Thread: Need to dose kitty for giardisis

Kristal Guest

Default Need to dose kitty for giardisis

So the little kitty that I posted about some time ago still has not been adopted. It seems like she must have giardisis as she has very stinky gas and diarrhea that is persistent and not going away with better nutrition. I have some metro tablets for people here, and I can dilute and give her those. My neighbour has been giving her some natural de-worming treatment to no effect. It includes senna, which seems like a bad idea to me, too.

So she is a small kitty. I don't think she weighs more than six pounds. How much should she get, for how long and how often?

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: Need to dose kitty for giardisis

I am not kitty person...
    I did find this info, still cking for you K.

The dosage of metronidazole is 5.5-11.5mg per pound.
    what size tablet do you have?

have found warnings too, not for use in kitties with bad liver

Default Re: Need to dose kitty for giardisis

Has the kitten seen a vet and had a fecal performed? What is the exact weight of the cat, not just a guess... you shouldn't be giving random medication without knowing what the problem really is. I'm sorry, this board seems to be anti vet at times and I can understand money issues and I can understand some vets won't treat wildlife, but this is a cat and just because it has gas and diarrhea doesn't mean she has giardia.

How old is she, what is her history (i.e where was she found, was she formula fed or nursed, did her mother have health problems, were there siblings in the litter with similar issues, etc) has she been dewormed previously and if so with what and at what age and what dose.

And tell your neighbor to stop giving her the herbal crap, senna is a laxative. I'm guessing that is playing a role in why she has diarrhea.

Sorry if I'm coming off harshly, I hope she improves.

Jill, CVT

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.