Thread: Strange Behavior While Eating

brassee Guest

Default Strange Behavior While Eating

Help! We found two baby squirrels on 8/13/11. They are happy and healthy it seems now at approximately 7 weeks of age. We believe these two to be of two separate nests (one is a bit bigger than the other and they were found about 15-20 feet apart). They are doing wonderfully but the larger squirrel has exhibited some strange behavior while eating. Whenever he is eating the espilac soaked monkey chow (mushed up of course), he begins to tuck his head to his chest and attempt what appears to be a front tumble (his head will bob occasionally). Within a few seconds, he will stop and begin eating again. It doesnt seem to be affecting him any (appetite is good, no lethargy afterwards and he plays normally in his habitat) so I guess Im just needing reassurance that he isnt having a seizure. I dont know that I would recognize it if he was having one, I dont know what a squirrel seizure looks like. Has anyone seen this before? :nurse

Default Re: Strange Behavior While Eating

The wet monkey chow is getting stuck in his mouth or throat and he is attempting to dislodge it. Try it dry or dryer, that should help. It's like he is choking.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.