Thread: Healthy Baby Weights

Melody_S Guest

Question Healthy Baby Weights

What would be healthy baby weights? Mine are about 3 weeks old and my male is about 47-48g and my female is 40g. I think they are way to small. I am feeding them according to there weight and they are very active and very good eaters. I just am not sure if they are maybe not "fat" enough? the whipping cream upsets their stomach so I have not been using that. As for right now I am in the process of weening them off the homemade formula recipe and transitioning them into the FV. I am sure the FV will plump them up I am just looking to know what they should be weighing.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Healthy Baby Weights

According to Wild Mammal Babies 2nd Edition average weights are:

Birth: between 15 & 25 grams
    1 week: between 25 & 60 grams
    2 weeks: between 60 & 70 grams
    3 weeks: between 70 & 80 grams
    4 weeks: between 80 & 120 grams
    5 weeks: between 120 & 150 grams
    6 weeks: between 150 & 250 grams
    7-8 weeks: greater than 250 grams

Keep in mind though when we find a baby, they have, for the most part, been without Mom for a little and they have had little to no food and they are dehydrated, so the weights will be less...sometimes considerably less.

If the heavy whipping cream is upsetting their stomachs, possibly you could try Yobaby Organic Whole Milk Yogurt (vanilla flavor)

Hopefully this info helps.

EDIT: Also, if you are in the process of transitioning them to FV from the Goats Milk formula, you could add some of the Ultra Boost, which is also made by Fox Valley, to the FV formula. I was very concerned about one of the 5 I raised this past spring...she weighed considerably less than her 4 siblings and IR suggested that I add Ultra Boost, she is now a sleek beauty out in the trees with a tail that never ends and a coat that is shiny enough to reflect sunshine!! (just kidding about the relfection thing, but she is a real beauty)

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Melody_S Guest

oh wow their very small then. Thank you for your post. I have been giving them yo baby full fat yogurt bananna flavored. They definatley eat but yes when I found them the were even smaller and they have SLOWLY been growing, despite how active and lively they are. Will their low weight hinder there developing?

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Melody_S
    oh wow their very small then. Thank you for your post. I have been giving them yo baby full fat yogurt bananna flavored. They definatley eat but yes when I found them the were even smaller and they have SLOWLY been growing, despite how active and lively they are. Will their low weight hinder there developing?
    No, I do not think their low weight now will hinder their development. They have to do a little catching up, but once they are on the FV at full strength you will see big changes...almost overnight. Seriously, FV is some awesome stuff. I used the Ultra Boost with the FV and my smallest little girl flourished on it (the others did too).

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Melody_S Guest

That sounds like magic lol, I cant wait to see it. I love these guys so much I just want them to be healthy. By tomorrow they should be on the FV full strength. Should I be adding yogurt to that? I know the probitoics are important to their stomachs.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.