called Boo balls....( ground block, fox valley, ground nuts, fruit and coconut oil). If you think he loves you now.....wait till you give him one of those!!! LOL. They are so good for him...and will get him eating block well.
    He will need a good Calcium and phosphorous supply...and the block provides this as does the FV. In no time he will be eating block all by himself...and you will only have to provide him with this...and a small bit of fruit of veggies. Don't be surprised at how much and how often he will eat....they have extremely high metabolisms....and need quite a load f calories to keep up.
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Oh...and I also forgot....never ever feed a red squirrel acorns....they cannot digest them....I can't stress how different they are than the average squirrel.

Émile Zola

[QUOTE=jo_schmoe]ARMAGE!!!! So cute. He definitely loves you.
    My guys are about 14 weeks old...and they wouldn't dream of letting me rub them anymore. They do however still run and climb all over me.
    Now....back to the food issue. If you are going to the pet store...you will want to pick up some rodent block. I use Kaytee forti diet pro health. You can make a concoction called Boo balls....( ground block, fox valley, ground nuts, fruit and coconut oil). If you think he loves you now.....wait till you give him one of those!!! LOL. They are so good for him...and will get him eating block well.
    He will need a good Calcium and phosphorous supply...and the block provides this as does the FV. In no time he will be eating block all by himself...and you will only have

I already got him the Kaytee blocks. He likes to play with them and nibble a little, but like his formula a lot more. He's sleeping on my bed in my blanket ^__^ So in love with him, haha, he's so sweet.

How many times a day should he be getting formula if you say he's five weeks?

[QUOTE=Ghostie]
    ARMAGE!!!! So cute. He definitely loves you.
    He will need a good Calcium and phosphorous supply...and the block provides this as does the FV. In no time he will be eating block all by himself...and you will only have

I already got him the Kaytee blocks. He likes to play with them and nibble a little, but like his formula a lot more. He's sleeping on my bed in my blanket ^__^ So in love with him, haha, he's so sweet.

How many times a day should he be getting formula if you say he's five weeks?
    Well...I would say about every 3.5 hours....and 5-7% of his body weight at each feeding. At 5 weeks....he may start to try and wean. Reds mature a lot faster than greys or foxers. My guys were off formula at about 7-8 weeks. This is where the Boo balls came in handy.
    If you can get you hands on a gram scale....you can calculate how much he will need per feeding. Looking back in my records...at 5 weeks....my reds were eating anywhere from 4-9 ccs per feeding.

Émile Zola

The Forti-Diet food looks like giant guinea pig or rabbit pellets. It does not have seed and corn and stuff in the bag. THAT is what you want to purchase locally.

If you want to get him off the esbilac before you get your fox valley, you can buy one more thing when you are out - goats milk. The major supermarkets don't sell it up here (at least none of mine in Portland do) but health food stores, Trader Joes, Whole Foods - those places do have it. The recipe for that formula is

3 parts goats milk
    1 part Stoneyfield yobaby banana or vanilla yogurt
    1 part heavy whipping cream.

It is a really good homemade formula and the babies seem to just love it. Better for him than the esbilac.

[QUOTE=jo_schmoe]
    Well...I would say about every 3.5 hours....and 5-7% of his body weight at each feeding. At 5 weeks....he may start to try and wean. Reds mature a lot faster than greys or foxers. My guys were off formula at about 7-8 weeks. This is where the Boo balls came in handy.
    If you can get you hands on a gram scale....you can calculate how much he will need per feeding. Looking back in my records...at 5 weeks....my reds were eating anywhere from 4-9 ccs per feeding.

Alright, perfect, that gives me a good idea.

My baby tries to eat a table spoon (5ml I think) at every sitting.... he hasn't had diarea or constipation.... But I don't want him to get sick...but I also don't want to take his food away >_<

Here are some HINTS on posting photos
    Remember -most original photo files need to be resized or compressed to fit on TSB...Let me know if you have Microsoft Office in your computer. If you do I'll send a HOW to Compress Directions.

How to POST Photos on TSB SEE attached file for Color-Coded directions...HA !

Go on down to the Bottom left after the last post--in any thread --you will see a POST REPLY box.
    Click on it--it will take you to the REPLY to THREAD screen
    Above the MESSAGE field--there is a header bar with:
    FONT….SIZES… A Smiley Face… PaperClip and Arrow---this is where you will attach your photos...
    1-click on small arrow next to the paper clip icon above the message box
    2- click BROWSE
    3- choose photo desired ( from your files )
    4- right click photo ( to highlight it)
    5- click SELECT
    6- photo appears in the attachment box screen
    7- choose a second photo (if desired)--repeat
    8- click UPLOAD ( wait 15 seconds) and attachment(s) will appear at bottom of screen
    9- when done- click the X at top of screen to return to MESSAGE screen
    10- write message

P.S.
    Most photos will need to be compressed to fit on and to be easily viewed on TSB.
    Different computers have different photo editing software.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ya know...looking back at pics of my reds....he may even be a bit younger than 5 weeks.
    The one in this pic is 6 weeks....notice the bushy tail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Émile Zola

Ya know...looking back at pics of my reds....he may even be a bit younger than 5 weeks.
    The one in this pic is 6 weeks....notice the bushy tail.

Yeah, his tail isn't too bushy... Huh, younger, okay. I ordered the Fox Valley, so I'll be making the Esbilac with the cream and yogurt until it comes in.

I guess I just thought he was older cause he likes to act like a big tough squirrel, which he's not yet >_>

Yeah, his tail isn't too bushy... Huh, younger, okay. I ordered the Fox Valley, so I'll be making the Esbilac with the cream and yogurt until it comes in.

I guess I just thought he was older cause he likes to act like a big tough squirrel, which he's not yet >_>
    LOL....again...a red squirrel trait. My 5 didn't even have their eyes open....and were yelling at me like little tough guys and charging at anything that moved. Sooooo funny.

Émile Zola

Hows little man?

Émile Zola

Hows little man?

He's doing great. He's just a big ball of energy. He's of course with me all the time, even now, haha. Waiting for the Fox Valley to come in.

He eats 5ml at every feeding, I googled and that says it equals 5cc, so, he's eating a teaspoon at every sitting. My only worry is that he refuses to eat more then twice a day, and prefers to play with seeds (not sure if he's eating them, but he spends a lot of time holding them (like an adult squirrel)) And he chews on his Kaytee Rodant Block which he's had since I got him.

Can he even digest solids? He seems to prefer them then the formula....

My wonky baby boy And me
    Attached Images Attached Images  

He is really young still! Throw a couple of those rodent blocks in a baggie and whack them with a hammer or something until they are boken down into powder and small chunks and pour formula over them. Let sit in the fridge for a few minutes to soften up, heat and serve in a little dish. way the little tyrant can be a big boy but he is still getting his formula, which he NEEDS.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    He is really young still! Throw a couple of those rodent blocks in a baggie and whack them with a hammer or something until they are boken down into powder and small chunks and pour formula over them. Let sit in the fridge for a few minutes to soften up, heat and serve in a little dish. way the little tyrant can be a big boy but he is still getting his formula, which he NEEDS.

I mashed up his blocks and mixed with formula, then rolled into a ball. He likes to play with them and eat them

I cannot wait for the Fox Valley to come in, I'm hoping he really loves it so he can get all the food he needs
    Turn your "cant's" into "can's" and your "dreams" into "plans" <3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast