Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding my baby Esbilac puppy formula, but can I...

Default Feeding my baby Esbilac puppy formula, but can I...

I have been raising a baby red squirrel for a little while, feeding him Esbilac puppy formula, but I have a question. I know squirrels (Adult) can have unsalted peanuts (peanut butter too?), and I love peanut butter, I buy expensive organic types in all different flavors, well, I was wondering if a baby squirrel can have a little peanut butter and if I could mix it with the puppy formula? (Make it more tasty >_>)

And, he only seems to really want to eat one full meal a day (one meal of puppy formula, although I do try, and he does get a few mouth fulls, two or three more times in the day) but he does have seeds in his cage, which I know he eats everyday (not sure how much) (it's seeds sold from PetCo for squirrels) And I think he's only six weeks old (He's wobbly, can hold seeds in his hands and eat them, and can curl tail, but he's tiny), which from what I understand, should be eating three puppy formula meals a day, unless I'm wrong.

And, when I wake him up (or he wakes me) in the morning, when he sees me, he stretches his whole body and reaches his hands out towards me, and makes grunting noises, is he happy or upset that he's been woken up?

Thank you so so so so much!

Default Re: Feeding my baby Esbilac puppy formula, but can I...

PLEASE !!!Read this POST (see Link)

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20629

Stop the esbilac---Order Fox Valley --and use the Goats milk formula in the mean time ( see link)
    We Love our squirrels here...Fox Valley will help protect your fuzzers...

Hello, Ghostie, I am in Maine as well. May I ask what part of the state you are in?

The mix for squirrels from Petco is not good at all for squirrels (yesh, I know, go figure). They may like it but it is not nutritious at all. You would be better buying Kaytee Forti Diet for rats which Petco also sells.

We aren't too fond of esbilac around here. Is your squirrel healthy? Are the poops normal - formed little poos or is it soft and mushy? If they are okay, there are things you can add to the esbilac that are GOOD for your squirrel that will make it taste better.

If poos are okay, go to the grocery store and pick up a little 4-pack of Stoneyfield brand Yobaby yogurt in vanilla or banana - both Shaws and Hannaford sell it. Also, buy a small carton of the heavy whipping cream (over by the half and half and coffee creamers). When you make up your esbilac, which is 2 parts water and 1 part powder, add 1/2 part of the yogurt and 1/2 part of the heavy cream. Make sure it is warm enough - he babies like it very warm.

But the preference would be switching formulas for him entirely to a much better formula, which is called Fox Valley and is only available online.

Let me know where you are in Maine - I may be able to help you with some things for your baby.

Okay, thank you, I have been trying to figure out where to order it, the Esbilac was only for the meantime.

And, not as much eating the seeds, he plays with them and hides them... I know red squirrels are much smaller, so maybe he's a tad older than six weeks? He has massive teeth (to me, he's so small, but has quite the teefies) if that helps to tell the age of him.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    Hello, Ghostie, I am in Maine as well. May I ask what part of the state you are in?

The mix for squirrels from Petco is not good at all for squirrels (yesh, I know, go figure). They may like it but it is not nutritious at all. You would be better buying Kaytee Forti Diet for rats which Petco also sells.

We aren't too fond of esbilac around here. Is your squirrel healthy? Are the poops normal - formed little poos or is it soft and mushy? If they are okay, there are things you can add to the esbilac that are GOOD for your squirrel that will make it taste better.

If poos are okay, go to the grocery store and pick up a little 4-pack of Stoneyfield brand Yobaby yogurt in vanilla or banana - both Shaws and Hannaford sell it. Also, buy a small carton of the heavy whipping cream (over by the half and half and coffee creamers). When you make up your esbilac, which is 2 parts water and 1 part powder, add 1/2 part of the yogurt and 1/2 part of the heavy cream. Make sure it is warm enough - he babies like it very warm.

But the preference would be switching formulas for him entirely to a much better formula, which is called Fox Valley and is only available online.

Let me know where you are in Maine - I may be able to help you with some things for your baby.

Thank you so much, I live in Bowdoinham. I'm planning to buy the Fox Valley, as I prefer to feed him what is best. Glad I found this forum, I've been searching for so long and only found information about Esbilac being best for Squirrels. I'm going into town today, so buying the cream won't be a problem, and yogurt of course, so this will be in the meantime before I get the Fox Valley for him. XX

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostie
    Okay, thank you, I have been trying to figure out where to order it, the Esbilac was only for the meantime.

And, not as much eating the seeds, he plays with them and hides them... I know red squirrels are much smaller, so maybe he's a tad older than six weeks? He has massive teeth (to me, he's so small, but has quite the teefies) if that helps to tell the age of him.
    If you can post photos ---we would be very appreciative.... Lot & LotsThey would help other TSB members help determine his age...

Fox Valley can be ordered at www.henryspets.com or www.foxvalleynutrition.com

If you use Henryspets.com, order a bag of the Henrys Healthy Bites food in the growth formula. Better than the pet shop!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001802252933

Not sure how to upload a photo, but if you go to this, you can see a picture of him...

Any chance of a pic???
    If he is 6 weeks.....he's a bit young to be eating ( consuming) solids. He will play with them....hide them.....chew on them.....but not really eat them.
    I have 6 red squirrels right now...and let me tell you.....WOW....they are very very different from your average squirrel. Because they are omnivores....they require more protein. Their nutritional needs are a bit different....and I highly recommend you get the Fox Valley. Make sure you order the 32/40 as it has a higher protein content than the 20/50.
    If the teeth are too long...you may need to trim. I can help you with this if you want. Make sure you have things in there for him to chew on....if he is healthy....he may just wear them down himself. I find they REALLY like applewood sticks.
    Now....when he gets older....he is going to get VERY fast and learn how to escape from just about anything. They are masters of escape...so make sure you have a secure room just in case he does get out without you knowing. ( unplug all electronics and make sure the toilet seat is down)
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

OMG....adorable!!!
    Whats his story????
    Any siblings??
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Quote Originally Posted by jo_schmoe
    Any chance of a pic???
    If he is 6 weeks.....he's a bit young to be eating ( consuming) solids. He will play with them....hide them.....chew on them.....but not really eat them.
    I have 6 red squirrels right now...and let me tell you.....WOW....they are very very different from your average squirrel. Because they are omnivores....they require more protein. Their nutritional needs are a bit different....and I highly recommend you get the Fox Valley. Make sure you order the 32/40 as it has a higher protein content than the 20/50.
    If the teeth are too long...you may need to trim. I can help you with this if you want. Make sure you have things in there for him to chew on....if he is healthy....he may just wear them down himself. I find they REALLY like applewood sticks.
    Now....when he gets older....he is going to get VERY fast and learn how to escape from just about anything. They are masters of escape...so make sure you have a secure room just in case he does get out without you knowing. ( unplug all electronics and make sure the toilet seat is down)
    He carries around his sticks (taste like apple, might be the same as you mentioned) he loves them.

only eight hours a day is he really in his cage, otherwise he's crawling around my bed or sleeping in my shirt, he's such a good boy, he never goes too far, and he's so hyper (Somewhat ADHD) he goes about all hyper, than something catches his attention, then he's on that, or another thing, he's so funny.

OMG....adorable!!!
    Whats his story????
    Any siblings??

We found him in a yard terrified, covered in fleas and mites, when I held him, I got fleas all over my hands, it was bad. I did a lot of research and if he's covered in fleas and such that he's most likely been abandoned. I left him in the yard for a few more hours to make sure his mom wasn't around, but I didn't see her anywhere, or any siblings.

(He's jumping on my shirt and climbing all over me as I type this, he's such a bug)

Im so excited to have another Red squirrel I left out some stuff! LOL
    Yes...I would say about 5 weeks old.

They LOVE LOVE LOVE pinecones...and I would suggest getting a good supply going now. This is a natural food for them...and he will be happiest with as much natural food as you can provide. Get them while they are still closed....and store in the freezer.
    If you can order American pinyon nuts...these are ideal. I prefer to keep them natural and in the cone....so they have to work at it and it helps keep their teeth in check.
    Here's a link to my thread....all about Red squirrels. Lots of pics and lots of good info.
    http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/foru...ad.php?t=28169

Émile Zola

We found him in a yard terrified, covered in fleas and mites, when I held him, I got fleas all over my hands, it was bad. I did a lot of research and if he's covered in fleas and such that he's most likely been abandoned. I left him in the yard for a few more hours to make sure his mom wasn't around, but I didn't see her anywhere, or any siblings.

(He's jumping on my shirt and climbing all over me as I type this, he's such a bug)
    If he was covered in fleas...you might want to give him a dose of revolution. I use the kind for kittens...and just a drop between the shoulders. Works wonders!!
    He doesn't have ADD....LOL...he is just a normal red. They are WAY hyper....and quick.
    I think there are video links on my thread...you can see how fast he is going to be.
    Good save by the way!!! Im so glad he found his way to you....and that you are doing so much research and good for him.
    Guess I should ask....boy or girl?? Im so used to saying him....out of my 8 squirrels....7 are male. LOL

Émile Zola

Im so excited to have another Red squirrel I left out some stuff! LOL
    Yes...I would say about 5 weeks old.

They LOVE LOVE LOVE pinecones...and I would suggest getting a good supply going now. This is a natural food for them...and he will be happiest with as much natural food as you can provide. Get them while they are still closed....and store in the freezer.
    If you can order American pinyon nuts...these are ideal. I prefer to keep them natural and in the cone....so they have to work at it and it helps keep their teeth in check.
    Here's a link to my thread....all about Red squirrels. Lots of pics and lots of good info.
    http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/foru...ad.php?t=28169

Pinecones, check, I'll get some immediately.

Question! How big do red squirrels get as adults (in inches please! >_>) And, the grunting noise he makes sometimes, good or bad? He makes them when he first sees me in the morning and if I leave the room he does as well... (I'm betting it's bad, probably grumpy when he sees me in the morn, but sad when I leave? Or otherwise, happy to see me, and happy when I leave?)

I uploaded another picture of him, he's SO hard to take on of, he won't stop moving and running...he tried to jump from my shoulders onto the shelf behind me, and failed.

My biggest worry, he's not afraid of people at all... When I first found him, he was so excited to see me, he ran up my legs and climbed all over me... When he's weaned and ready to be released, I'm afraid he'll get killed... He loves my boyfriend as well (not as much as me >_<) climbs all over him...

And another thing, my cat came into my room once, and my baby ran to the edge of the bed and was so excited (just like he is when he sees me) he tried to climb all over my cat.... (He hasn't seen a wink of my cat since, I made sure of that).... My boyfriend jokes "We got the retarded squirrel that isn't afraid of anything" ...Not what I wanted to hear, of course.

What does that say about him?

Pinecones, check, I'll get some immediately.

Question! How big do red squirrels get as adults (in inches please! >_>) And, the grunting noise he makes sometimes, good or bad? He makes them when he first sees me in the morning and if I leave the room he does as well... (I'm betting it's bad, probably grumpy when he sees me in the morn, but sad when I leave? Or otherwise, happy to see me, and happy when I leave?)

I uploaded another picture of him, he's SO hard to take on of, he won't stop moving and running...he tried to jump from my shoulders onto the shelf behind me, and failed.
    This all sounds so familiar!! Not being able to get pics....grunting noises.
    The noises are how he is communicating with you. Its not an aggressive thing....he's just talking you could say.
    That noise you hear will get much louder. He will become much more vocal...and much more demanding.
    Good luck getting pics....its almost impossible unless they are eating.
    He sounds absolutely perfect.....full of energy and trusting you.
    How long have you had him?

Émile Zola

If he was covered in fleas...you might want to give him a dose of revolution. I use the kind for kittens...and just a drop between the shoulders. Works wonders!!
    He doesn't have ADD....LOL...he is just a normal red. They are WAY hyper....and quick.
    I think there are video links on my thread...you can see how fast he is going to be.
    Good save by the way!!! Im so glad he found his way to you....and that you are doing so much research and good for him.
    Guess I should ask....boy or girl?? Im so used to saying him....out of my 8 squirrels....7 are male. LOL

It's a wonderful baby boy!

I raised baby birds two years ago that my cat decided to bring to me (lucky me) they had to be fed every fifteens minutes, day and night, I stayed up all night for weeks. They became happy, wild birds, let them go, and hoping they're okay to this day.

Squirrels are a lot different than birds, but I love to research and I get excited when buying food for him or toys and such.

My biggest worry, he's not afraid of people at all... When I first found him, he was so excited to see me, he ran up my legs and climbed all over me... When he's weaned and ready to be released, I'm afraid he'll get killed... He loves my boyfriend as well (not as much as me >_<) climbs all over him...

And another thing, my cat came into my room once, and my baby ran to the edge of the bed and was so excited (just like he is when he sees me) he tried to climb all over my cat.... (He hasn't seen a wink of my cat since, I made sure of that).... My boyfriend jokes "We got the retarded squirrel that isn't afraid of anything" ...Not what I wanted to hear, of course.

What does that say about him?
    It all screams youth. He hasn't had his mother to teach him about dangers....now thats up to you! DO NOT let him around other animals of ANY kind. Cats.....although we love them....will kill him in a heartbeat...and one bite from a cat...even a lick....can be a death sentence.
    He approached you the way he did because he needed help. They will go to just about anything if abandoned...even a dog or a cat to try and get help. He sounds like a very normal squirrel.
    Does he have a name yet?

Émile Zola

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast